Sponsored by:

test drives ...

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2002, 02:52 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I ordered some brochure stuff off the Subaru website for the WRX and STi. The WRX brochure came a few days ago, and this morning I got a letter from my local dealer saying that some info was on the way, and would I like to book a testdrive for the STI.

I was just wondering if I, (being an ickle 23 years old ) would be okay to jump straight into the STI for a test drive?

Also, what about the WRX? Do you have to book a testdrive also, or are the chances are I can just bowl up and take out a demonstrator?

Cheers for any past experiences guys

John
Old 16 February 2002, 02:59 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I was booked in for a test drive in a Civic type R (for the Missus) at Osbournes in Southend Today

They rang this morning saying I would need £500 deposit to order the car BEFORE the test drive I could have my money back AFTER if I didn't like it

PATHATIC

You should see my letter to Honda which has just gone off to them

Some one is going to get it

phil
Old 16 February 2002, 03:33 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Depends on the dealer.

Go there dressed as though you are wanting to buy one(smart) and they'll be inclined to let you go out without a deposit. Go there looking like a max power reject and you'll be lucky to get a drive at all.

It should'nt be like that I know, but apperance(and the car you turn up in) can count for a lot.

They will normally have someone sit with you, with them driving it out and you driving it back.

When I test drove the STi the other day my local dealer said "we're too busy to get someone to take you out, here's the keys. Don't bend it!" Even when I first came along and test drove my current car they let me take it out on my own, but I think it helped that I had the wife and kids with me.

I would go in looking smart, have a chat to the dealer then book an appointment. If you have an SO bring with them you too.
Old 16 February 2002, 05:07 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have NEVER bought a car (new) without a 24hr drive first, my local dealer was cool with that- they let me do a 10min blast to see if i thought it was what i was after- it was so they arranged a 24hr session 3 days later.

no deposit, just some ID.

Tiggs

ps- turned up a mess in my brothers 106GTI, didnt bother them at all (although i didnt speak to them like a ****!)
Old 16 February 2002, 05:35 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

I once went to look at a Nova (Some years ago), rang the bell and a woman said it was her boyfriends, gave me the keys and said take a test , NO ID, No Nothing

I did return it.. but she was pretty stooopid!
Old 16 February 2002, 07:15 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Wink

Just an Update on my Civic Type R Test Drive

Emailled both the Dealer and Honda UK

Surprise Surprise The Sales manager just rung explaining that the salesman was completly wrong to explain their policy like that

They were just trying to avoid TEST PILOTS driving their cars

Bet his sweating on the Bo**ocking he is going to get from Honda

Phil

Old 16 February 2002, 07:21 PM
Dan Batcheldor
Scooby Regular

I went a test drove a new gen WRX in Aylesbury, turned up in a Sierra, no special clothes, no deposit, 21 years old. They made sure I had a lisence, then a guy took me out and I drove back. Nice car...

Honda dealer (where I got my 93WRX from) just gave me the keys and said get on with it. I bought that one, had some mobs and was a lot cheaper than the new WRX of course. Prefered it as well.

Its probably all to do with the garage at the end of the day.