Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European cheap Subaru STi

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2002, 07:42 PM
Marcusjames
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Subaru had brought out the STi Type UK in an attempt to capture some of the UK grey-import market. Japanese grey imports are not available in mainland European as they are all RHD.

Being in Switzerland I've kept a close eye on the rally rep prices in the hope that I can get a cheap European sourced version. The Evo Tommi edition came to Switzerland in LHD but was CHF 70k (just under £30k) which was comparible with UK.

I've just passed a Subaru garage in Zurich that has a new WRC blue STi in LHD, gold wheels, 265bhp, normal STi features. All this for CHF 49 (under £20k). I was amazed to see one in LHD. This must mean that Subaru are bringing the STi to Europe in addition to the Type UK. Surely under current EU price fixing this car will be available through Belgium and Holland with a pan-European warranty in RHD for considerable less than the current £25k in UK.

Must be worth further investigation.

Marcus
Old 17 February 2002, 07:50 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Yep my thoughts entirely but I cant get the info.
Old 17 February 2002, 07:58 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL just replied to this one on the evo board as well .

Banner ad at the top of the page Litchfield imports 23.5K OTR

Just keep refereshing till you see it
Old 18 February 2002, 01:07 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

The European STi is freely available over here in Switzerland (I read somewhere on here that there have been over 400 orders).

PS. They need to be cheap to leave you with enought left over for your speeding fines!

The 'Type UK' version includes a tracker security system and perhaps some extra underseal (don't know what else) and is (International Motors - IM)the UK importers way of trying to distinguish cars they supply from the otherwise identical Right Hand Drive cars that 'could be' sourced from Europe.

I have not heard of anyone who has been able to place an order for a RHD European STi yet from a Continental dealer. I understand that there is a 'delay' in releasing the prices. This sounds dangerously like restrictive practices to me and 'someone' may get into trouble over this if they are not careful.

Let's hope so!

[Edited by Stephen Read - 2/18/2002 1:09:42 PM]
Old 18 February 2002, 08:14 PM
Marcusjames
Scooby Regular

Stephen

Where in Switzerland are you ?

Regards

Marcus