Sponsored by:

Looking for information...

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2008, 02:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for information...

Hi all, I've seen this on ebay. Obviously I can't afford it, but noticed it as it's local to me, and a guy I know of is selling it. I asked the seller what the engine code was, as I was interested to see as the big spoiler and strut brace aroused suspicion.

Anyways, he just confirmed this is the engine code... GC8B48D. Now this is the cose for WRX's but also the same code for the very first run of STi's. Looked on here for confirmation.

Could this be one of the first bunch, and he doesn't realise it? How would you tell? via the gearbox code or something else.

Any other info would be good, as the car I think is a 94 L, and the WRX code finishes 8/93. Seems like it could be worth more than this guy knows if it's a genuine early post production altered STi.

Ta
Old 05 November 2008, 02:56 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Eta Tauri Site Impreza Reference - WRX Frenzy

First STi's were modified from production WRX's so bound to have the same code. Don't know if it's just myth about plates stating the production run as an STi, not that these couldn't be doctored I guess?
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the gearbox code is different for the early STI.
I thought the early STIs still came with the flat spoiler of the wrx
Possibly checking the ecu code as well
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thats the applied model number, not the engine code. The pictures dont really help, but Id say that theres a possibility. Youd expect the vendor to have noticed the plaque on the nearside inner wing though, wouldnt you? The B age identifier refers to MY94 cars, so it begins just after the date youve mentioned, rather than ends then. Its not common to see an original spoiler: it should be alloy, if thats what it is.

PM in hand.

Simon
Old 05 November 2008, 03:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The ECU code would be either SA or SC.
Old 05 November 2008, 05:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Thats the applied model number, not the engine code. The pictures dont really help, but Id say that theres a possibility. Youd expect the vendor to have noticed the plaque on the nearside inner wing though, wouldnt you? The B age identifier refers to MY94 cars, so it begins just after the date youve mentioned, rather than ends then. Its not common to see an original spoiler: it should be alloy, if thats what it is.

PM in hand.

Simon
If indeed it is the gentleman I know of, he does know a little about cars as he's a spray painter by trade. He did a Scoob spoiler for my first car, and has an unusual name for a bloke.

Maybe someone on here should ask him about the plaque. Obviously I've stated I'm interested, but don't think it's fair to ask lots of questions when I have no intention of buying the car.

Just think it could be a bit of history if indeed it was an early STi derivative. My suspisions were aroused when I noticed the My94 WRX has a totally different model number, and hense noticing the STi had the same... that's what threw me.