Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What amateur, or beginner racing events are there?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2008, 07:25 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What amateur, or beginner racing events are there?

thinking of getting into racing events at some point in the next year or longer, once i have done some work on my car and have spent lots of time on the track.

is there such a thing as amateur or beginner racing events?

would i need to obtain a race licence first?
Old 22 December 2008, 08:18 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

Depends what type of events your thinking of doing.

If it's track your most likely need a National B race license for a starter.
Your be under a novice license and will require signatures at each event you attend to obtain signatures. Once you get enough sigs your then come off the "NOVICE" plate or build up your sigs and as long as you show the clerk of the course you have obtained enough sigs you can have the "NOVICE" removed (black cross with yellow back ground). You can then keep collecting sigs to then upgrade to a National A license.

Your need to obtain a "Go racing pack" (£55 inc P&P and VAT) and book yourself in to a ARDS school to have a practical and theory test (written) both on the same day.
If over the age of 18 you will need to have a medical prior to going to the exam. Unless you don't go for a International license you will not need another medical until the age of 45. From then on it's every year including having a ECG every 24 months.

Once you pass the exam send your details (tracking form inside the go racing pack) to the MSA where you will be issued a license number (remember to send payment for the license itself £46) that will be processed within 3 days.

National B license last for 3 years if you don't do any races. After this time your need to re-take the ARDS.
Once you upgrade to a National A that last for 5 years.

Licenses run from 1st January of that year and expire on 31st December of the same year.

If I were you I'd contact your local club to seek further advice.

If you want to do hill climbing / sprints your get away with a NON-RACE national B and will not require a medical.

http://www.msauk.org/custom/asp/home/default.asp

http://www.msauk.org/custom/asp/spla...sp?chapter=190

Hope that is of some help mate.

Steve

Last edited by Stevesbluewrx; 22 December 2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 22 December 2008, 11:07 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Thats fantastic mate, cheers.
Old 23 December 2008, 05:35 AM
106_enduro
Scooby Regular

If you can get hold of the ards school application elsewhere, don't buy the pack. if it's anything liek the bars test rally pack from the msa it's a fooking **** take. you get a video/dvd, an copy of the blue book (which you get with your license anyway) and the application form. It might help save you £55 which can go on tyres/fuel/more important stuff)

I'm not sure what they focus on with the ards written test, but make sure you learn all the flags, symbols, what they mean and what to do when they are displayed etc also things like race day procedure (signing on, scrutineering, drivers briefing, who to talk to in instances of appeal etc) The rally test focuses on rally symbols at service and stage and the protocol to do with them but with only a 20 minute driving test from what I hear.
Old 23 December 2008, 06:17 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 106_enduro
If you can get hold of the ards school application elsewhere, don't buy the pack. if it's anything liek the bars test rally pack from the msa it's a fooking **** take. you get a video/dvd, an copy of the blue book (which you get with your license anyway) and the application form. It might help save you £55 which can go on tyres/fuel/more important stuff)

I'm not sure what they focus on with the ards written test, but make sure you learn all the flags, symbols, what they mean and what to do when they are displayed etc also things like race day procedure (signing on, scrutineering, drivers briefing, who to talk to in instances of appeal etc) The rally test focuses on rally symbols at service and stage and the protocol to do with them but with only a 20 minute driving test from what I hear.

I understand where your coming from buddy. However you would need to purchase a pack as there is a tracking number on the form itself and is required for office use once it comes to the MSA. This would help the process in the correct direction.

Regardless of buying the pack from the MSA direct or places like DEMON TWEEKS you would still need to have the form within the ARDS pack as this is what is needed to be stamped by the ARDS instructor as well as having your medical info on etc to be sent into the MSA to be issued your license number.

** ANYONE WHO IS TO GET A NEW LICENSE FROM SCRATCH DO NOT TICK FOR THE 3 DAY HANDLING FEE as a new license WILL BE DONE WITHIN 3 WORKING DAYS. IF YOU HAVE AN EVENT LINED UP PRIOR TO THE 3 WORKING DAYS CALL THE MSA ONCE YOU SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS AS FAX/EMAIL COVERAGE CAN BE OBTAINED SAVING YOU A FURTHER £47+ **

** ANYONE WHO HAS A MEDICAL ISSUE WHICH COULD HOLD UP BEING OBTAINED A LICENSE IS ADVISED TO CALL THE MSA DIRECT (ask for Sheila Barter) TO ENSURE YOU ARE ABLE TO APPLY FOR A LICENSE. **

** ANYONE WHO NEEDS SAFETY EQUIPMENT ADVICE ASK TO SPEAK TO Joe Hickerton. **

Steve
Old 23 December 2008, 06:55 AM
106_enduro
Scooby Regular

The other thing to think about is what you really want to do. I know of several people who have done track days in their cars and wanted to go racing. Then got a car, spent £££ prepping it, got to their first race weekend having shelled out for new boots etc too. Then got smacked by some crazy racer after 3 laps and their day is shot and it's put them off racing big time after all that work on a car.

You may want to look at tarmac (possibly single venue) rallying. Its not all roundy roundy. Unless your at somewhere like donnington/3 sisters/goodwood or an airfield (where they run lots of splits), you won't be in a position where others can smack your car off the road, all accidents are down to you. Plus you can try to spread costs with your co driver.

Not trying to put you off racing, it's just something to think about. Afterall, motorsport is a big investment. Also another thing I would highly reccomend wether you take up racing or rallying is go and get some lessons. Granted we all think we are fast, great drivers on the track/forest. But take a few lessons with either a racing or rallying school. Quite a few places let you take your own car too and go over a few prep things with you, on top of teaching you to drive your chosen steed fast. Silverstone have a race and rally school and from people who have been, both are very good (don't know if they let you take your own car though). A good one on one day session could cost you a couple of hundred, but get you 5-10 seconds a lap just by sorting out your technique.

Steve, i wasn't advocating going to demon theives, It's just if you can ask the MSA for the form alone at a reduced rate, I wish I had known before getting my BARS one. Especially as the BARS test itself is another £180 on top of my £40 form. Thats all. But, thats the MSA for you.
Old 23 December 2008, 07:07 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

One very easy way into racing is the Caterham Academy. You don't get to race your road car but that may not turn out to be your best approach anyway.

You join the Academy and pay a one off flat fee which gets you a Caterham (in kit form.... you have to build it), guidance on building it, ARDS licence, entry into 4 sprints and then 4 races. The good thing is that you're all in the same boat as novices and the academy co-ordinator is always there for guidance, telling you where and when to go for scrute, signing on etc etc.

It's also a control formula with very strict rules on tyres, springs, engines etc so it's the same for everyone and only driving ability counts, that's the reason why I haven't compete in the academy.....