Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2008, 11:28 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Manchester to get road pricing whether it wants it or not

So Gordon's listening is he?
This article says otherwise....

So now Manchester, a city where I've lived, driven and never had any problem with major congestion is to be subjected to the same rip-off as London - no improvement in traffic flow, but batter the motorist regardless.

The Government has been accused of "bullying" Manchester into charging pay-as-you-drive road tolls after it warned the city will lose £1.5billion in public transport funding unless the city's population accepts the scheme.

Geoff Hoon, the transport secretary, said that the money for new trains, buses and trams would be withheld unless a majority of people in Manchester vote "yes" in a referendum on the plan, which is to be held next month.

Mr Hoon told The Times: "There is no Plan B. I would not want people to be under any illusion about that."

Asked if Manchester would get any of the money if it voted "no", Mr Hoon said: "None whatsoever. If the vote is 'no', there will be no central government funding. The rules are very clear."
Old 17 November 2008, 11:39 AM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only takes me 30 min to get in city centre at rush hour from the Airport. Traffic not too bad.

I will have to get the train to work if they bring in the charges, and start being late 4 times a week!

SetoN
Old 17 November 2008, 11:45 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

The Government has been accused of "bullying" Manchester into charging pay-as-you-drive road tolls after it warned the city will lose £1.5billion in public transport funding unless the city's population accepts the scheme.

Geoff Hoon, the transport secretary, said that the money for new trains, buses and trams would be withheld unless a majority of people in Manchester vote "yes" in a referendum on the plan, which is to be held next month.

Mr Hoon told The Times: "There is no Plan B. I would not want people to be under any illusion about that."

Asked if Manchester would get any of the money if it voted "no", Mr Hoon said: "None whatsoever. If the vote is 'no', there will be no central government funding. The rules are very clear."
To be fair, you won't need the funding if the CC scheme is rejected. Only reason you'll need the funding is if it's accepted and everyone is priced out of their cars.

If I were in Man i'd take this opportunity to to Hoon and co.

We did in London but still ended up with the poxy scheme.
Old 17 November 2008, 07:55 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

We used to visit London with friends to see a show,go shopping and sight seeing but stopped when the CC was introduced. We started going to Manchester staying at the Victoria & Albert, but looks like we will be visiting some other place, until they get greedy.
Old 18 November 2008, 12:47 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i know, lets get people to use public tranposrt by making them have pedal bus's, because thats all they'll be able to afford.

who's the brainiac that came up with that one
Old 18 November 2008, 05:51 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's annoying is that:
a) Manchester has a really good public transport system; I took the bus there for years (it's easy to drive but expensive to park) but also
b) Has a perfectly good road network that doesn't get anywhere near as congested as London.

So those who can afford to park do - those who can't take the bus. What's the issue!?

It's typical Labour - pretend to change something in the name of improvement, whereas the real reason is to screw the public for yet more money they can waste.