Sponsored by:

Why am I hearing a knock?

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2008, 06:03 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I hearing a knock?

I have recently fitted Tein S-Tech springs to my car with the standard shocks, now I am getting a knock when I hit a dip in the road from the rear. The front seems to be ok. The knock seems to be coming from the near side. I have thoroughly checked and retorqued all the nuts/bolts etc incase of anything coming loose with settlement and everything is ok, still nice and tight.

I had a look through the arch at the spring and the bottom 2 or 3 coils are very close together which is making me wonder if the coils are bouncing off eachother. Strange that one side is definately worse than the other.

The noise sounds like the wooden floor above the spare wheel in the boot is bouncing about on a hard surface, but its not that cos I've used sticky neoprene to deaden it and seal it down, ruling out that option.

I'm a bit confused and maybe a bit worried cos something somewhere is not right.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Old 14 November 2008, 06:19 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Sounds as though one of the struts has failed. It's a common problem and I'm suprised they lasted this long.
Old 14 November 2008, 07:47 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

This had crossed my mind, but when I fitted the springs maybe a month ago, I pushed the damper rod all the way in on both rear shocks and gave them a wiggle etc and the both came out nice and smoothly as they should. No jittering, loosness or uneveness if you know what I mean, leading me to believe that they where ok. One of the front ones was ****'d as was leaking oil everywhere and so these were both replaced. Rears had no leaks.
Old 14 November 2008, 08:21 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Are the spring ends tight against the dome stops? If not you're hearing them tap home under load.
Old 14 November 2008, 11:32 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

The springs I am very sure are seated correctly, I took great care when installing them to get this bit right. There is no metal on metal anywhere as everything is protected with rubber, by either the sleave that came on the spring or the surround it sits in.

Its not really at tapping noise I'm getting, I'm beginning to wonder if its something else, like a drop link or something. But saying that I'm not sure either cos I had the car up on the ramps a few weeks ago at subaru and asked the mechanic to check all these kinda parts and he said they were all fine.

Whatever it is it's doin me nut!