Non-Turbo Scoobs - sad?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2002, 01:12 PM
Ole Grey Beard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Spotted on the EVO site.

http://www.evo.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18127&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=2&Topic _Title=Non%2Dturbo+Scoobs+%2D+sad%3F&Forum_Title=G eneral+forum

Can't understand why they did not posted on this forum instead !
Old 14 February 2002, 01:18 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

for the lazy folk :

http://www.evo.co.uk/forum/topic.asp...=General+forum

Old 14 February 2002, 01:19 PM
Ole Grey Beard
Scooby Regular

Question

Ok how did you do that???
Old 14 February 2002, 01:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

that would be telling...

{url}http://www.evo.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18127&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=2&Topic _Title=Non%2Dturbo+Scoobs+%2D+sad%3F&Forum_Title=G eneral+forum{/url}

where the { and } are [ and ] and it becomes :

http://www.evo.co.uk/forum/topic.asp...=General+forum

BTW - I don't think they are sad, the handling will still be superb I should imagine, you get four wheel drive and some people cannot or don;t want to pay for the Turbo insurance...

[Edited by Jolly Green Monster 2 - 2/14/2002 1:22:48 PM]
Old 14 February 2002, 01:22 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Probably because they would have attacked by Sport owners?

I must admit, I cannot disagree with a lot of what they are saybing though. Work colleague of mine has had two, and they are underpowered and overweight, and with AWD they are termial understeerers as well.

Geezer
Old 14 February 2002, 01:29 PM
Ole Grey Beard
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Jolly.

And yes my MY01 GX does handle well, stops very well, and is the best company car I have had (30 years, so have had a few), apart from the 309gti , 3.5 Rover in their haydays.
Old 14 February 2002, 01:39 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

What the hell is a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 GLXi then !!!

Trending Topics

Old 14 February 2002, 01:45 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Good driver of a sport will get the better of an average driver of a turbo on the twisties where the throttle doesn't count. Had a MY00 before my RB5 it was a total ball at low speeds. You have to travel so much faster to make the same things happen in a turbo, the sport is low speed tyre squeeling fun
Old 14 February 2002, 02:04 PM
ANDYMCC
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have had a sport and it was fun and cheaper to run and insure, not everyone can afford to run a turbo so its the next best thing, i now also have an RB5 which is just the dogs dangly bits.
Old 14 February 2002, 02:13 PM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

What the hell is a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 GLXi then !!!
but the Evolution VI and VII are based on the Galant, not the Lancer.
Old 14 February 2002, 02:24 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I have a Sport and I think it is the best car I have ever driven (apart from maybe the Tavia RS which is my next car!).

Sure, it doesn't have the bhp of a turbo, but it has comparable handling and is much more affordable.
Old 14 February 2002, 02:37 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

I have a sport and it's fantastic. If I could afford the £2.5k + they were asking for insurance then I would look at a Turbo.
Yeah ok it takes a bit longer to 60 but I get 30 mpg out of mine which you lot can only dream of.

Steve
Old 14 February 2002, 02:41 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

hi i like the sport 2.
got wrx ppp ect but well driven sport does keep up over twisty bits, and i am not a bad driver.

steve
ps don't have to wait once you get there with a sport. just turn off strait away no hanging about for 5 or so min for turbo to oilup/cool thing
Old 14 February 2002, 03:49 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs down

Personally, I think anyone that thinks another is 'sad' for owning any type of car, has their head stuck where the sun don't shine.

Everyone has their own reasons for purchasing their weapon of choice, I too have mine. I didn't buy a Sport because I wanted everyone to think it is a turbo. Its reliable, handles like a dream, insurance is good, its quite nippy (Just as quick as my previous Mk3 Golf GTi), its every bit as good looking as its big brothers and I don't regret buying it one bit.

Every model of car has its different ranges, Imprezas or any Subaru for that matter is no different.

Whats the problem ? Sounds like a case envy to me.
Old 14 February 2002, 03:59 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I cannot accept that a well driven Sport will keep up over the twisty bits, unless you are driving the WRX and a very talented driver is in the sport. Same chassis, less power, narrower tyres! Even if it keeps up round the bends, you'll get left down the straights, even if they are short.

Geezer
Old 14 February 2002, 04:16 PM
Elvis Presley
Scooby Regular

The thing these guys don't seem to get is that Scooby drivers buy the car for the driveability. Not the looks.
In the same way, scooby sport drivers DON'T buy their cars to try and look flash (like turbos).

Subaru sold lots of cars to lots of people before they started making rally cars.

It is like asking why people buy sh!tty A4s instead of buying RS4s.

Do these idiots think that everyone in the world buys a car just for performance/looks.

Ignorance.
Old 14 February 2002, 04:32 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

OK I got it wrong, how about a Galant 2.0 Sport or 2.5D ?
Old 14 February 2002, 04:37 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Well said Elvis

I had a company car choice of a basic Ford Focus or buy a Scoob (albeit a Sport), haven't looked back since. Except at the Focus drivers trailing in by rearview mirror.
Old 14 February 2002, 08:30 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

I cant believe that thread on Evo. What a bunch of narrow minded w@nkers. So according to their argument theres no point in buying anything but the top of the range model in any car model?? WTF.

They know abolutley **** all. My sport does not understeer. At all. It is as fast as a older golf gti. (Not the new 1.8 T ones tho). And I think it looks great.

How can a non turbo be fat & ugly when the only difference cosmeticaly is the bonnet scoop, wheels & zorst?

Most of the posters in that threat are yanks or other foreiners, and IMHO yanks know **** all about making cars. With the exception of the viper theres bugger all come out off USA I would want to own.

I'm really angry now, can you tell?
Old 14 February 2002, 08:55 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

OK I got it wrong, how about a Galant 2.0 Sport or 2.5D ?
Guys the Evo is based around the mitsubishi lancer
-the body used in version 1-3 was a sensible Lancer 1.6 in the UK
- Ver 4-6 were based on the revised lancer which was only sold as an estate in europe, (prolly badge 1.6 GLXi or something)
- Ver 7 is based on a the very ordinary Mitsubisi Lancer Cedia as sold in Japan and the US.

The later Lancers weren't sold in the UK because the Charisma was developed (with Volvo ) for European markets.

Now why can't I remember something useful...
... What day is it???

- Jon
Old 14 February 2002, 09:11 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm still angry. Thats why my spelling on the last post was oooo bad

I just cant believe thir arrogance. One guy firing the abuse drives a punto for ***** sake. How cheap & nasty & butt ugly are those? Fiat are hardy renound for their build quality are they? Plus it will loose value faster than a betamax. So what if its a GT its still a girlies shopping mobile and I would think twice about it.

Same goes for the guy with the 1.6 205. Whoop-fecking-hee you have the same bhp. Well no you dont actually cos my MY00 sport spec has 125bhp not 115, and I can seat 5 and it has a large(ish) boot and I stand more chance of surviving a crash and I have 4wd. I could have bough either of those for the amount of my sport, so why didnt I?? I was clearly wrong to choose my scooby. Not. Torque is more important than bhp anyway. or so I was told.

And is for a 106 xsi. No comment needed I think.

And whats the big deal with rear drum brakes?? 80% of braking is done at the front of the car, and the drums are fecking huge. Rear discs on your shop mobiles are generaly v.small. An I have a hill hold clutch.

Appologies to anyone who owns one of those two cars I just slagged, uless your the tw@ts on the evo forum. I'm really p1ssed at this one and had a bad day at work too.
Old 14 February 2002, 09:41 PM
Carlos The Jackel
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL - someone somewhere will always be slagging the car you own so cool down I cant think of a Golf Gti as slow a as sport except the mk3/4 2.0 8v (not badged gti in the rest of europe cause they are very slow).
Old 14 February 2002, 10:30 PM
my2009
Scooby Regular

Even an 1.6l Non-Turbo subaru will whoop any "not so highly powered" 2WD cars *** on snow/grawel/Wet tarmac... AWD+Hor. oppsed low COG engine will do that!

I have MY02 WRX _and_ 1.6L MY00 1.6TS STW! HAHA! I love them both

[Edited by my2009 - 2/14/2002 10:40:21 PM]
Old 14 February 2002, 10:58 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Ok Ok I keep getting it wrong...........is the Evo based on a Shogun ?
Old 14 February 2002, 11:08 PM
JamieR
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had a Sport before I got a MY00 Turbo. Ride and handling was nowhere near the 306 2.0 XSi I had before, but with a wider torque band than the Peugeot it accelerated quicker - even though it didn't feel like it. Sold me on AWD thing... wheelspin? <snigger> but the Turbo feels very diffent to drive in almost every other way.

J
Old 14 February 2002, 11:45 PM
J Bee
Scooby Regular

non turbo scoob IS sad...every time i see one i'm like, oh god, it's dad with the kids in his scoob 'sport' er...NICE
Old 14 February 2002, 11:48 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

How abt the Proton Wira?? It's actually the same as the Lancer which was the base for Evo 1-3.
Old 15 February 2002, 10:53 AM
sooby
Scooby Regular

DBM,

I've seen a number of folk say that "Good driver of a sport will get the better of an average driver of a turbo on the twisties..." or similar. That's just not a reasonable comment. Most drivers in any car will whip a driver in a better car if the better car driver doesn't know how to drive - where do you draw the line?

I have a Sport and a Turbo. The Sport is great fun but is definately a league behind a Turbo - no match - not even close. But - closer than many other cars.
Old 15 February 2002, 05:31 PM
jac2000
Scooby Regular

I am not old and have no kids. I have read a lot of crap in my time but this takes the biscuit. On the way home, every time I see someone driving an Italian car I shall stop them and ask why they didnt buy a Ferrari.
Do we presume everyone who buys a Legacy,Forrester or Justy is really a depressed soul who cant afford a turbo - I think not.
I love the Turbos - thats why I go to a lot of the meets. Maybe all standard UK Turbo owners should get a life and buy 22Bs - yeah well thats the sort of comments we can do without!
Old 15 February 2002, 05:47 PM
J Bee
Scooby Regular

yep, definately just a turbo is simply NOT good enough nowadays. 22B barely scrapes the barrel. i'm only kidding. But i do think a 'sport' is a bit sad. does not have the same kudos as the turbo at all - remember it is in fact the turbo alone that has elevated subaru as a brand and the 'sport' merely a spin off of this. If the turbo didn't exist the sport would be just another japanses saloooon

Quick Reply: Non-Turbo Scoobs - sad?