Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Subaru to Ford......Completely

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2001, 12:02 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, all I need to do is buy a flame red Fiesta, and I will have as much fun as I would with a Scoob? Is that really true?
cause I find that hard to believe.
Ive only been in a Scoob once (so next meet, please can I passenge with someone?), but I do have to say, that although the Fiesta is renowned for its sporty stance, great handling, and terrific performance , I fail to see how anyone could try and draw comparisons between two such entirely different cars.
I think there is a case of self dissallusionment of the highest order going on here, and it aint pretty.
Old 26 January 2001, 12:04 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Wink

must have been eating in one of those dodgy restaurants from restaurants from the hell the other day, and got some nasty brain disease

robski
Old 26 January 2001, 12:06 AM
jasonp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hope he can afford the extra maintenance. "FORD made to mend" or "FORD never to far from your next brakedown" two advertising slogans the pr boys keep suppressing from the bill boards, but not their minds.
Old 26 January 2001, 12:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Blimey - for 9k i would have gone for a 1.7 Puma - Pick up a T reg one for around 9K or so.

My better half has a 1.7 Puma - not as much fun as My Scoob but always puts a smile on my mug!
125 BHP & 40MPG - can't beat em for the money and running costs!

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 26 January 2001).]
Old 26 January 2001, 12:13 AM
CC
Scooby Regular

Smile

lol, hmm i wonder which of you has owned a Vauxhall in a previous life?

Still waging that anti Ford war hey lol , how sad.
Old 26 January 2001, 12:25 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ah, Mr.Rainbird you are indeed a most sneaky boy !!!

Ok, a few replies.

Chiark,
I couldn't get hold of a 106gti to try within the time I had, but thanks for your comment. It's nice to see an objective reply to this thread.

Gussie Cup,
You are guilty of measuring fun by power only. Have you driven a low powered go-kart before. Fun......no sorry it couldn't have been as it's not as quick as an Impreza in a straight line

Robertio,
Yeah, guilty as charged mate, but mostly due to being manic at work. I haven't posted on anything for seemingly ages!!

Robski,
Didn't say it was bigger mate, just more practical
I had the nasty brain disease before I visited the restaurant

SGould,
Mid-life crisis....you cheeky git !!!
Not for a few years yet I hope !

IntegraR,
I'm being objective mate. What is right for me may not be right for you. You may be in an even less position to draw a comparison after only being in a Scoob once, and never having driven the Fiesta ?
I'm not kidding myself either, I'm being honest.

I'm still a huge Scooby fan and will definately own one again in the future. I wanted a new one but will wait until my wife gives birth and our possible house move is completed before I go ahead.

Some of you guys need to be careful about being objective or you will give this board an unfriendly reputation for non-Scooby owning posters. I know, I've been posting on here for a long time.

blubs

Old 26 January 2001, 12:30 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm doing the opposite soon - changing from a 1.7 Puma to a Scoob!!

Steve

PS I'll miss the 40mpg though
Old 26 January 2001, 11:14 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Just thought I would be a sneaky barsteward and post a thread from the RSOC BBS that the foodmeister put on :

Hi All,

I have recently swopped from a Scoob to a Mondeo ST24 (wife pregnant and one on the way). Don't get me wrong I loved the Subaru but after having it for two years from new we decided that a more practical main car was a better bet.
My wife chose the ST24 as she loved the look and high spec and I have to say I'm really impressed. It goes well, and the handling really did suprise me being very agile and balanced for a big car.

Because my wife will use that car for the majority, I could then chose something for myself to use that was smaller, but fun.

I had about £10,000 to spend and wanted something second hand that wasn't too mad, hothatched size. I drove all the usual suspects,
Saxo VTR (pretty good but crepe paper interior),

Peugoet 306 Rallye (fab, but couldn't live with it on my 60 mile daily commute),

Nissan Almera GTI/Sport (better than you'd think but not that good)

The 206gti and Clio 172 were a bit more than I wanted to spend. Anyway, they were all insignificant in the fun factor stakes after I drove the Zetec S Fiesta.

This is one seriously great car. Ok, it's only 110 or so bhp, but the handling is absolutely incredible and it felt right within a couple of miles of the first test drive.

So, yesterday, I picked it up. 3 months old ex directors car in Flame red, done 5,900 miles.

So now, we are all Ford in my family and the Fiesta is just as much fun to drive at any time as the Impreza.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the Zetec s ?

Grinningly Yours

blubs
UNQUOTE

Sorry Blubs, it was too good an opportunity to pass up !
Regards
Mike R
PS. The Fiesta is very good and so is the Puma (they share the same platform)....
Old 26 January 2001, 11:29 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

How can you buy a "hot hatch" and not try the 106GTI? We tried the Saxo and the 106 back to back, and the 106 is an order of magnitude more fun. Just seemed thoroughly sorted.

Fiesta struck me as not in the same class... Still, you pays yer money and takes yer choice. It'd be a boring world if we were all the same. And other platitudes
Old 26 January 2001, 11:32 AM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Question

".......and the Fiesta is just as much fun to drive at any time as the Impreza."

???????????? ??????????????????

Excuse me??
Old 26 January 2001, 11:39 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Cool

That might explain why he has been so quiet recently, he's gone over to the dark side

About £10k to spend though, you can get a new Zetec-S from DC Cook for under £9.5k, so I hope he did not pay anything like that for his one.

By all accounts the Fiesta has had good right ups, personally would have looked at a 306Gti, or Xsara equivalent (S Reg £7k) for that sort of money.

But if the Fiesta is as much fun as the Scooby then, he made the right choice
Old 26 January 2001, 11:39 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

must have been a non-turbo scoob and never taken down a B-road.
Old 26 January 2001, 11:48 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

I didnt think that the mundano was that much bigger, strange.

Although thinking back now, maybe the boot was a bit bigger?

Dont know about going over to the dark side, I think hes in need of some remedial therapy!

poor soul

robski
Old 26 January 2001, 11:56 AM
sgould
Scooby Regular

Its a shame when people go through a mid life crisis.

Maybe he will get better soon and realise he ownes 2 fords - Oh dear!
Old 26 January 2001, 11:59 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Robski, if memory serves me correctly the Mundaneo is about 1 foot longer than a Scooby, and feels even bigger when trying to park the thing as it curves off in every direction
Old 26 January 2001, 01:03 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

I used to own a Puma (till the girlfriend bought it off me) and now I drive a Scoob.

Both excellent cars, can't really compare the two as they are in different classes, but I think Mr Ford has definitely got it right with the Puma, immense fun on the bends AND economical.

I'm not really one for slagging off cars, because most have their good points (even if it's just the audio equipment!).

Be open minded people, have a nip round some country lanes in a Puma, it's not as scary as a Scoob but just as much fun
Old 26 January 2001, 01:04 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Wink

Right Guys,

I am going to leap to the defence of my buddy Blubs here. This thread has all the hallmarks of the 'mines better than yours' bridage a la 6SSK and if it carries on will be forever consigned to muppetdom.

Blubs is entitled to drive whatever he wishes and most definately has not sold out by getting rid of his Scoob. It has been my pleasure to know Blubs for +15 years during which time he has owned any number of vehicles from the sublime to the quite rediculous, one thing has been constant though and that is his ability to understand the extremes of the cars performance, not necessarily outright speed, but in handling. He has the ability to make a 1256 bog standard Chevette seem quick.

So when he says the Fiesta handles well I am inclined to believe him due to the wealth of experience on which he draws. He is far too modest to boast of his road rallying exploits in, of all things an Avenger, but it had to be seen to be believed.

Please leave him alone, he is a valuable contributor to the board who will always appreciate the Scoob for what it is but is objective enough to understand that car buying is about horses for courses and the Scoob is not a 'one size fits all' solution.

Maxwell - non Scoob driver (but would like one as a second car )
Old 26 January 2001, 01:06 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

For a cheap hot-ish hatch, the 1.25 16v Fiesta shocked me in its performance - I am guessing that the Zetec is up from that quite a way. Didn't like the handling much compared to 106 or Saxo, but preferred it to the Clio.

The 106 in all honesty was brilliant fun, and on the right day would be more of a laugh than the scooby as it felt just right - apart from the knackered gearbox on the model I test drove... But on a wet day, I *love* playing in the scooby as there are traction limits that you can find. Any car can be fun, but it'd take a *lot* to get me out of mine at the moment.

Noise-wise, it's supreme and it goes fast enough for me.
Old 26 January 2001, 01:12 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

"So, yesterday, I picked it up. 3 months old ex directors car in Flame red, done 5,900 miles. "

ex-directors car? Blimey wouldn't want to work for that company, what do they give the staff, 10yr old Ladas?
Old 26 January 2001, 01:13 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Paul,

ROFLMAO wondered that too!

robski
Old 26 January 2001, 01:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Blubs
Old 26 January 2001, 01:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Blubs
Old 26 January 2001, 01:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Blubs

Oh it is soooo easy for the 'Oh, i would do it like that' in me to come out

I hope that you (and the other half) are happy with the Fiesta and it gives you many happy and trouble free miles.

Still gonna visit Scoobynet i hope

All the best

Paul

P.S. i have no idea how i managed to post the above two relpies?!?

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 26 January 2001).]
Old 26 January 2001, 01:39 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Awwwwwww, Maxwell (sniff)

Thanks for the kind words M8.

Paul,

Cheers and yes, I will continue to contribute to both boards as I enjoy the banter and opinions that are floated around.

Robski & Paul Wilson,

Staff with company cars?

You should work for BT mate, no such luck

blubs
Old 26 January 2001, 01:42 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Wink

Blubs

"Guilty of judging fun by power alone..." You're right I was BUT I must say in my defense, I have a mk2 Cortina which comes out now and then - a lot less power than the Scoob but still great fun.

Also a 62 Consul (3-litre Essex) which is fun purely because it ONLY goes in a straight line and has NO handling talents at all!

We've also recently had a brief affair with a scabby xr2 during the icy xmas period and yup, absolutely brilliant 'justlikeyoure17again' buzz from it.

Maybe I should try one of the Zetec Fiestas for comparison...... Can I borrow yours.....
Old 26 January 2001, 02:04 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gussie Cup,

Ok, fair enough mate . Which model mk2 have you got?

If you're visiting North Wales at any time drop in

Otherwise take one out if you get the chance. I think you will be very surprised

blubs
Old 26 January 2001, 02:20 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Blubs,

Long time no, err, post....*lol*

Both great cars, no doubting that. Don't expect Jap levels of reliability, though.

Those fiestas are great fun....but....the fun wears off a bit after a while, apparently.

Only downside is *minimum wage* service departments and the big one, oh boy, ...depreciation

Nothing is that good depreciation, but the Mondeo and the Fiesta will be a nightmare come sales time.

Best of luck (and wishes too)

Cheers

D
Old 26 January 2001, 02:24 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Talking

Blubs

The Mk2 was a 1300 Deluxe estate(!), now fitted with 2 litre pinto, 5-speed, rack and pinion and capri struts/suspension.....

...I just can't leave 'em standard!!

Not massive power but very entertaining....
Old 26 January 2001, 03:30 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi D,

Yeah, I seem to be in post semi-retirement at the moment

Don't forget, neither of these cars are new. The Mondeo is £22,995 on the road and I bought a six month old model with 7,000 miles on the clock for £11,500. After that it can depreciate what it likes !!

The Fiesta is three months old and I paid £9,500. Ok, not as much of a bargain I know but I needed it quick and there are not many second hand ones around. DC Cook can get new ones for slightly more but they don't know when!!

Good point about reliability, it's fingers crossed on that one!!

On the whole it's nice to have a little buzz box with minimal running costs and maximum fun. When I get fed up I'll get rid.

Cheers

blubs

ps

GC,

Wow !!! Bet that's challenging in the wet !!

[This message has been edited by blubs (edited 26 January 2001).]
Old 26 January 2001, 03:49 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good luck whatever you drive Mr Blubs.

You were responsible for one of the funniest moments in my BBS reading in the last 12 months (or so) when you reacted to a response to one of your postings on the US BBS, where the bloke referred to you as "bulbs". Honest I cried, I just found your indignation absolutely brilliant.

Keep up the hilarious postings. Erm, I don't mean this particular one of course!

Quick Reply: From Subaru to Ford......Completely