Got/Want A VTA Dump Valve?? Please Read Here

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2008, 07:05 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got/Want A VTA Dump Valve?? Please Read Here

Hi Guys,

My car had a VTA fitted by the previous owner and with this being the first turbo car I have ever driven I didn't really know how much difference a VTA dump valve would have on the car.
Now I know that this is a little bit of a sore subject on here and has been covered many times before. I have read a lot of posts on here plus lots of others on various other forums and from what I had read I decided to swap the VTA dump valve for the original Re-Circ valve.

After refitting the re-circ valve I took the car for an extended drive and here is my comparison.

Firstly with the VTA fitted I never experienced any problems with car at all. None of the rough idle etc that some people mention.

When driving hard the car was very "raw" especially when lifting off, the car would lurch forward and on reapplication of the throttle the car would throw everyone back into their seat making the journey a rough ride. This was something that I thought was just part of a turbo charged car. The revs would drop very quickly too and the car would lose a very small amount of speed if you weren't quick enough changing gear.
You do however get the pssst noise every time you lift off.

On over run the engine/exhaust note was very loud - I assume because the VTA would be open so constantly venting to atmosphere.

The other major effect the VTA had on my car was the over fueling caused by confusing the ECU due to venting air already measured by the MAF.

So today I fitted the OE item and here is my comparison.

The first and most obvious thing I noticed was the lack of sound and TBH t seemed very strange to begin with. But the most dramatic change I noticed was how smooth the car is now when driving hard.
The first time you plant the throttle you get pushed back in your seat as with the VTA but when you lift of to change gear you stay in your seat. The car doesn't lurch forward, the revs don’t drop as quickly and as a result the car responds straight away when you reapply the throttle. The car still accelerated at the same rate as with the VTA the only difference being that the throttle response is now greatly improved so it starts accelerating sooner.
This smoothness also made the car easier to control on tight corners as lifting of slightly didn't result in car lurching forward so keeping the car balanced was easier to.

On over run the car is almost silent in comparison.

And no more back firing.

So to summarise.

With the OE re-circ valve the car is a lot smoother, has improved throttle response and is a lot quieter.
With the VTA the car feels a lot more "raw", slightly decreased throttle response, spits flames out of the back and sounds a lot meaner.

Now I don't want this to turn in a war/slagging match between those with and without VTA dump valves but more a useful write for those thinking of returning to the OE item or changing to a VTA.
I was unaware of how bigger difference the type of dump valve would have on a car and now I know.
If you want a savage car that lets everyone know you are coming then a VTA dump valve probably for you.
If you prefer a smoother quieter drive then stick with the OE item.

Hope some of you find this usefull.
Old 01 November 2008, 07:21 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HT04
wow. nice thread dude.

i must say tho, im going to keep my bailey on. ive always got the o.e valve here tho if ever i need it. i love the sound and the over fuelling makes the exhaust sound how i want it too. call me chav i dont care.

nice write up tho matey

dan
thank you,

nothing about being a chav...different people, different preffences....i liked the pssssst sound and the back firing did sound good but i think i'm willing to lose this in favour of a smoother drive.

I'm keeping hold of the VTA for the min tho just incase there are any problems with the OE item (its been sitting in the shed a while) and if i decide i want the sound back...although from todays drive i'm not sure i will.
Old 01 November 2008, 07:42 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the sound mine makes when giving it the beans

The DV on my car is a hybrid which I imported from the States, it can be set to recirc, full vta or anywhere in between. Best of both worlds really.
Old 01 November 2008, 08:02 PM
dhforever
Scooby Regular

Remember this is just 1 persons view/experience of VTA dump valves. I decided i wanted one so i bought a turbosmart item not a cheapo baileys/fleabay job then got the car mapped by andy forrest with it fitted. I have the noise and none of draw backs the o.p. found. The problem most people have is they slap a DV on and drive about thinking happy days. If you do things properly then you should have no problems!
Old 01 November 2008, 08:14 PM
sy.
Scooby Regular

thanks for calling my bailey 'cheapo'. maybe one day you could say that to my face.
cheapo bailey d/v's leak like **** imo
Old 01 November 2008, 08:14 PM
dhforever
Scooby Regular

It is is cheap. Well cheaply made. I was not trying to offend you. lol. If you pays your money and listen to people in the know ie andy forrest/ AWD motorsport then you have less problems. This goes for all aspects of modding a subaru. You dont see peolpe like frayz building a monster spec engine then slapping on a baileys dump valve do you?

And yes in my friends experience they leak like f*ck 2

Last edited by dhforever; 01 November 2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01 November 2008, 08:52 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

To be honest, i am a big fan of the recirc valve for sure, and if i did not have a fmic i would definately have the recirc on my car, no quibble.
Old 01 November 2008, 09:04 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sy.
cheapo bailey d/v's leak like **** imo
agreed i had a bailey one and it was poop got me a turbosmart dual port now
Old 01 November 2008, 09:15 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

thanks for calling my bailey 'cheapo'. maybe one day you could say that to my face.
Chill. No need for that. The bloke could be an animal for all you know.
Old 01 November 2008, 09:19 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

my VTA DV was a blitz, not sure if its good/bad cheap/expensive i didn't pay anything for it.

just remember guys i'm not saying either item is good/bad/better than the other...just thought that i would share my experience espeically as my car came with a VTA and i had no comparision to the re-circ.....there may be others that brought their car with a VTA fitted and may be interested in my findings.

also if it makes a difference my car has got PPP fitted but thats it (and i would imagine prodrive developed the map with the OE re-circ valve fitted)
Not everyone can afford to buy the best VTA DV on the market and then pay further still to have the engine remapped to suit.
Old 01 November 2008, 09:50 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i put a baileys on my first scoob and i used to love it but it started sticking open and i had to keep taking it off and cleaning as i couldn't find my oe one.

Anyway when i got my sti i thought i'd get a decent one and so got the HKS, after about 6 months i started to get a bit fed up of the noise so bought a forge re circ, straight away i found exactly the same things as you did cockney wideboy.

If you map them in then all good, but i just got sick of the noise in the end.

Aaron
Old 01 November 2008, 10:55 PM
dhforever
Scooby Regular

I was not dissing your choice of dv. Infact i didnt realise you had 1 until i went back and read your post, but i am sorry all the same. To sum up "my opinion" is that if you want a dv you should spend decent money on a turbosmart/hks/forge item and a remap. If you cant afford this then spend your money on something else worthwhile ie anti roll bar or alk. I was not trying to be elitist or saying i have loads of money look at me.
Old 01 November 2008, 10:56 PM
dhforever
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Chill. No need for that. The bloke could be an animal for all you know.

FYI i am an animal. A ***** cat. ;-)
Old 12 November 2008, 06:50 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Forge DV

I fitted a forge dump valve and spent hours testing the different springs tension to get a different feel. After I had got the noise thing out of my system I have settled for the red/hardest spring. This gives me the best of both worlds. With softer springs fitted you would get a lovely whoosh, but I dont want this when I'm gently rolling out of the road I live in at 10mph changing from 1st to second

also having a softer spring in meant you were losing boost pressure so the car felt more jerky in between gear changes.

IMO the red spring holds the boost better, makes gear changes smoother, is quieter between gear changes under normal driving conditions and gives you a whoosh when you really push hard and change gear at higher revs and doesn't make my sports car sound like a bin lorry and it keeps the pops n bangs

just my findings

Last edited by IainMilford; 12 November 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12 November 2008, 08:41 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Dump valves???

What ever one it is TAKE IT OFF AND PUT IN THE BIN

Then await the noise
Old 12 November 2008, 11:36 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have a VTA dump valve on my car, which was on it when I brought it, the previous owner passed on the original dump valve....

I was thinking of putting it on to see what the difference is. I believe the car was re-mapped with the VTA dump valve in place, would putting the origianl one back on cause any problems if it's been mapped with the VTA? (ECUTek re-map).

And it it and easy job, for a newbie?

Thanks
Old 13 November 2008, 08:44 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

^^^ as far as I'm aware and have been told (by Bob Rawle) that you can put the OE back on without any problems. I know this as my car was mapped with a VTA and Bob said I could put the OE back on with no problem.

I havn't done the job myself but you'll need a 12mm socket and some pliers, dead easy job, just undo the bolts and pull off the hoses and connect/bolt to the OE valve
Old 13 November 2008, 02:03 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

This is an interesting thread to be honest.

I've got a forge VTA at the moment. It's not an OTT VTA to be honest but one thing I will say is I have had to replace all springs and one large piston on the VTA in just under 2 years.

I have just brought a Forge recirc and intend on fitting it this weekend. My ECU has been mapped with over run with extra pops and bangs etc. So I hope the new recirc will still allow this as it will not make the car run as rich.

In terms of the baileys. Each to there own but I got through x3 in a year on my WRX. The hot from the manifold doesn't help them what so ever.
I found the Tirbosmart dualport to harsh even after adjusting on the rollers. I went back to my Forge VTA.

Steve
Old 13 November 2008, 02:30 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

In my experience I found the Baileys VTA to get stuck open causing air to leak out when giving it hard in second/third gear. Bought it new as well.

Fitted a second hand Forge VTA which I bought for £25, and it was both better made, with a stronger spring, and made the exhaust pop/bang like a good un'

If/when I'm back into a scoob, I'll never buy a Baileys one again, I just don't rate them in comparison to the build quality of Forge, or indeed the O.E. re-circ one already on.

Just my tuppence worth.
Old 13 November 2008, 02:42 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

My Bailey is two years old now and still going strong!

Just out of interest, the peoples whose baileys failed, were they anodised at all? maybe corrosion on the bare aluminium ones is to blame?

Just a thought.

Tim.
Old 13 November 2008, 02:48 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

turbosmart wound all the way in to hardest setting for me. only goes off that way at around 6k. i removed the dv completely and the noise was exactly the same except no whoosh, only the chatter of the turbo stalling.
think im going to go back to standard recirc as i like the smooth gear change
Old 13 November 2008, 02:55 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

interesting thread. I have the OEM recirculating dv on my car and it's fine. I really want pops and bangs so I thought about getting a vta dump valve just because I love pops and bangs. I won't do it though because I've heard bad things about them killing MAFS on MY99's
Old 13 November 2008, 03:02 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

i have a Forge recirc on my car and have just tried a VTA unit. The VTA is more aggressive in the way that it makes the car feel. The recirc one is much smoother and more refined.

To be fair, there is zero difference in performance and the VTA made the car jerk on lift off.

The one big difference however, is the total opposite to everyone else. With the VTA very little by way of pops and bangs and with the recirc it pops and bangs like a rally car.

Not sure why, just my findings

Jason
Old 13 November 2008, 04:07 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the standard OEM recirculating valve on my 03STI and running 1.6 bar (courtesy of MD321H turbo ) and with a Hyperflow wing mounted air intake, the noise on a full throttle gear change is every bit as loud as a VTA jobbie - almost embarrassingly loud But of course, being the OEM item, the car drives like a pussycat

Quick Reply: Got/Want A VTA Dump Valve?? Please Read Here