Sponsored by:

Snow driving

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2008, 04:59 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow driving

Are Imprezas ok for driving in the snow? I've not been out in mine yet in the snow, but just been out in my friends 330Ci and it was a joke, we were all over the shop
Old 22 November 2008, 05:12 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Without snow tyres they're hopeless, especially when braking.
Old 22 November 2008, 05:17 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Without snow tyres they're hopeless, especially when braking.
Agreed and not much better going round corners either, fine for taking off and a straight line. But any car with wide low profile tyres will act like a sledge
Old 22 November 2008, 06:18 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

I think they would be quite good with 4 space saver wheels on
Old 22 November 2008, 06:43 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

have to agree they are rather sh*te in the snow

just about binned mine a few times
Old 22 November 2008, 07:07 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Agreed braking is poo, as ABS comes in too easily, but in the snow you should be using your gears anyway

Saying that there bloody good fun!!!

Another problem I found when I was hooning about in the carpark was that snow packed up between the wheel arch and the wheel eventually not allowing me to turn the wheel....lol

never had too many problems getting it to turn corners though, apart from the brakes I thought it was a very capable car in the snow

Graeme

Last edited by G.Mac; 22 November 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 22 November 2008, 07:11 PM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

proper studded tyres and the impreza is fantastic in snow/ice...

although, studded tyres are probably a waste of dosh in the UK
Old 22 November 2008, 07:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my younger brother has a WRX bugeye took it to the Alps skiing acouple of years ago

went in convoy with a Vectra -- about 2 miles form the resort it was really snowy on the roads

Had to leave the Vectra (it was ALL over the place) -- put all the luggage into the scooby and simply drove right up to the ski resort -- passing loads of abandoned 2 wheel drive cars in the process

so yes -- much much better in the snow

(obviously not rallying just driving to get from A to B)
Old 22 November 2008, 07:33 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

They are pretty good as long as you are SENSIBLE and don't start thinking your some kind of rally driver in Sweden on the rally course, will be far better than a 330 that's for sure
Old 22 November 2008, 08:33 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S3TH
I think they would be quite good with 4 space saver wheels on
That's not so daft!

For snow, you need thin tyres with a bold and sticky tread so the increased weight per square inch and the narrowness cuts into the snow and the sticky bit is a tread that works well in cold temperatures - e.g. Vredestein.

If you are serious about using the Scooby in the snow, get the right kit on the wheels, otherwise go out, buy yourself an old Land Rover [plus thick clothing or you'll freeze] and leave Scooby in the garage. If you have no choice then don't be an idiot: go easy on all the pedals, leave lots of room and even more if the car or truck behind you is too close and take it steady - the laws of physics apply to 4 wheel drive cars too!

And the 330 would a lot better with 150kg of ballast over the back wheels and a full tank of fuel. I put rolls of B&Q lead flashing on the rear seat secured by the seat belts in my various BMWs in what little snow we've had over the past few years, but its another motor I'd prefer park up to protect my NCB and use the Landie instead.

Last edited by noobyscooby; 22 November 2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 22 November 2008, 09:02 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the abs fuse and they are pretty good compared to anything 2wheel drive imho.. only time I had trouble was in about 8inchs of snow as it just then lost traction as the car was lifted on the snow compacted under the car.. driving acorss dartmoor in heavy snow where people were unable to get up hill my impreza fully loaded with four adults and luggage just drove up like a wet road.

Simon
Old 22 November 2008, 09:45 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Yes, i was being serious about using 4 skinny space saver tyres! I think it would work quite well.

what wheel/tyre configuration do the WRC cars use on snow stages?
Old 22 November 2008, 10:44 PM
adman73
Scooby Regular

I have found the Impreza far better than an other normal road car in the snow (except my old renault 5 which had fantastic ground clearance and very skinny tyres).

The only time I've had a problem was when the snow became too deep (approx 6 to 8 inches with some drifting) and was building up against the front spoiler, I turned around before I did any damage.

You've just got to drive to the conditions, be very smooth with all the controls and don't get carried away with the added traction which the Impreza gives you. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can pull away when other cars can barely move. Just remember stopping is a different thing all together, wide low profile road tyres and abs don't do you any favours.
Old 22 November 2008, 11:53 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

they handle great in the snow .... best doughnuts ever lol
Old 23 November 2008, 01:10 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It needs some skill:

Learn to steer using VERY delicate use of the throttle and they are ok

Do any thing stupid with the throttle (like lift off the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear) and the rear-end is all over the place.

It'll also just understeer when you need to turn (thus the need for throttle control), plus it won't be able to stop.

Something you quickly learn with AWD: it gives you traction, but not much else. Keep that in mind and you'll get on fine

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 November 2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 23 November 2008, 01:17 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Yea, if you get uncontrollable understeer just dip the clutch, drive will be cut and you sbe able to regain control.
Old 23 November 2008, 12:30 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Anyone been out today then? weve had a lot of snow here in the east.

Havent got my manual to hand but which fuse is ABS one? is it in engine bay or inside car fuse box?
Old 23 November 2008, 12:39 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Check with your insurers, but pretty certain disabling the ABS will invalidate your insurance.
Old 23 November 2008, 01:13 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

LMFAO you serious?

So what if it developped a fault and didnt work anyway? Or the fuse could have blown through natural causes so to speak.
Old 23 November 2008, 01:28 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

A fault is a bit different to coming on a public forum saying you're going to pull the fuse to disable it.... so to speak...
Old 23 November 2008, 01:32 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Ahh i see the angle you are taking here.

Dear norwich union insurance, I will not be removing my fuse to disable my ABS, as i really know you are on here checking this yadda yahhh etc.

FAIL
Old 23 November 2008, 02:07 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

It would be more like:

===
Dear S3TH,

With reference to your collision claim and subsequent writing off of your WR Blue MY03 STi PPP, we will not be paying your claim and have advised the 3rd party you slid into that you were not insured at the time of the accident due to undeclared intentional modifications to your vehicle, namely the disabling of the ABS system (which our claim assessors have proven following an investigation), so their insurers will be making a personal claim on your remaining assets (house etc) to recover their costs.

As you were also therefore driving the vehicle illegally, the Police have been notified.

Best regards
Your Insurance Co.
===

Now before anyone goes 'yeah right, ain't gonna happen', think about the ways insurers will be trying to get out of paying ANY claim in the current economic climate. The slightest excuse they can find, they'll use. Posting that you're trying to find out how to disable your ABS is a bit dumb, as is disabling your ABS really

Moral of the story; make sure all your mods, everything, is declared in writing to your insurers and keep a copy of what you sent, and don't screw around with your ABS! Also, if you can't afford to insure a modified car, don't mod it!

Old 23 November 2008, 02:21 PM
Adam K
Scooby Regular

ABS off with road tyres is not a good idea IMO, remember it's not there to stop you quicker but to allow you to steer or atleast hit whatever front-first.
I've found that, with studded road tyres, even on lake ices (albeit rugged by other cars with rally tyres) braking and steering is much more in control with ABS on.
Only occasion I pull the fuse is with rally tyres on lake ice.
Old 23 November 2008, 03:24 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Scoobs are great in the snow provided you are not English and insist you can drive on summer tyres due to the fact you don't get enough snow and cold winters to justify changing to the correct tyres.
Old 23 November 2008, 03:28 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

You can drive on normal tyres though. Just have to be extra cautious that's all.
Old 23 November 2008, 03:30 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I see that ridiculous 'insurers wont pay out' type remarks are being made here. They have your money and you have their certificate, so theyre bound. The notion that insurers can elect not to cover you is about as credible as: 'if you dont have a tax disc your insurance isnt valid'.....
Old 23 November 2008, 04:07 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

It was great fun today ...... would have shredded 2 sets of tyres had the ground not been covered in the white fluffy stuff!
Old 23 November 2008, 04:15 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I see that ridiculous 'insurers wont pay out' type remarks are being made here. They have your money and you have their certificate, so theyre bound. The notion that insurers can elect not to cover you is about as credible as: 'if you dont have a tax disc your insurance isnt valid'.....
So naive. If you haven't made an accurate declaration or have changed your vehicle from the specification the quote was based upon, the insurance your certificate provides based upon that quote is obviously not pertinent any more, therefore void. Not so ridiculous when you apply a little thought to it.
Old 23 November 2008, 04:31 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NXG
It would be more like:

===
Dear S3TH,

With reference to your collision claim and subsequent writing off of your WR Blue MY03 STi PPP, we will not be paying your claim and have advised the 3rd party you slid into that you were not insured at the time of the accident due to undeclared intentional modifications to your vehicle, namely the disabling of the ABS system (which our claim assessors have proven following an investigation), so their insurers will be making a personal claim on your remaining assets (house etc) to recover their costs.

As you were also therefore driving the vehicle illegally, the Police have been notified.

Best regards
Your Insurance Co.
===

Now before anyone goes 'yeah right, ain't gonna happen', think about the ways insurers will be trying to get out of paying ANY claim in the current economic climate. The slightest excuse they can find, they'll use. Posting that you're trying to find out how to disable your ABS is a bit dumb, as is disabling your ABS really

Moral of the story; make sure all your mods, everything, is declared in writing to your insurers and keep a copy of what you sent, and don't screw around with your ABS! Also, if you can't afford to insure a modified car, don't mod it!

Don't remove fuse, just replace with a blown one.
Old 23 November 2008, 04:42 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Just done about 25 miles on mostly untreated roads, big cheesy on my face all the way, as has been said, a much much more caperble car in these conditions than any 2 w/d ive ever driven but you still need to keep your sensibility about you

ps What ABS!?!

Last edited by Glowplug; 23 November 2008 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Snow driving