Sponsored by:

Live on road mapping?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2008, 08:21 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Live on road mapping?

Can anyone tell me from experience what a live map is like when it is you driving and in your own car, that you have done all the work on yourself?, just interested in the structure of the full map with an aftermarket ecu, what sort of stuff you get up too?, is it tiring?, use a lot of fuel etc?
On a private road of course!
Old 24 November 2008, 08:38 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can be tiring and yes you do use a fair bit of fuel.

It can be interesting getting all the scenarios covered, especially in traffic.

I didn't enjoy parts of it, for example there were 'resistance' (I assume) parts to do which involved braking and holding the accelerator. It's was p1ssing down at the time and I had comedy tyres on.

There are times where you have to hold various speeds, revs, boost etc which can be tiring when traveling at speed and trying to watch dials and the road at once.

1st rule of mapping is that you are doing the driving so drive to the conditions. If you can't do something safely don't do it. As you are mapping locally your mapper will have tried and tested routes to choose from

If you don't feel comfortable most mappers will have access to someone to assist their mapping without you.

You will break the speedlimit so enjoy your time on the private road and look out for any uniformed fans.

Mapping the wagon was more fun than the Hawkeye purely because of the available road. Finding 5k revs in 4th, 5th and 6th to tweak overboost in the 2.5 requires concentration.
Old 24 November 2008, 09:27 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX

I didn't enjoy parts of it, for example there were 'resistance' (I assume) parts to do which involved braking and holding the accelerator. It's was p1ssing down at the time and I had comedy tyres on.
Who mapped your car?

In all the years that I have had my car mapped I've never heard of this being done, sounds very strange.
Old 24 November 2008, 09:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 53 has had to suffer unnecessarily!

I think you will find the process may differ slightly between mappers.

Simon
Old 24 November 2008, 09:45 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine done by a well known and respected mapper, and it didn't take long at all. Didn't have to do any 'resistance' runs, and I'm very happy with the result.
Old 24 November 2008, 09:51 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

sounds like fun really, but 53wrx said a good thing about it is you yourself driving and remember that!
Old 24 November 2008, 09:52 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

JGM has live mapped mine twice so far and will hopefully be doing it again in the new year when I have fitted some more parts

I did all the work on mine myself and it was great to feel the car getting more and more powerful as the mapping was progressing
Old 24 November 2008, 10:03 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

on road mapping is great, setup to how you drive the car as thats where it will perform.
1/2 tank of fuel and thats about it and thats on 2 impreza's i have had done.

wouldnt say its tiring its great fun lol the drive to your mapper granted can be very boring off boost but the drive home is way more fun.

traffic can be a bit of a pain but just drop back until you have a gap.

lots of use of gears i.e 3000rpm to say 5000rpm in 3rd then 3000rpm to 6500rpm in 3rd then shift to 4th and do the same again.

I enjoyed it
Old 24 November 2008, 10:10 PM
Scooby_Stu_
Scooby Regular

I'm having mine done on wednesday by JGM through scooby world as they are fitting my decat downpipe first, cant wait

Stuart.
Old 24 November 2008, 10:14 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

andy c is hopefully doing mine on friday and im that excited im doing a little sex wee thinking about it
Old 24 November 2008, 10:38 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

did my on road mapping with simon, did use up most of my petrol... although i had to drive there which was 30-40 mins away

wiley
Old 17 December 2009, 11:16 AM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

Got mine "Road Mapped" at the weekend by Bob Rawle and Harvey Smith. Ended up with a new fuel pump as the old PPP one was past it's peak. They sorted that and carried on mapping. I sat in the back with my wife and held on tight. Very enjoyable experience. The drive home was great. I'm now looking forward to a power run at Scoobyclinic just out of interest but BHP isn't that important to me. It's how it drives on the road. But always nice to have the graph.
Old 17 December 2009, 04:35 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

i loved it when simon did mine as you can feel the diferance between each run which you dont get on a rr as for fuel think i used about 20 quid but had to do a few runs due to doggy exhaust gaskets
freind of mine has his 2.35 done the same day and used 3/4 of a tank but thats runing 530bhp so as for fuel its down to the mods you have
Old 17 December 2009, 04:43 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I loved it. Was nervous at first. Remember hearing my full decat exhaust system for the first time, as i'd limped it there off boost after fitting. It was awesome.

The first run, i thought.....hmmmm, this doesn't feel much difference. Andy replied "That's the low boost map".

Then he flicked the button and i nearly creamed myself. It was a whole different animal. We did have to go to the shell for fuel and coke break
Old 17 December 2009, 06:33 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had mine road mapped twice by JGM and thought it was a great experience, but it is hard to watch the boost gauge and traffic. Its good to feel the differences being made. I used quite alot of fuel but I did travel from Glasgow to Scoobyworld to have it done both times.

Ive done ALL of the work to the car myself apart from the mapping, including the Heatwrap.

Remember the smoke Simon(JGM)?

Last edited by johnlogie; 17 December 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 17 December 2009, 06:48 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnlogie
Ive had mine road mapped twice by JGM and thought it was a great experience, but it is hard to watch the boost gauge and traffic. Its good to feel the differences being made. I used quite alot of fuel but I did travel from Glasgow to Scoobyworld to have it done both times.

Ive done ALL of the work to the car myself apart from the mapping, including the Heatwrap.

Remember the smoke Simon(JGM)?
yes my eyes were streaming.. lol
Old 17 December 2009, 06:50 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_Stu_
I'm having mine done on wednesday by JGM through scooby world as they are fitting my decat downpipe first, cant wait

Stuart.
you remap ***** scoobystu....

its not been 8months since last time.......reminds me i must be due a tweak if you are going again.....
Old 17 December 2009, 07:00 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I had mine remapped by Bob Rawle a few weeks ago.It wasn't to bad,Bob just told me to hold at a said boost pressure etc.then we would pull over and he would upload the map and start over.

Last edited by richie001; 17 December 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 17 December 2009, 07:19 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
I think 53 has had to suffer unnecessarily!

I think you will find the process may differ slightly between mappers.

Simon
I agree - there are big differences. Top of 5th or 6th is a little unnecessary and quite a lot dangerous on the road. With what has happened this year it needs to be kept to how you would normally drive.. I would hope no-one is really getting those speeds when mapping and I would never make some drive how they were uncomfortable doing as it makes it double scarey for me

The journey from car as is to finished item can be short and quick I'd all falls into place and the car responds as hoped or it might take a little gentle persuasion either way the end result makes it great fun for the owner (and mapper)

enjoy
Old 17 December 2009, 07:28 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

I've had days of fun just pootling around and testing different map/ECU settings. However rather than making the changes on the fly I go by the data logs. Drive for a bit, gauge the behaviour, stop and have a gander at the logs and change some more settings depending on the logs. Granted I too have never had cause to drive on the throttle and the brake together. The only issue I've ever had is that I'll finish a particular ECU and then 6 weeks later my fuel trims go out of tolerance, which for me is just an excuse to go back and do some more mapping. Of course, I could just switch the sensor off but where's the fun in that....
Old 18 December 2009, 03:43 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Had my old 2003STI road mapped by Bob Rawle back in 2004

Like Richie said, lots of "constant boost" excelerating while holding a gear (usually 3rd or 4th), then stopping and Bob playing with the map..then all over again... oh and dodging plod...

Last edited by scooby L; 18 December 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 20 December 2009, 01:45 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Ahh memories.... of last March.

JGM came to do mine about 9 PM on a cold wet night, out on the old A1 near Ferrybridge. I hadn't driven the car for two months, it had a new Exedy on/off switch in place of a clutch. I felt such a pillock trying not to stall/slip the ruddy thing.

By 11 PM., Simon had had more than enough, and went off to find a hotel down South....

Sadly only managed 392 bhp on BP. Fascinating and I really would like to know more even if I never grow the ***** to map it myself.

dunx
Old 20 December 2009, 02:12 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dynamix
I agree - there are big differences. Top of 5th or 6th is a little unnecessary and quite a lot dangerous on the road. With what has happened this year it needs to be kept to how you would normally drive.. I would hope no-one is really getting those speeds when mapping and I would never make some drive how they were uncomfortable doing as it makes it double scarey for me

The journey from car as is to finished item can be short and quick I'd all falls into place and the car responds as hoped or it might take a little gentle persuasion either way the end result makes it great fun for the owner (and mapper)

enjoy
Some mappers aren't as good as some might have you believe Dunc. JGM however is the real deal both in terms of integrity and ability !

Have you done Dan's winning remap yet ?
Old 20 December 2009, 02:15 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Doing that tomorrow and pleased to be able to help the good cause.
Old 20 December 2009, 02:18 PM
Scooby Senior

Cool, poor fella has waited a long time for the remapping holy grail lol !
Old 20 December 2009, 07:01 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know it, im just fingers crossed about the weather. Whats it like up you way Duncan. The main roads here are ok-ish, i just hope we have a good night. I might give you a bell in the morning to double check

Yes so after a year of saving my backside off to get married, the Mrs wouldnt of been too impressed spending ££ on the scoob, was just excellent timing that Duncan's generous prize came up!

Last edited by Cocker; 20 December 2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 20 December 2009, 09:42 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I have had 3 maps now, my last two by Bob Rawle. His first one i was driving and to be honest i would not do that again if i could get away with it. The latest and second of Bob's maps, i had been to harvey's first and then Harvey drove it whilst Bob mapped and i sat in the back grinning! LOL
Now that one was a lot better for me with Harvey doing a proper job of getting 1 bar. If i could in future i would be wanting someone else to drive whilst the car is mapped. Overall my preference is Bob and i would use Harvey again too. (Not to mention the hospitality both my wife and i received at the house from Harvey's wife).
My only disappointment was then being on Scoobyworld rollers and getting a pi$$ poor result which i feel in no way reflects what the car actually is. In fact, i have not even been near another roller since as i just do not trust the result at all and therefore feel no need to bolster my ego with bigger numbers! LOL.
DISCLAIMER:- Please understand this post is imho and in no way is meant to slight Bob or Scoobyworld or Harvey, ALL of which i would see/use again at 'the drop of a hat'.
Old 20 December 2009, 09:45 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Anyway, stop talking about mapping! I am looking at new parts now! LOL
Hmmm , what can i upgrade next.................
Old 20 December 2009, 11:59 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I had my sister's Impreza live mapped on the roads a couple of months ago and I've got to get the map tweaked after I've fitted bigger injectors, bigger MAF etc.

We started out by gently driving the car to a quiet spot and sorting out the fueling at idle & the idle speed then we went out onto the A roads and did some 3rd gear runs. To start with a run through 3rd gear from 2,000rpm to 6,000rpm took an absolute age, each run got shorter and shorter though Because we mapped at night on a Sunday night there wasn't much traffic around. You have to concentrate harder than normal though, I was more conscious than ever about other vehicles and traffic and made sure there were no other vehicles around before going for a run.

It used around half a tank of fuel and it was a tiring business but it was also very interesting to see what is involved and the mapper kept explaining to me what he was doing, what he was going to try and how he was going to achieve it
Old 21 December 2009, 10:56 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Its even worse when you map the car yourself, so have a few more things to think about then pesky traffic

I did most of mine to and from work as i was travelling down a dual carrigeway with little traffic early in the morning/late at night.

Log
Examine
Tweak
Log
Examine
Tweak
repeat for ever

Quick Reply: Live on road mapping?