Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your import stolen??

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2002, 03:47 PM
TIMH WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently read of a way to find out if your Jap import was reported stolen in Japan, which many are. Something to do with inputting your chassis number to a website.

The thing is I've lost the magazine and wondered if anyone knew how to do this.

Old 19 February 2002, 05:13 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Funy, that all seems to have died a death.
One minute Hampshire constabulary were nicking anything 'Japanese' and insurance companies were going to seize all our cars. But this is the first metion of it in months.

You used to be able to go to your local cop shop and have it checked but sod that, I'll wait till they catch up with me first before offering it to them on a plate

Don't think mine is nicked anyway, got plenty of receipts extra plus the other half can read it all which helps.
Old 19 February 2002, 05:20 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Angry

Friend of mine bought a Jp import land cruiser. Had a call from the cops one day "can you bring your car along for an inspection, we think it may be stolen" He took it along, they told him as soon as he arrived it was nicked (but not rung). Told him insurance company would contact him about reclaiming it. that was over a year ago. nothing. Someone said that if he had it for 3 years without them reclaiming it it was his. Anyone know if this true? At the moment he has over £20,000 sat on his drive which he can't sell and may lose any day!!! On the bright side, it is probable the insurance company would not want to ship it back to Japan, as second hand out there it would be worth nothing, so he may be given the option to buy it (again) cheap.
Old 19 February 2002, 07:27 PM
madness
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I phoned U-Save Automotive and they did a Japanese de-registration check for me.

They check some database in Japan to see if it was properly de-reistered. You give them your chassis no and they give you the details of the car and whether or not it was de-registered.

http://www.car-import-guide.co.uk/features/steal_grey.htm

Their website:
http://www.usaveauto.co.uk/index2.html