Sponsored by:

Great Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2001, 08:24 PM
Jonty B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi everyone, another newbie in the community.

Apologies if this one has been done to death but here goes.......

I have stopped modifying the house and finally got my priorities right. I will hopefully have about 4k to modify my MY99. So far I've though about:

Leda
Uprated disks, pads, braided lines (not full AP kit)
17 inch rims plus SO2 PP's
Driving lamps
SS Back Box
Unichip
Filter

Cannot see how I can get a lot of change out of that lot. At this stage I probably won't be doing track days, but may be easily converted

Or

Do I go the STI 5 route? If there are any immaculate ones (lowish mileage) for about 18 - 18.5k than this is another route. However this is on the assumption that a personal MY99 import from Holland is now worth 14k'ish (14,000 miles) and I can shift it?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

JCB
Old 25 January 2001, 09:33 PM
CB1
Scooby Regular

JCB,

Rumour has it our Mk1 Impreza's may creep up again in value due to the new style not selling. However whilst tempting the STI is (I have one myself) the old saying goes 'better the devil you knew...etc'. However with insurance companies you may find they will not want to touch you with mods. In that case, get an STI. In the end I'd test drive an STI and decide if you think they are worth it. My guess is you'll probably think one of two things.

A. I have to have one. I don't care about the cost (I did).
or
B. My current car will be awesome with the mods (like the STI) but can I put up with the insurance hassle and extra cost.

whatever you do I doubt your regret it. Come a full circle really havn't I. Been no help what so ever.

Oh hell, Keep your car. Do the mods and then mortgage the house again to by an STI too. At least that way if anything happens to one of them your still have another one....................

Second thoughts, keep your current car standard and enjoy the spare cash.....oh decesions, decisions.

Happy Driving.
CB
Old 25 January 2001, 09:38 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Buy the STI in the first place. Better still a type R.

I have done option 1) and am regretting it.
Old 25 January 2001, 10:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

For my part, I've gone with Leda, Brembo/AP, Prodrive Geo, S Brace, SO2s & SS Lights. Absolutely no effect on insurance whatsoever

However, I now have a car that handles better, grips better & stops better than most others on the road. Being totally honest, there is little chance to use a scoob properly on the road (unless you risk a ban), so why go about modding the engine performance? I would have an SS backbox, but only for aural delight This wouldn't affect my insurance either However, the missus says no (She doesn't know about the other mods either )

I'm happy with PTMW! & as I can overtake most cars on track, nothing to proove on the road
Old 25 January 2001, 11:06 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

If you stick with the UK car, you will have a car that looks better (wheels), handles better (Leda, 17" Rims), stops better (uprated brakes), can see in the dark better (PIAAs), sounds better (filter & exhaust), and is only slightly slower in a straight line than an Sti. Plus you get to keep the year or so that is left of your warranty.

From what I have heard from people who have been trying to get insurance recently, it may even be cheaper paying the extra for the mods than trying to insure an import, especially an Sti.

Having said that, I have asked myself the same question a few times.

SimonM

[This message has been edited by SimonM (edited 25 January 2001).]