Sponsored by:

Winter problems to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2008, 09:57 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter problems to avoid?

My colleague at work mentioned that his Legacy sometimes has a problem in winter whereby the condensation that is often generated between the door windows and the rubber surround actually freezes the glass to the rubber. As this will be my first winter with an impreza, and what with it lurking just around the corner, I was wondering if others have encountered other various winter problems and what their best solutions are.
Old 21 October 2008, 12:16 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suggest a light smearing of vaseline on your door rubbers if it gets that cold.

Only other problem is wipers sticking to the screen with frost. Solution for that is a little wedge under the wiper arm to lift the blade just clear of the screen.

Another little tip is to not use the washers to clear the screen when you're nearly home. The salt that settles on your screen off the road can help keep the frost to a minimum on the screen after parking up.

Still, with all this global warming going on, you'd be inclined to think that freezing winters wouldn't be a worry..!!
Old 21 October 2008, 09:05 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

If we all decat our cars then as you say freezing will be a thing of the past until the Ice Age comes again. Oh wait, that's just government propaganda in order to raise taxes as car emissions are only a tiny percentage of world CO2 emissions... my mistake

I would try not to use your car if the weather gets that bad, but in the mild winter we had last year I had no issues at all.
Old 21 October 2008, 11:02 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

A bit of warm water will solve everything to do with frost. The myth of smashing the glass is truly a myth. I just pour a little warm water and it unsticks anything.
Old 22 October 2008, 12:09 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

I use one of my buckets for washing the car filled with warm water and a jug that does the whole car without having to go in and out 50 times to fill the kettle up

A turbo timer is also your friend as click it on and lock car with out havng to leave your keys in it and get it nicked
Old 22 October 2008, 06:10 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmileyScooby
A bit of warm water will solve everything to do with frost. The myth of smashing the glass is truly a myth. I just pour a little warm water and it unsticks anything.
+1

This advice was given to me by an ex REME chap. Reckoned they used it all the time in Norway. It must NOT be boiling though. He also told me to start the car up and put the blowers on the windscreen on full (even if they are blowing cold) before I pour.

I use a cleaned out old 2 litre milk container and hot tap water.
Old 22 October 2008, 08:09 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Yeah....not boiling...just warm/hot..