Sponsored by:

Civic Type R vs Subaru WRX??

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2009, 11:22 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Type R vs Subaru WRX??

Hi you guys might be able to answer my question?

I was tempted to either buy a Honda Civic Type R. I have always fancied one of these and in fact very nearly bought one!!

But i was put of by a number of people saying they have no torque at all and unless you thrash them to death tey are quiet slow.

However, i hear conflicting stories from other people. For example a friend at work said he has been in hi friends and it felt very fast??

Can somebody who has driven both cars clear this up for me??

Which car is the quickest in the real world a WRX (Posssibly PPP WRX) or a Civic Type R??

I also considered a Seat Leon Cupra Type R aswell. How do these match up to a WRX??

I am interested to know from anybody who has been lucky enough to drive all these cars??!!!
Old 05 January 2009, 11:24 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ive sat in my mates type r(53 plate) and its quite nippy, but wont be able to keep up even with a standard uk wrx

wiley
Old 05 January 2009, 11:27 PM
subaru-impreza-2000
Scooby Regular

Wrx hands down for me.... I haven't driven a civic type-r but have sat in a few and they just feel well bland They rev there socks off but you never really feel a push off power. With the Wrx you feel it every time you hit boost IMO you just can't beat turbo car's.

And the seat leon well i've never sat in one and honestly I wouldn't want to. They might be quick but to me there erm s***
Old 05 January 2009, 11:29 PM
rev.chris
Scooby Regular

i almost bought a type r, a really nice car, they rev up to like 9000, i loved the driveof it, cant folt it, but love the drive of the scooby more, take one out for a spin,
Old 05 January 2009, 11:30 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

I had a Type-R for two years and they will keep up with a standard WRX very well. There is very little in it until you bring in tight corners where the AWD and power delivery comes in. On a track there would be very little in it.
Old 05 January 2009, 11:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Civic Type R (and this has been done to death by the way ) will be quicker when moving over the WRX (both cars standard) so your question has been answered but you can seat people in the subaru better than you can in a civic type r

Tony
Old 05 January 2009, 11:45 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

you probably know this allready ,but the reason you have to rev the **** of the rtype is because the vtec kicks in at 5500 revs ,or around there, take it upto the redline change gear and it drops back to 5500 and of you go again and so on,unlike my sti the crx vtec i had kept pulling right upto the redline,it was only a 1600 mind but you got a kick when it hit vtec also a great sound imo, it needs an induction kit and exhaust to really make a differance to the noise though, i liked reving it hard especially feeling confident it wouldnt go bang ,it is the most reliable engine out there, or one of them anyway.
i did nearly buy one but went for an sti6 because i wanted the 280bhp and unfortunatly no honda does that kind of power ,nsx not included

it might well be my next car, after all you get very little chance to use 280bhp on the road and i dont feel overly confident in reliability to use it on track,

you will probably allways want the extra power of the wrx if you buy the rtype

the choice is yours

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2009, 11:54 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys for your input.

I just wanted my mind putting at rest!!

I have always liked turbo power. After all i have had in the past a Scooby Classic, GTO Twin Turbo Tuned to 380bhp and i have just sold a absolute mint Supra TT to a guy in Germany.

now i am just looking for a sensible every day car to use. thats why i was thinking of something like a 2005 WRX. I know they are not as quick as the STI but for the money they seem a bargain!!

I might go for a PPP version just for a little extra power!!!

Anybody got a WRX PPP? Does it make a big difference?
Old 05 January 2009, 11:59 PM
rev.chris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stigaz
you probably know this allready ,but the reason you have to rev the **** of the rtype is because the vtec kicks in at 5500 revs ,or around there, take it upto the redline change gear and it drops back to 5500 and of you go again and so on,unlike my sti the crx vtec i had kept pulling right upto the redline,it was only a 1600 mind but you got a kick when it hit vtec also a great sound imo, it needs an induction kit and exhaust to really make a differance to the noise though, i liked reving it hard especially feeling confident it wouldnt go bang ,it is the most reliable engine out there, or one of them anyway.
i did nearly buy one but went for an sti6 because i wanted the 280bhp and unfortunatly no honda does that kind of power ,nsx not included

it might well be my next car, after all you get very little chance to use 280bhp on the road and i dont feel overly confident in reliability to use it on track,

you will probably allways want the extra power of the wrx if you buy the rtype

the choice is yours

so agree, i had a 2.2 vtec prelude, loved that car, had an induction kit an full scorpion zorst, sounded great,
Old 06 January 2009, 12:04 AM
290 AND READY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ved
I had a Type-R for two years and they will keep up with a standard WRX very well. There is very little in it until you bring in tight corners where the AWD and power delivery comes in. On a track there would be very little in it.
Could not agree more
I live with my two bros who both have type r and they keep up with me.
Off the line in the wet or on real bends would they only be shown up a little
Even with 286bhp on a wrx they were sticking!
Old 06 January 2009, 12:05 AM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

just thought i'd add that the fastest r type civic is the first one they made, only available as import and in white, rare as hens teeth and have held there value well, cant remember the model year or chasis code .but the more rounder shape, the same chasis shape thats used on the rover and mg

Last edited by stigaz; 06 January 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06 January 2009, 12:15 AM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stigaz
just thought i'd add that the fastest r type civic is the first one they made, only available as import and in white, rare as hens teeth and have held there value well, cant remember the model year or chasis code .but the more rounder shape, the same chasis shape thats used on the rover and mg
You're talking about the EK9 which was a very nice car but away from Hondas stats they weren't as quick as the EP3 UK or the JDM one. Also available in black and yellow too. Amazing power for a 1.6 (185bhp) though and very very raw.

The EP3 is probably the best one for thrashing around however I do like the new UK one. Lots of toys but not overly hot.
Old 06 January 2009, 12:20 AM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

got it now, its the EK9, only a 1600 so would prob lose at top speed, but the fastest on acceleration. just remembered i'v still got my bros my91 civic vtec in the garage, body works in a bad way , i started stripping it intending on fixing the bodywork and using it on track, not touched it for weeks, since i stripped the interior and found layers of dynamat everywhere, inside the doors , floor ,hate that stuff
Old 06 January 2009, 12:22 AM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

can you point me in the direction where you got your info? I was sure they were only in white,
Old 06 January 2009, 12:26 AM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

just checked tha back of a japanese performance mag, the ek9 5.7 0-60 .top speed 140.ep3 6.5 and top speed 146

not bad for a 1600

the 2.0 ep3 has 15 extra bhp making 200 but the weight of the ek9 makes the differance i guess

ps sorry for the hijack ,

Last edited by stigaz; 06 January 2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06 January 2009, 12:34 AM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

jap performance mag also has the earlier wrx 92-00 at 5sec 0-60 .00-05 5.7 2007- 6.1
Old 06 January 2009, 01:04 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Hey stigaz, nice cool grey STI

Tony(also a cool grey STI owner! )
Old 06 January 2009, 01:41 AM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

My friend has a 02 type which has been lightly modded. It just doesn't give you that shove in the back that a turbo does. It can't keep with me in a straight line or on the bends.
Old 06 January 2009, 01:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by mattster12
My friend has a 02 type which has been lightly modded. It just doesn't give you that shove in the back that a turbo does. It can't keep with me in a straight line or on the bends.

If your car was standard you would be in for a little shock
When my MY00 sonic blue turbo first encountered a 170bhp 1.8 civic Vtec, i had difficulty outpacing it, actually i had difficulty out pacing anything, but 3k on the clock she was still pretty tight
Standard v standard a uk wrx or a classic turbo, the ctr would still be quicker after it got moving!

Tony
Old 06 January 2009, 02:16 AM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

Yes thats probably right. but his is running 220bhp and mine 310bhp.
Old 06 January 2009, 06:35 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who in the right mind wants to thrash the nuts off a car just to move it.
type R and WRX at a set of lights WRX wins every time, the thing is with the type r if you dont get 100% traction you spin end of. You will panic spin up or bog.
The only time any type r as kept up with me is on m roads, but then i dont bother as a scooby is not a motorway car.
Old 06 January 2009, 06:49 AM
andyswagon
Scooby Regular

i've drove several civic type r's and loads of wrx's and can say the civic bored me to death! just seemed sooooooo slow and when the vtec kicked in they just wheelspin which looks good if you're a chav but not for a normal person.
Old 06 January 2009, 07:00 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

When my WRX was standard had a play with a Type R, as has been said out of the corners beat him hands down, on the straight couldn't pull away from him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Type R's cost a fortune to mod too.
Old 06 January 2009, 08:04 AM
p060064h
Scooby Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Type R's cost a fortune to mod too. [/QUOTE]

Not really my mate has a stripped out civic turbo close to 400bhp.
He eats gig bikes for breakfast.

And it cost him allot less than it cost me to tune my scooby.
Old 06 January 2009, 08:59 AM
stara
Scooby Regular

agreed the standard wrx is surprisingly outclassed in midrange performance, but not many fwd motors can come near it for off the line acceleration up to a ton. have a look at this site, apparantly some very accurate stats that give you some idea of the performance differential. Car Stats - Front Wheel Drive
Old 06 January 2009, 09:09 AM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

had the fn2 civic for 12 months and to be honest looks great but not that fast very low torque. drive it hard and you will be exhausted in no time as it has to be keep on the boil all the time.find that i can drive the sti much faster but with alot less effort.but does sound great when giving it the beans.
Old 06 January 2009, 09:27 AM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Smile

The Uk type R is nowhere near as good as the JDM spec car. Having tried them both out i'd still stick with the WRX any day of the week. There's nothing wrong with the type R but you really do have to thrash it into the V-tech zone to get anything out of it, handles well too. It just doesn't have the handling and pull of the WRX.
Old 06 January 2009, 09:49 AM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Stratts,

3 and a half years ago, I was trying to make exactly the same decision. I'd spent a year narrowing down a shortlist to the very 3 cars you have.

I studied performance: The WRX was king of 0-60, but in gear times were similar.

Prices: All about the same. The Civic was a bit cheaper, but didn't even have a/c as standard, the WRX and Leon have full climate control.

Economy: Again, all about the same officially. 30.7 to 32ish (but you'll never achieve this).

Reliability: Honda has a slight edge, but Subaru about 9/10 with Seat behind (not Jap!)

I, too, was put off by stories of the VTEC power delivery and as I was using my car to commute and don't drive at ten tenths all the time (more like 2 tenths!), I ruled that one out.

The Leon was coming to the end of its life, but was given an upgrade to 225bhp from 210, so was on a par with the WRX. However, I didn't want a car that was out of date just as I bought it, so it left we with... the WRX!!!

After a bit of research, I found buying an EU import saved me £5k, so it turned into a no brainer, so I bought one.

3.5 years later, I'm still loving it and can't think of anything I'd rather have. I've driven Focus STs, Golf GTIs, R32s, but I still prefer mine.
I think the 4WD alone makes it a better car than the Civic or Leon. No wheel scrabble or torque steer. Even in heavy rain, just floor it and go.

Then there came the PPP. I bought the bits second hand, so cost me less, but now there is no question that I made the right decision. If you can find one with PPP, then go for it.
Old 06 January 2009, 10:39 AM
NAY93WRX
Scooby Regular

My friend has an 03 Type R and my old 93 wrx left him for dead......he won't try again now ive got the sti RA

They are nice quick cars, handle well and sound great.....standard they are'nt as quick as people like to make out.

They are'nt slow by any means, I mean if id been driving a 1.2 corsa for 12 months then the Type R would feel like a rocket ship!

Don't forget, turbo cars are'nt for some people, some people don't like the lag and want instant power throughout the rev range.

You do have to trash the Type R's to get the best of them......which is the point of them

Best thing to do would be to test drive one and see how you feel.

Nathan
Old 06 January 2009, 10:51 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Car magazine rated the Civic Type R as a better car than the STI - both the latest versions.

Honda - Showroom - Civic Type R - Civic Type R vs.<br>Impreza STi Twin Test

Quick Reply: Civic Type R vs Subaru WRX??