Sponsored by:

STi 330S In last place in EVO COTY

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2008, 05:42 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi 330S In last place in EVO COTY

As above have just read it in the new EVO mag Car Of The Year test, came last place in "The real world car test" getting beaten by in the order:

Best first:Real world Cars:

1.Renaultsport Megane R26R
2.Mini John Cooper Works
3.Catrerham Superlight R500
4.BMW M3 Saloon
5.Lexus IS-F
6.Alfa Romeo Brera S V6
7.Fiat 500 Arbarth
8.VW Scirocco 2.0 TSI
9.Renaultsport Twingo 133
10.Subaru Impreza 330S

Overall the Carof the year was The Nissan GTR, Which was well deserved IMO, However what has happend to Subaru and Mitsi(No car there)??

Evo are usually such good fans of the brand, it was reading the magazine that made me buy one in the first place, seems to be that the Hatchback form and the ugly looks combined with hardly any steering feel(even on Prodrive Springs) has made this a car that hardly anyone likes or wants.

Whats the future for the Brand?????????

Its not a bad read TBH, but some of those cars in my eyes should not have a patch on the STi.

Mac
Old 08 November 2008, 05:49 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

The STi seems dead in the water

TX.
Old 08 November 2008, 05:49 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

I had a feeling Renault were going to shape up well this year. They have a great philosophy at the moment when it comes to building driver focused cars and it shows with the R26R and the the 197 Cup.

I'm not really surprised by the verdict on the new Impreza. Subaru have gone far too mainstream in the search of extra sales and subsuequently they have dulled down the Impreza and made it far too soft.
Old 09 November 2008, 07:46 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
I had a feeling Renault were going to shape up well this year. They have a great philosophy at the moment when it comes to building driver focused cars and it shows with the R26R and the the 197 Cup.

I'm not really surprised by the verdict on the new Impreza. Subaru have gone far too mainstream in the search of extra sales and subsuequently they have dulled down the Impreza and made it far too soft.
They have made a big marketing error. You either have to go all out mass car or remain niche. They have done neither. They have alienated their core fans while not really appealing to the mainstream either.... Watch what happens when the credit crunch bites in.....

As everyone can see car prices are dropping like the FTSE index...
Old 09 November 2008, 08:22 AM
MrLouKnee
Scooby Regular

i think we will eventually get the Saloon/Sedan scooby thats been sold in America once Fuji realise the 08 scoobs are absolutely disgusting and not selling in Blighty

if i buy another scooby, it'll be a grey import saloon
Old 09 November 2008, 01:38 PM
Jonlu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not surprise Renault are up there again. Been in an R26 which was an awesome ride so the R26R can only be amazing. I remember the Clio Trophy was also highly rated by EVO, used to own a cup so I know they handle very well. Haven't had the chance to sit in the new Impreza yet so can't really give my opinion on them....except the look is something I need to aquire a taste for.
Old 09 November 2008, 01:55 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

i can't comment on the megane but i have driven the jcw mini and apart from the image thing it's an awesome little car.reminded me of my r5 gtt days many years ago,nearly bought the mini only my mates told me to wise up.

subaru as a new performance car brand is dead.the new sti makes me cringe,I've only seen one new sti and zero wrx on the road since they've been released...they need a major rethink very soon or just give up

Trending Topics

Old 09 November 2008, 02:16 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they needed to shorten the wheel base they should of just offered a coupe version in the saloon base.

Thats what impreza's were all about to me 4 door saloon sports car not a hot hatch.

Immy
Old 09 November 2008, 02:26 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

The new Impreza did win something.... joint 1st place in the 'Losing the plot award'.... I think EVO are spot on there.
Old 09 November 2008, 02:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, i need to laugh at some of you "marketing experts"
The global credit crunch has hit ALL new car sales, not just those of subaru, just look at the news, 3 months and GM said they will be bankrupt, so dont blame this on the new shape car, its exactly what subaru needed to do to gain sales, make the car mainstream.
Now if you want to see bad sales, pop over to mitsubishi and see how many evo x's they have sold, it will be far less than that of subaru

Credit crunch = higher cost of living = no extra spending = reduced luxuries.

Tony
Old 09 November 2008, 02:37 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Not liking the hatchback is fine it's a personal opinion. But have you even seen pictures of the US model so called saloon? It's not a saloon like all previous imprezas have been. It's a hatchback with 4" sticking out of the hatchback where the boot would be if it was a real saloon. So look at some pcitures before you call for them to import it to UK. It makes the hatchback look attractive. Not big or clever.

Personally I prefer a hatchback to a saloon in principle. Make the current one three door, make the widened wings proper wide (22B anyone?) and change the grille so itdoesn't look like a Seat and the shape would work. Then sharpen up the steering and handling give it 380bhp and I might consider one.

But a US style saloon not a chance.
Old 09 November 2008, 04:18 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Sorry, i need to laugh at some of you "marketing experts"
The global credit crunch has hit ALL new car sales, not just those of subaru, just look at the news, 3 months and GM said they will be bankrupt, so dont blame this on the new shape car, its exactly what subaru needed to do to gain sales, make the car mainstream.
Now if you want to see bad sales, pop over to mitsubishi and see how many evo x's they have sold, it will be far less than that of subaru

Credit crunch = higher cost of living = no extra spending = reduced luxuries.

Tony
Tony my post has nothing to do with the credit crunch etc, i am merely pointing out the lack of backing pple are giving the NEW subaru, EVO are not ones to worry about the cost of cars they are testing, i just feel that the have neither went "Mainstream" or stuck to what they do best with the impreza.

They seem to be stuck in the middle IMO and athough ALL car sales are down i bet subaru's are particullarty(sp) bad.

Mac
Old 09 November 2008, 04:19 PM
jho!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
If they needed to shorten the wheel base they should of just offered a coupe version in the saloon base.

Thats what impreza's were all about to me 4 door saloon sports car not a hot hatch.

Immy
The wheelbase on the hatchback is longer and wider than the previous saloon.

I wish all you so called experts would get your facts right before posting. I own a new STI and had a blobeye before. The new car is much better in every way.

I have read the evo car of the year piece. The STI is not slated as many of you may believe (it is in the final top 5) The main problem is the light and slightly vague steering around the 12 oclock position. This is a problem that has been on nearly all impreza's, and can be cured.

Last year the RB320 did not make the final 5 and the evo x did not make it this year.

So yes it is not perfect it may not be the styling that everyone wants. But is is a better car than the previous hawkeye.

PS you don't want the saloon version it's only available is WRX guise in the States and looks likr it should be only avaiable in white with CREDA written down the side.
Old 09 November 2008, 06:20 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jho!

I wish all you so called experts would get your facts right before posting. I own a new STI and had a blobeye before. The new car is much better in every way.

I have read the evo car of the year piece. The STI is not slated as many of you may believe (it is in the final top 5) The main problem is the light and slightly vague steering around the 12 oclock position. This is a problem that has been on nearly all impreza's, and can be cured.

Last year the RB320 did not make the final 5 and the evo x did not make it this year.

So yes it is not perfect it may not be the styling that everyone wants. But is is a better car than the previous hawkeye.

PS you don't want the saloon version it's only available is WRX guise in the States and looks likr it should be only avaiable in white with CREDA written down the side.
Well said.
Old 09 November 2008, 06:56 PM
Scoobyhatch
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Mog
Well said.
Me too, having just bought my third scooby (08 STi) and I fookin love it. Best subaru I've owned and I am still loyal to the brand and enjoy the fact that Subaru are prepared to experiment - remember when the bugeye came out...... Ok new one may be a marmite car but I for one love the new look.
Old 09 November 2008, 07:08 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

There is still no denying that Subaru have made the MY08 too soft though. Litchfield are putting GrpN spec bushes into their cars just to get them back to where MY06 was at.

I believe many reviews have of the car have complained about the excessive body roll.

Subaru should also be giving the UK cars the quick rack like the JDM cars have. It uses different mounting points, or so I've been told, which help to improve steering feedback.
Old 09 November 2008, 07:17 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

The hatch crew are fighting back !!

As the guys have pointed out, most who own the hatch are previous Subaru owners. We are in a position to compare and there is no question the hatch is a better car in many ways.

This does not mean previous Scoobs were bad, the exact opposite in fact. The new STI is a great car which just as the previous models does not appeal to everyone. Performance wise and for the money i still think the hatch is the best out there.
Old 09 November 2008, 07:57 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

There is still no denying that Subaru have made the MY08 too soft though. Litchfield are putting GrpN spec bushes into their cars just to get them back to where MY06 was at.

Subaru should also be giving the UK cars the quick rack like the JDM cars have. It uses different mounting points, or so I've been told, which help to improve steering feedback.
I have owned 2 UK and 2 JDM STi's for road and Track use. Tested a quite a few variations of the 08STiUK, 08STiEU, & 08STiJDM & 08S-GT's with many various "tweaks"

Yes there was a difference in steering feel between JDM(quick rack) and the EU & UK 08STi's I drove. EU & UK 08's definately to light and far too little feedback at moderate speeds (to much PAS IMHO)

Even with coilovers suspension fitted bodyroll was an issue, Totally unsuprised with fitting uprated bushes.
Type20 08STi R&D is now complete apparently, remmapping is not as easy as on previous version as I was offered yesterday a Testdrive by Litcho next week, If I can fit it in between his TV and Magazine tests

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 09 November 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09 November 2008, 08:20 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mickp
This does not mean previous Scoobs were bad, the exact opposite in fact. The new STI is a great car which just as the previous models does not appeal to everyone. Performance wise and for the money i still think the hatch is the best out there.
I have to agree with you and jho! to be fair to the UK08STi it is the best out the Box UK newage car produced. I love the driving position But earlier Models were vastly improved with PPP and Prodrive spring kit.

The MY08 is in a better starting place but obligatory £2500 PPP and Prodrive spring kit may not improve it to the degree other earlier models were

As performance was good as STD I'd be concentrating my "£2500" on just Handling and leaving Performance alone. I am to test a 330S soon so let you know

Tony
Old 09 November 2008, 08:34 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Guys,
as the OP of this thread i am not saying that the 08 STi is a bad car, and dont want it to turn into a slanging match between models and owners, (wish i could afford a new STi,lol)
it just seems to have lost "something" for the performace enthusiast, and to be fair the car tested was the flagship new 330S.

P.s My first subaru was a bugeye, that should tell you that i am used to liking ugly cars,lol

C'mon a Twingo beating it FFS.

Mac
Old 09 November 2008, 08:40 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Default Interceptors

Interesting to see on “Police Interceptors” Demand Five | watch Police Interceptors (last Friday night channel 5 - episode 5 about 26 mins in) that the Police officers that normally drive the saloon Scooby, took the new Sti hatch out for a test drive. Loved it “all round, better in every area”, “this car can be the difference between catching a criminal and one getting away” and that coming from someone who drives the saloon for a living. Now they are looking forward to using the MY08Sti, and who’s more qualified to pass judgment?

Last edited by John Hughes; 09 November 2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added time of article
Old 09 November 2008, 08:48 PM
MrLouKnee
Scooby Regular

i dont think the sedans look that bad, this one looks like its got EU plates on it

Old 09 November 2008, 09:22 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrLouKnee
i dont think the sedans look that bad, this one looks like its got EU plates on it

You are aware that is an Evo?
Old 09 November 2008, 09:33 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

You are aware that is an Evo?
Lol.

Mac
Old 09 November 2008, 10:13 PM
MrLouKnee
Scooby Regular

lol..no..i googled it ..oops

Old 09 November 2008, 11:00 PM
jho!
Scooby Regular

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of seeing a 08 saloon look at 3GWRX.com and look in car gallery. I think most will agree it's best left in the states.

All the presence of a top loading washing machine.

Jho!
Old 09 November 2008, 11:34 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

I think subaru will bring back the saloon. I know that some people here have bought the hatch, but the simply fact is they are not selling enough of them. Pre-credit crunch, not selling them, fullstop!!!!

Subaru are now owned by the biggest car manufacturer in the world. They could have made a better car than the lichfield 25 at half the cost. Why don't they pull their finger out and sort out the subaru brand name.

They produced the spec c so they do know how to do it.
Old 09 November 2008, 11:45 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of seeing a 08 saloon look at 3GWRX.com and look in car gallery. I think most will agree it's best left in the states.

All the presence of a top loading washing machine.

Jho!
I can't think of a more ugly car? That is a f*cking disgrace! No wonder they brought out the hatch.
Old 09 November 2008, 11:53 PM
jho!
Scooby Regular

Subaru makes the STI a hatchback to enable them to be more competitive in WRC. The shape enables the car to have a longer wider wheel base with smaller overhangs whilst having a stiffer body shell.

The car has been designed for the 2009 season which has significant changes over this season, mainly the manufactures are not able to spend the sort of money they are now on the rally cars. Subaru and Prodrive claim they are very well placed for next year with this year used for development of the 2009 car.

Whilst I do agree, a well styled saloon would be a good addition to thier range and may silence some of the hatchback haters. I fear we will never see it as the hatchback is necesary for WRC.

And don't we all want to see Subaru doing well again in WRC?
Old 10 November 2008, 12:40 AM
ghplumb
Scooby Regular

Agreed Well Said

But

You are nt expecting the Hatch haters to read an article on the 08 STi before slating it are you

I had a 54 plate WR Blue STi with PPP and loved it

Now have a 08 White STi which is a better Car all round

Definetly would of got the 330S if I had known it was coming out so soon

I thought the PPP is £ 1600 not £ 2500 though

Quick Reply: STi 330S In last place in EVO COTY