Sponsored by:

ESL Daughterboard or Simtek??

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2008, 08:30 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESL Daughterboard or Simtek??

I have just been searching old threads on this very subject, without getting too deep into the subject, and the actual specifications of the car in question, why would someone choose ESL over Simtek and vice versa? just need my mind made up please!,
thanks
Old 23 November 2008, 08:37 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

ESL = less money
Simtek = more features

So i guess it depends on what you want from an ECU.
Old 23 November 2008, 08:39 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

To be honest, it's a bit of a silly question and I don't mean that in a disrepectuful way. It's like asking what is best a sinclair zx 81 or a PC with a quad core zeon processor and 16gb of ram lol.

In short the Simtek is far far far far superior. It has more power, more functionality and more features.

No contest IMO
Old 23 November 2008, 09:44 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
To be honest, it's a bit of a silly question and I don't mean that in a disrepectuful way. It's like asking what is best a sinclair zx 81 or a PC with a quad core zeon processor and 16gb of ram lol.

In short the Simtek is far far far far superior. It has more power, more functionality and more features.

No contest IMO
Or overkill if there not used.
Old 23 November 2008, 09:53 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

No contest IMO
I think that was probably the answer i was actually searching for daz, you might have seen my 20G wagon thread in projects?, i was ready to settle for an ESL, i wanted no real add on features from the ecu, but after speaking to Bob Rawle about the car, i started thinking, well in the summer the car will have a strong built 2.1 cdb in it,and probably a 321 turbo of some description, so an extra couple of hundred quid now will future proof me slightly, and at present i would like to get rid of the MAF and use Simtek and the map system with no BOV.
Old 23 November 2008, 09:59 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport
Would have thought they would all be used, other than the optional ones like AL and LC.

Last edited by T5OLF; 23 November 2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 23 November 2008, 10:03 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Would have thought they would all be used, other than the (2) optional ones.
True, i reckon launch control could be set up far too specific for conditions and surface etc, so might work one day but not the next, as for antilag i would love too have it just for the sound, but is very unlikely i would ever have it on this car!
Old 23 November 2008, 10:21 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Yeah the AL is a bit of a laugh but not much else really. To be honest I would have rather saved the money and left that option off.

I'm on my 3rd gearbox now so don't really fancy the LC. The Simtek is a great ecu at the price IMO.
Old 23 November 2008, 10:26 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 172sport
On a 2.1 forged engine? Would seem daft to go with the ESL.
The Simtek would also give lots of scope for the future. He'll soon get bored of the 20G and want more.

I thought I'd be happy when I achieved 450bhp. Needless to say I'm now chasing 600 of each
Old 23 November 2008, 10:30 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

On a 2.1 forged engine? Would seem daft to go with the ESL.
The Simtek would also give lots of scope for the future. He'll soon get bored of the 20G and want more.

I thought I'd be happy when I achieved 450bhp. Needless to say I'm now chasing 600 of each
Wise words mate, my friend is now chasing 700+bhp in his Impreza! after doing 280, 331, and then 400bhp, decided to stop pissing about and do it properly!!

Back to the thread, Simtek it is then, at the end of the day there a lot of very good reports about it, and its only 300 quid more than the ESL, sounds like no contest to me really!
Old 24 November 2008, 12:17 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Simtek is good, and from reading your thread it would be most suitable.

There are some outstanding queries which have cropped up with it, which whilst not serious I would be happy to pass on via PM.

Biggest bonus is losing the Maf IMHO.

ALS is fun at the push of a button, which I like.

Benefit of the ELS would be that it retains things like the factory settings for cold start etc.
Old 24 November 2008, 07:16 AM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

hi mate, could you pm me please, cheers
Old 24 November 2008, 07:34 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but ... it doesnt have any knock control like using the daughterboard would have. It could save your engine.
Old 24 November 2008, 07:54 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No Duncan, but it does have a very visible knock warning system which the stock system doesn't have.
Knock control isn't the be all and end all, and an engine can break even with it if poorly mapped or if a problem occurs, failing pump,drop in fuel pressure etc etc.
Personally I would rather be alerted to the situation than just push on through it unaware of what was happening.
Map the car on the fuel which is readily available in your area, stick to the same boost levels, and pay attention to the warnings in place and you should never have a problem.
People have been running Motec, Autronics, Gems etc for years and never had any problems with not having knock control.
Old 24 November 2008, 07:55 AM
oxydayCof
Scooby Newbie

Default Collagen Beauty - W

Hello Everybody

I just became a part of this online community here and I would love to be a part of it.

Just love the environment here. Great effort by the admin and mods and every member around.

I recognize the value of the superiorityof videos and links provided by everyone here and hope I can do my own bit of contribution.

Just to start off, I came across this site MyCollagenBeauty.com that is offering a 10-minute Skin Regeneration plan created especially so that individuals that have susceptible skin, acne skin troublescan fully utilize the precious ingredients contained in Collagen Beauty Line products. Using the trouble-free rules of the Program, you can be confident that you will give your skin everything necessary for it to look more beautiful every day.

About 80% of your skin is made from collagen, giving the skin its necessary structure.

Collagen makes skin stronger, thicker and more sinuous, which is what makes skin smooth, firm and strong - and young looking. But regrettably as we age the skin losses collagen and your body slowly produces less and less.

To optimize the effects of skin care using Collagen Beauty Line cosmetics, the 10-minute Skin Regeneration Program was created.

o Apply Collagen Beauty Exclusive to dry and cleansed face. Using your fingertips dab the gel gently into the skin.

o Wait 10 minutes until gel is completely absorbed and you will feel a slight skin tension.

o Apply a small amount of Collagen Beauty GLA Revive, Collagen Beauty Light or Collagen Beauty Marigold Cream and then gently spread it or dab it into the skin.
Old 24 November 2008, 11:33 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Martyn, just wondering are simtek going to remove the need for the cable and software to be tied to that ecu only, i don't want to by a cable for just a remap.

Any other news on the pipeline, things have gone quiet for a while.
Old 24 November 2008, 12:55 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

simple answer cost.

as said previously the cost is way way higher for the simtek, however it has more to it.

but then again y simtek over other ecu's? again cost.

solris is prob the best ecu out there even compared to a motec, however it is more expensive than the simtek, with the motec even higher cost.

your requirments and budget are the deciding factor
Old 24 November 2008, 12:58 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

how does simtek alert the driver on knock detection?
Old 24 November 2008, 12:59 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It flashes the CEL light at you.
Old 24 November 2008, 06:38 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hux309
Martyn, just wondering are simtek going to remove the need for the cable and software to be tied to that ecu only, i don't want to by a cable for just a remap.

Any other news on the pipeline, things have gone quiet for a while.
They have no plans to remove it at the moment, stops people using unofficial dealers to map them.
Plenty in the pipeline but nothing I can discuss as yet.