Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AOL and IE5

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2001, 11:11 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just signed up with AOL for the free 50hrs thinking that i could use AOL to get the connection and then use IE as the browser. How wrong i was. It seems uou can't use another browser. I figure there is some setting that AOL has set to stop me doing what i wanted. I know that AOL is w@nk but i couldn't resist the free 50hr bit.
Anyone know a way to get IE to work when using AOL's freebie???
Old 27 January 2001, 11:30 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

2wd

It is definitely possible - I'm doing it just now. All you need to do is connect to AOL and then minimise the AOL window. You can then open IE and carry on as normal. At least thats what I do. Depending on how you have IE set up you may have to change some of the settings - probably best if you wait for someone who knows more about these things than me though!

Now Outlook's a different matter. Easy enough to check non-AOL mail but sending whilst connected to AOL is a bit hit or miss.

G
Old 27 January 2001, 11:38 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

This is what i get when i minimise AOL and lauch explorer:-

You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the
Old 27 January 2001, 11:45 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

G, sending and retrieving email worked fine.

Matt
Old 28 January 2001, 01:07 AM
GM
Scooby Regular

Well, if you'd been in the Gyle shopping mall outside Edinburgh on Sat pm it would have been difficult not to have a CD stuck into your hand! You can order one on line from the AOL site or down load it (takes 2+ hours I believe!). Or if you let me have your snail mail address (email off list to tartan45@lineone.net ) I have a spare CD I can post you.

Cheers

George
Old 28 January 2001, 01:20 AM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

George, much appreciated, email of address on it's way. Don't this just go to show that RS'ers and Scoobies can get on!!! Have a look at my post "Anyone Appreciate Cossies?" which got moved to the Muppet Show bit, soooooo much hostility in some people

cheeRS again...Matt
Old 28 January 2001, 12:20 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

Matt

Glad you don't have a problem with email & AOL. Sometimes I can't - its apparently cos AOL don't support Outlook and really want you to use their truly wonderful (not) email software. If it doesn't work, disconnect, reconnect and then try again.

Not sure why you're having problems with IE though. Can you open websites using the AOL browser? One problem is if you're using the Zone Alarm firewall - it doesn't like AOL 5.0. You would either have to turn off ZA or upgrade to AOL6.0. You could also try going into AOL and typing in the keyword "Step 5". There are some connectivity fixes there - the "webutil.exe" seems to sort out a few bugs. If it doesn't I'm sure there'll be a proper expert along soon. Good luck!

George
Old 28 January 2001, 12:57 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

George, I can open anything using AOL's truly wonderful (not) browser. I do have Zonealarm running but have tried disabling it and tried IE again..............no luck. I've also tried the webutil.exe download.......no luck. Thanks for the info George but i guess we'll both have to wait for the experts who will hopefully be along shortly.

cheeRS Matt

PS As i've not tried that route yet, how can i get AOL 6.0?
Old 29 January 2001, 07:48 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

George, Got the AOL 6 CD this morning.

cheeRS m8....Matt
Old 29 January 2001, 10:21 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

Found what was wrong at last:-

Got sick of guessing so i thought i'd look on Microsoft's knowledge base - it worked.

Something had changed an option within IE so that it thought i was using a proxy server (like i know what one of them is).

Anyway it now works so i'm happy again.

cheeRS...Matt