Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Meters

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2000, 12:00 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought the AP-22. They will refund the scoobynet discount to my card once they have 6 orders in total.

Rich.
(ps. anybody want to buy my G-Tech Pro? )
Old 20 December 2000, 08:43 AM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Question

Has anyone had any experience of these little gadgets?
Old 20 December 2000, 10:10 AM
NIGE K
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Read the customer reviews. Sounded pretty dam good so I gave the nice bloke at Race Technologies a call.
Technically I do not see why it would not work as described. It certainly would provide comparative readings for any changes made.
Nice Bloke @ Race Technologies has offered a 10% discount to Scoobynet members (initially if 6 or more purchased) but I reckon he wiil honor straight away.
AC22 would now be £108+vat
AP22 (includes facility to download to laptop) would be £144+vat

Cheers

Nige K

[This message has been edited by NIGE K (edited 20 December 2000).]
Old 20 December 2000, 10:19 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you are interested in this, you may want to consider the Road Dyno that you can get from BR Developments.

This will require a couple of points spliced into the loom to give you engine speed.

I calculates power based on time to travel between two different speeds, with software to compensate for frontal area and mass. I am aware that it has produced some 'interesting' figures on some cars.

Like all these things, probably best for comparitive tuning rather than absolute calibration.

The product here has some virtue in being 'wireless' although it would be interesting to see how accurate it is.

R
Old 20 December 2000, 10:34 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Looks very nice

hmmm, maybe after crimbo

or we could push them for a demo?

robski
Old 20 December 2000, 01:47 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Looks like i'm sorted, going to order one for my brother for crimbo (although proberbly spend more time in my car).
Old 20 December 2000, 02:15 PM
CJEN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brought one a couple of weeks ago, the ap-22. It is very easy to use and provides alot of data. I am very happy with it and the company themselfs are very helpful. I will be interested to see what times people get with different mods as this to me is more important than bhp.
Thanks
CJ

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2000, 02:50 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I've been doing some work on developing a system like this for a little while (after doing some work on a system for yacht navigation) but my target price was nearer 300 quid!

To be honest, I don't know how they do it so cheaply! Think I'll give up and buy one of theirs!

Can someone post a review of how well it works and how accurate it is?

Does anyone who's going to Dono on the 30th have anything like this?
Old 20 December 2000, 02:58 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ordered, here on friday, i'll be trying to make it to Donno as a spectator on the 30th, i can take it along with a laptop if anyone is intrested in trying it on the track.
Old 20 December 2000, 03:07 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Yes Pleeease! I'd love to see how well it works!
Old 20 December 2000, 03:15 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ok, i'll try and sort it, i'll keep all the data and i'll e-mail it to you afterwards, and anyone else that wants a go. All i need to do is actually get there now !! Need to loose the works on-call pager !!!

Hope to see you are there.
Old 20 December 2000, 03:34 PM
Mark Kaye
Scooby Newbie

I just bought one of these, should be here Friday morning So cool, can't wait.

M
Old 20 December 2000, 04:58 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I have had an accelerometer made by GAA (Tara meter)- a little more expensive and much more clumsy due to the need for a device to capture the data. Mine displays loads of data, including bhp, torque, 0-60/100 etc with software to display in whatever form. But just the sheer convenience would have led me to buy this one instead. If only I'd known....damn ! Interesting to compare results though.
Old 20 December 2000, 05:08 PM
Boost
Scooby Regular

Smile

A mate of mine has just got one of these and I have messed about with it in the works canteen. It looks as though it will be quite hard to callibrate, as it seemed to need data to do with rolling resistance, how much the car tips on acelerating etc which seemed a bit difficult to measure. He reckons he has it working in the car OK (it just blue-tacs on to the dash) Only thing is it is difficult to test the accuracy without some other measuring equipment. He reckons he will fine tune it with some runs at Santa Pod.
Old 20 December 2000, 05:20 PM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Smile

Rich,

I wouldn't mind borrowing your g-tech pro for a week or so...

Peter.
Old 23 December 2000, 12:33 AM
NIGE K
Scooby Regular

How many have now bought one of these?
Any results as to how good?

Cheers

Nige K
Old 23 December 2000, 02:04 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

I too would be interested to hear comments (good or bad) from anyone who is buying one, as they seem pretty neat.

What more could you ask for - a gadget with a discount!!!!

mb
Old 27 December 2000, 09:30 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Peter - no probs M8

Have not had time to try out the AP-22 yet - will let you know how it performs when I do

Rich.
Old 27 December 2000, 09:38 AM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

I just got one of the GTech Pro accelerometers for Christmas (a very understanding wife...). Doesn't sound like it's quite as comprehensive as the AP22 (think I saw on pistonheads.com that you can get 10% off through them, too), but it's still a laugh. Current best(dry conditions, about 3 degrees C) is 5.98 0-60 (though I'm pretty mechanically sympathetic with my car!). As an fyi, I got 5.78 from my Elise on the way to work this morning... I'm sure there's more in the Scooby though - just need to sort out the launch. Best way yet seems to be to move off relatively slowly and then boot it. Don't fancy doing 5000rpm and sideways off the clutch.

Haven't got around to trying out the horsspower measurements etc. Anyone know what the dry weight of an MY00 wagon is?
Old 27 December 2000, 10:20 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

The GTech Pro is great - I just wanted the data download you get with the AP-22.

With a MY00 UK car with breathing mods the best time I got (GTech Pro) was 5.32 sec 0-60 - that's without side-stepping the clutch.

Re the weight - I use 3000 lbs for a 4dr with driver and full tank.

Actual weights are:
Kerb 1235kg (5 door 1270kg)
Gross 1750kg (5 door 1800kg)

Rich.
Old 27 December 2000, 12:15 PM
NIGE K
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sob
No performance meter in my stocking.
Will have to buy one now.
Old 27 December 2000, 08:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

A few questions for those whom Santa loked favourably on ...

Where do you stick it ?

Do you just leave it on the dashboard (surely it falls off). However, if you use one of those "gripper-mats", then there must be a slight delay in picking up the acceleration (coefficient of rubberyness?) which might impact the readings!

Is the download file in CSV format?

Why can't they fit 64MB smartmedia cards so you can store a decent drives worth of data?

Why do i want one!!!

mb
Old 27 December 2000, 09:09 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Used CJEN's on my car two of us and a full tank =5.3 secs ,also managed a 5.1 but that was on a slight slope.

We'll try it on his Type R when he gets it back
Old 28 December 2000, 08:38 AM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Boomer,

I can answer three of the questions, as far as Smartmedia cards are conerned what you can do is connect it directly to a laptop and download as you drive, so the amount is as big as your disk can manage. The file type is text that is downloaded directly into Hyperterminal, it is there for simple text and can be manipulated in excel etc. The unit comes with velcro pads which hold it pretty secure.
As i don't actually own one, the one i use was my brothers crimbo pressie (I know i'm a cool brother, but you should see what he got me). On a different note how do you get the best 0-60 time without been too brutal ?
Sammyh/CJEN, what setting are you running in yours ?
Old 28 December 2000, 10:20 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Pah! What's the point seeing how fast your car can get to 60 if your not launching at 100%????? The only way to get consistent results is to go ***** out every time. 'Pulling away gently and then flooring it' is certainly not the most efficient way to launch an AWD car. You've lost your advantage once you're rolling, so you need to make the most of the launch.
Do these things give a 60ft time as well, as that is the best indication of how good your launch was. If so, you may like to use my best 60ft time at The Pod of 1.58secs as a comparison.
Happy launching everyone!

Stef.
PS Contrary to popular belief, I have actually only gone through one gearbox (the other two were faulty), and that first one managed 50,000 miles and over 100 runs at The Pod as well as numerous track days .
Old 28 December 2000, 10:24 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Perhaps its because they want to see what it will do under relatively safe(r), less abusive and hence more repeatable without problem conditions Stef (u nutter)

Sunil
Old 28 December 2000, 10:39 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Pah, Humbug!
Still, thank goodness for warranties eh? (which I no longer have! ).
Suddenly, Santa Pod doesn't seem quite so appealing!

Stef.
Old 28 December 2000, 10:43 AM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

I agree about the not giving it 100% comment, but i know my clutch is not at its best, it'll slip, so till its replaced (recomendations more than welcome) it'll have to be wait. What you can do (check the website out) is to plot graphs of the runs, so in theory you can do all your distances, i think it is also possible to set the unit to measure 0 to x feet distance aswell.
Old 28 December 2000, 02:45 PM
NIGE K
Scooby Regular

Apparently once a full blown set of reading have been obtained (0-60, 0-100) any future reading can be taken using a trigger speed of say 10mph allowing you to boot it once the clutch has been let out, but still giving comparative readings compared to the previous results.
This facility also allows you to do in gear acceleration times such as 50-70,etc
These figures will be a lot more useful in determining the real return on a performance mod.

Happy Xmas

NigeK
Old 21 January 2001, 03:23 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Just bringing this back to the top - how are your A*-22's going (for those who bought one)?

My next gadget is going to be either an AP-22 or a Geodesy ('fraid i can't afford one of Kev's personal helicoipters )!

mb

Quick Reply: Performance Meters