moff1888
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its not illegal there is no problem.
Old 06 December 2008, 11:24 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Difficult to comment for some of us as I think the law is different in Scotland to England.
Old 06 December 2008, 11:26 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you from the Inverness area? Does that not happen quite alot up there? I am sure there have been posts about it before.
Old 06 December 2008, 11:31 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As said if it's not illegal and passed MOT, there's no problem. If said copper stops you again, take the points and fine and then see them in court. They won't have a leg to stand on and it will be thrown out.
Old 06 December 2008, 11:43 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lord Hansard - Publications and Records - Parliament
21 Oct 2008 : Column WA101

The Minister of State, Department for Transport (Lord Adonis): European-Union-type approval legislation in relation to vehicle noise is primarily concerned with ensuring that new vehicles meet specified noise limits and exhaust standards before they are permitted to enter into service. Mandatory EU-type approval requirements have been transposed into UK regulations.

Control of vehicle noise in service is governed by domestic legislation. Under regulation 54 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, alteration of the exhaust system of a vehicle so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases is an offence. The regulation forbids both the alteration of the silencer itself so as to make the vehicle noisier and the alteration of the exhaust system (by, for instance, replacing the silencer with one of a different pattern) so as to make the vehicle noisier.

At MoT, test vehicle testers are required to fail vehicle which are excessively noisy for their type. Enforcement on public roads is carried out by the police, who are able to take action if they suspect a vehicle contravenes construction and use noise, or other, requirements. They have further powers to address noise nuisance under the Police Reform Act 2002 and the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 under which anti-social behavior orders can be served on the vehicle owner, imposing a ban from certain roads or even vehicle confiscation.
____

Originally Posted by Section 59 - Road Traffic Act
The Legislation:

Section 59 Police Reform Act 2002 states that -
Where an officer (PC or PCSO) has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used in a manner which contravenes
Road Traffic Act Section 3 (Careless Driving) OR Section 34 (Driving elsewhere than on a road) AND also the manner of use of the vehicle is causing or has been causing or is likely to cause, alarm distress or annoyance to members of the
public, Section 59 can be used to:-
initially give a written warning (valid for twelve months)
(commonly called a Section 59 Notice)
and on a subsequent occasion to seize the vehicle.
(it will probably end up in the crusher, or may be ransomed back to the owner) There is also a power to stop the vehicle on the road for this offence.
Old 07 December 2008, 12:10 AM
stistussy
Scooby Regular

got something like that with my hks,never use it though.
Old 07 December 2008, 12:24 AM
stistussy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

yes it sound gay,drives gay and looks f ing gay.
Old 07 December 2008, 12:32 AM
stistussy
Scooby Regular

is your car standard,if not what you gonna change next when the pull you?
Old 07 December 2008, 12:40 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car is legal don't worry about it, they will have to get it tested at an MOT station and if it passed like it is it should be fine.

I got pulled over a few nights ago in my sister's impreza (because I was being a tit) and the Police officer was brilliant. He was checking security etc and had a chat
Old 07 December 2008, 12:46 AM
mr.sheen
Scooby Regular

i believe the uk is in the early stages of "communism"
Old 07 December 2008, 01:00 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr.sheen
i believe the uk is in the early stages of "communism"
Originally Posted by Communism
Communism is an economic and political system based on the principle "From each according to their ability, to each according to their need." It stresses that the control of the means of producing economic goods in a society should reside in the hands of those who invest their labor for production. In its ideal form, social classes cease to exist, there is no coercive governmental structures, and everyone lives in abundance without supervision from a ruling class.
Originally Posted by Fascism
A philosophy or system of government that is marked by stringent social and economic control, a strong, centralized government usually headed by a dictator, and often a policy of belligerent nationalism.
People often mistake communism for the type of government which ruled the Soviet Union for the majority of the 20th century. It was closer to fascism really.
Old 07 December 2008, 01:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

All MOT the test does is check that gases are within emissions limits and the system secure and is not leaking.

Noise levels from an MOT stance are totally subjective; a tester "could" say its excessive, but there is no defined limit nor guideline to say what is excessive or not. So with that in mind, as long as the exhaust system is in good condition, it passes.

Noise levels from a Police stance, however are different. As corradoboy has quoted. POlice have the power to pursue the matter further (i.e proove the car is noiser than it should be).

Put it this way, if you have a drain pipe as a tailpipe; you WILL be targeted. Thats is what Police look out for (hallmark of an aftermarket non "E" approved exhaust system, most of which are noisier than original and thus "excessive"). If you had a set of stock looking peashooters, it would be much less likely that you would be targeted - no matter how noisey.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 December 2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07 December 2008, 01:05 AM
phil84
Scooby Regular

It is a bit worrying because it is a grey area so to speak and if you get an arsey copper then you've no hope in the future!!!

I have had this problem as well and he said that my exhaust too had no baffles in it although if he actually looked then clearly he could see that it has. (although it is a little loud )

The hassle is not worth it as it draws un wanted attention. Thats why I'm changing my backbox
Old 07 December 2008, 01:06 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

where can i get a baffle, or is anybody here selling one. mine seems a bit too loud now especially with the up-pipe fitted

wiley
Old 07 December 2008, 01:21 AM
adzer
Scooby Regular

if you have a cat fitted that means the car is legal emmisions wise, so cant hand out points.

police pulled me in my st fiesta and done me for tints and loud exhaust.

they carry tester things in their cars and if its over 97db or round about that figure its too loud, worst they can do is give you a prehibition notice to not drive the car till its been changed or give u a asbo as its classed as anti social behaviour
Old 07 December 2008, 01:35 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Leave it on mate, I'd guarantee it wouldnt be above the "Decided barrier" of the level meters they carry to measure the loudness of something. If they get arsey again theyll only tell you to have another mot and it will pass again and they wont be able to do anything
Old 07 December 2008, 09:58 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

If you change the exhaust from factory fitted to aftermarket exhaust, regardless of whether it passes emissions is illegal.
Only a factory fitted system has been tested to noise and emissions standards, anything else is a grey area.
Even prodrive packs where the exhaust is altered are also considered illegal by some forces as they are done after the vehicle has left the factory, regardless of it being subaru approved..
Andy
Old 07 December 2008, 10:07 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

i have one of the adapters to fit into my exhaust back box, it does make a small difference in the sound. It seems to take the Bass out of the system noise.

just sounds like he was trying to scare you into changing the system
Old 07 December 2008, 10:19 AM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Good to see there are chasing the real criminals, t*ats. Wish they would do something about the noise of motorbikes though.
Old 07 December 2008, 10:35 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wolfie28
Good to see there are chasing the real criminals, t*ats. Wish they would do something about the noise of motorbikes though.
ya an old Harley Davidson, now thats a noisy bike
Old 07 December 2008, 11:09 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Connor_scotland
Would one of these quiten it down

These fit in the end of the tailpipe to quieten the exhaust down by re-circulating the gases and restricting the flow .

Available to fit - 3.5" - 4" - 4.5" - 5" .

(Please inform us what size when purchasing )

NOT COMPATIBLE WITH INWARD-ROLLED TAILPIPES

£33 DELIVERED
A mate made one of these for me and yes it makes a difference. Takes a lot of the "boom" out of it so much so that people in the back of the car can actually hear what I'm saying. If I'm driving 4 up in the car or am going to meetings I put it in otherwise I like the boom !

With regards is it legal I think they'd struggle to prosecute anyone as otherwise you'd only be able to get a replacement exhaust direct from the manufacturer (whichever make that was) which would surely be a monopoly?

Quick Reply: Just got pulled