Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morettes and UK300 light conversions

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2002, 07:50 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this option on a new WRX a notifyable modication for your insurance company, after all from what I have read it is a safety improvement as these lights are much better than standard. How many have declared them ?
Old 13 February 2002, 08:22 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Should do Mate - otherwise, if you have a shunt, they might be tempted only to pay out for the standard candles! No other safety/insurance implications, as they basic lights still have to be EU legal.
Old 13 February 2002, 08:30 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Cheers harry

When I spoke to girl at my Ins. Co. she hadn't got a clue about "headlight conversions" and said I should get manufacturers details when I go for car. I have ordered car now without but was going to get Prodrive lights fitted. Insurance co will probably sting me then. Won't bother [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 13 February 2002, 08:41 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Yorkie

I'm with Direct Line and declared my Morettes. No extra premium as they are classed as cosmetic ie they do not increase the performance of the car.
Old 13 February 2002, 08:53 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Madman, cheers M8

Thats great news, as I am moving over to Direct Line when my renewal is due in April. They have quoted me a good figure online but a tracker is essential (I'm having one fitted ) Anyone know what Direct Line are like in the unfortunate event of a claim ?

Yorkie
Old 13 February 2002, 08:54 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Yorkie - please don't misunderstand. I wasn't suggesting that the insurers would load the premium, only that you're wise to tell them. I'd have a word with them on a speculative "what if I were to fit...." basis, and see what they say.
Old 13 February 2002, 09:05 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Yorkie - Direct Line are fine, but quoted me nearly £800 for a MY02 WRX 5 door. Tesco were £650 and Chris Knott (0800 917 2274) only £590 including protected NCD.

Trending Topics

Old 13 February 2002, 09:07 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We declared our Morettes to NFU and and didn't have to pay any premium as they consider them to be purely cosmetic. NFU seem only interested in charging extra for performance enhancing mods, which is nice

Sal
Old 13 February 2002, 09:15 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

This is looking good, sounds like my current insurers (Norwich Union Direct) do not like mods of any kind, so its bye bye to them come renewal.

Thanx everyone, made my day

Yorkie
Old 13 February 2002, 09:18 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

No probs Yorkie M8 - incidentally, what colour you got?
Old 13 February 2002, 09:20 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Yorkie

If your going with Direct Line, a word of advice, as they didn't tell me when I took the policy out and nearly dropped a big clanger

Don't know whether they mentioned it to you when they specified a tracking device but they will NOT accept one where you have to ring the tracking company if some ****** gets their hands on your pride and joy. It has to be a proactive system ie, where the system advises the tracking company the car is on the move without permission. Just a thought to save you spending your hard earned on something they won't accept.

With regard to their service in the event of a claim, luckily not had to find out as yet , but as with all big companies I expect there are good stories and bad.

Edited 'cause I can't spell

[Edited by Madman - 2/13/2002 9:23:51 PM]
Old 13 February 2002, 09:22 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Although they say they are cosmetic - do you think they would pay out for them whe nthey realise how much more they cost than standards ones - especially if you get th HID conversion too?

Its a bit like the spoilers, even when you tell them it is a subaru part they accept without question - untill they have to pay out, and then they say it is not a standard part.

Is there any mileage in this or am i talking BS?
Old 13 February 2002, 09:22 PM
Dan Batcheldor
Scooby Regular

Red face

Interestingly I've just had a shunt, and to replace the headlights with Morettes is cheaper than with the Subaru parts! Wheres the sense in that????
Old 13 February 2002, 09:25 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

FreeT

Make sure they put any mods, cosmetic or performance, on your insurance schedule and certificate, then they can't argue. Direct Line quite happily did this on my policy
Old 13 February 2002, 09:25 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<scratched record mode on>

ANY mods declared to your ins co - put it in writing, not by phone!

>scratched record mode off>
Old 13 February 2002, 09:29 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Madman

Thanks for bringing this to my attention ! I have ordered the tracker retrieve which needs a phonecall The quote I got was online and I am sure I specified Tracker Retrieve from the pull down menu. It certainly listed Monitor as well, but I think I need to check with a human being on the phone now ! cheers M8

Harry_boy - its a silver one, couldn't get hold of a WR Blue one until end April / May. Couldn't wait

Yorkie
Old 13 February 2002, 09:34 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Yorkie

They will not accept the retrieve,only the monitor or horizon.

Agree with Dave T_S and his scratched record, put it in writing to them

Damn spelling - lost without spell checker

[Edited by Madman - 2/13/2002 9:35:39 PM]
Old 13 February 2002, 09:38 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Thanks Madman

Looks like a phonecall to the dealer in the morning then. Monitor is £100 dearer I think. No point fitting one that no one approves. Incidently is it worth it ? Should I take the insurance premium on the chin and put the tracker money towards Prodrive (read cosmetic) mods ?
Old 13 February 2002, 09:45 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Yorkie - before you jump with Direct Line, have a word with Chris Knott - see post above...
Old 13 February 2002, 09:47 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find Direct Line will insist on the Tracker, they won't insure the car for theft until it is fitted.

Everybody has a different view on the subject but personally I would go for the tracker first and Prodrive second, at least if some scumbag gets away with your car there's a chance of getting it back, and the possibility the police might catch the scum.

Security then mods - I have a feeling you've opened up a whole new dedate now though and would like to emphasis to anyone reading this thread this is purely my point of view.
Old 13 February 2002, 09:57 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Harry-Boy, Chris Knott is a broker yes ?
Old 13 February 2002, 10:05 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

That's right Yorkie. They got a figure for me from Wren, underwritten by Lloyds.
Old 13 February 2002, 10:13 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Cheers M8. Got the number, will give em a try
Old 14 February 2002, 08:17 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

You know Madman for a name like that you're pretty bloody sensible and perfectly right. Security is definately the priority, no point in moding it if it aint going to be there in the morning.
Old 14 February 2002, 08:38 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Thats sensible, but what if you have a garage and have secure parking at work ? Seems a bit excessive to have to have a tracker fitted just for peace of mind while your'e at Tesco's etc. I am having one fitted however. It REALLY annoys me though that we car enthusiasts have to go to these lengths to prevent theiving scum when we could be spending the money on mods [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Same thing in 1992 when I had a 205 GTI 1.9 and had to have an alarm fitted retro because hot hatches were getting nicked bigtime. My brother lost his from INSIDE his garage. B**tards jemmied the door open to get it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Where will it all end. Cars are fitted with std alarm immobilisers, insurers now ask for trackers. What next, semtex in the boot ? I wish
Old 14 February 2002, 09:54 PM
scottywrx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Declared my Morettes to Tesco Ins.. No extra to pay but they keep your request on file to keep everything above board .
Tesco < £650 pa... for BBMY01
Old 14 February 2002, 10:17 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Yorkie

I think you just answered your own question in relation to your brother, it may be 10 years later but they still disappear from garages. Get a tracker, I can asure you you will sleep a lot better

FreeT

That's the nicest thing anyones said to me mate . The mad bit comes from my initials not my nature - sorry to disillusion you M8
Old 14 February 2002, 11:04 PM
funky_monk_flying
Scooby Regular

fitted morrettes to our my01 didnt bother informing insurance because i bet the cost difference between morrettes and bug eyes is minimal.
i got some bugs for sale if any nutters pranged their bugeye.
Old 18 February 2002, 01:34 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Madman ( should be Mad"nice"man )

Dont forget your steering wheel lock as well, the ones that cover the wheel - appaerntly your airbag is worth a fair bit and an alarm or imobiliser will not stop its theft in 20 seconds! Just more food for thought - think of tracker as additional insurance as it is all piece of mind really. I fyou thought it was just a lump of metal you were driving and didnt care much then dont get tracker. IMHO

[Edited by FreeT - 2/18/2002 1:37:40 PM]
Old 18 February 2002, 02:05 PM
storm555
Scooby Regular

I have upgraded WRX lights, Prodrive Exhaust and UK 300 Spoiler on my MY01 WRX...told insurance...pay about £80 more so glad I did if that makes sense.....the Exhaust made the difference as ups the power by about 10bhp....

Quick Reply: Morettes and UK300 light conversions