Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do Hillclimbs & Sprints ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2008, 02:05 PM
RAPID STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone do Hillclimbs & Sprints ?

Hi All

I have just applied for my National B liscence for use with the Hillclimbs & Sprints. I am complete Noob in this field and need some advice from the Veterans of this world.

I have found a local club I will be joining over the next few weeks in Chester called the Chester Motor Club, is anyone here a member?

I will be using my MY96 STi V3. This has adjustable suspension front and rear, forged bottom end,TDO5 18G, FMIC 850CC injectors, Apexi PFC mapped by Andy F running a very safe 1.4Bar @ approx 350bhp

So what I need to know is what do I need to do to for the car to comply, obviously roll cage, seats and the other basics, also after some general pointers about the sport. I have done many track days at Oulten park and been to the Nurburgring.

Any advice appreciated
Old 17 October 2008, 02:24 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

You should find most of the answers here

HSA - for information on hillclimbs and sprints in the UK
Old 17 October 2008, 02:29 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Etheridge-Bird is the user you want to speak to, dont know him personally but pretty certain i have seen his white classic scoob thrashing up Loton park

I would love to have a crack at it myself, it looks like great fun.
Old 17 October 2008, 08:17 PM
wrx_driver
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some links and info here from etheridge-bird

2008 Hillclimb and Sprint season - Calendar updated - Type-RA.co.uk - Forum for Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, WRX STi, Spec-C, S202, Type RA-R
Old 17 October 2008, 08:23 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have always wanted to get into this sport as it does look fun
Old 17 October 2008, 08:27 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I used to sprint and hillclimb: its quite a bit different now though. When your licence arrives youll also get a copy of the Blue Book: everything that you need will be in there (finding it though; thats something else). I believe that youll get a copy of the 2009 book now, but Im not certain.

Simon
Old 17 October 2008, 08:32 PM
RAPID STI
Scooby Regular

Do you think I will need to do much more to my car to get it a level where I can actually have a chance of getting some decent times?

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2008, 08:40 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I have always wanted to get into this sport as it does look fun
i have been seriously thinking about it as well but have come to the conclusion that at some point its (the car) going to get slightly bent or broken and to avoid spiraling costs getting a garage to fix my mishaps im not handy enough with a spanner to do the repairs myself
Old 17 October 2008, 08:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I know that this doesn't help you (as you have a modified car and you haven't even got the rules yet), but always read the rules before altering your car. You might find that the alterations that you have already made will move you into a class where you aren't competitive, whereas if you'd left it as it was, or done a lot less, then you might have been competitive in the class that you'd have been in.

Its not all about horsepower, in fact: extra horsepower is a long way down the list of things that you need. Id focus more on the minimum safety requirements that are compulsory now (extinguisher, cut-out, roll over protection etc.)
Old 17 October 2008, 08:43 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

You can hillclimb and sprint in a roadgoing class with mimimal mods to the car, you don't need a cage, different seats or 4 point belts. But if you're trying to be competitive it may be prudent.

Check out this thread. You'll find plenty of active hillclimbers on there.

I sprint a Caterham and just use the scoobie to tow it to meetings.
Old 17 October 2008, 08:46 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The AUDI in that thread is a case-in-point. There's a competitor who read the rules then set about building a car.....
Old 17 October 2008, 08:49 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

I have just done my first year of sprinting for the notts sports car club, it is alot of fun but alot of waiting around between runs, you only need a licence, race suit, helmet, and a beam breaker
Old 17 October 2008, 08:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

That depends on your class.
Old 17 October 2008, 09:06 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

I have ran in both mod prod and road class this year due to running 888's
Old 17 October 2008, 09:10 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

wheel nuts need to be NOT the lightweight variety, lots of little bits and bats.

Sprint Beginners Guide

Rough Guide to Hillclimbing & Sprinting

Last edited by JimmyBFC; 18 October 2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 17 October 2008, 09:21 PM
RAPID STI
Scooby Regular

Thanks for links and advice
Old 17 October 2008, 09:21 PM
RAPID STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
That depends on your class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8
The AUDI in that thread is a case-in-point. There's a competitor who read the rules then set about building a car.....

I did not mod my car in the first place with the intent of entering hillclimbs.

I have been looking for an area of motorsport to get into for a while ie autograss-rally cross ect.. with the intent of getting a car once a sport was chosen.

However I have spent over 13k on buying and improving my STi so to save buying a new car and doing the same again I have chosen a sport the will accomodate my car
Old 18 October 2008, 01:03 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Hillclimbs and Sprints

RAPID STI

I started competing in hill climbs and sprints in April 2003, and was very much "bitten by the bug".

Back then I used my daily driver (1998 UK Impreza Turbo), but I soon realised that a competition based/focused car was the way to go, with something a little more sensible to use for commuting/business etc.

Let me know of any questions or concerns you have, as I have (probably) asked them before.

Don't worry if the questions seem simple or obvious - we all had to start somwhere, and I could not have done as well as I have without much help from fellow drivers and competitors.

Also, these websites are great site for information, track guides and help.

Some excellent pictures as well which will give a guide to the tracks and the variety of cars/bikes used:

www.rhodopsin.co.uk/Other%20Sports/index.htm - this site is excellent as there quite a few Imprezas showing what they do (rather well)!
www.hdlcc.com/
The Midland Speed Championship
Shelsley Walsh Speed Hill Climb - The World's Oldest Speed Hillclimb

Check out the "Projects" forum on this site as I (Hillclimbing 2008) and Rob Harriman (Hillclimbing 2007) have put quite a lot of information about how we have done over the past 2 years.

Happy to give any advice I can

Richard
Old 18 October 2008, 02:03 PM
RAPID STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Etheridge-Bird
RAPID STI

I started competing in hill climbs and sprints in April 2003, and was very much "bitten by the bug".

Back then I used my daily driver (1998 UK Impreza Turbo), but I soon realised that a competition based/focused car was the way to go, with something a little more sensible to use for commuting/business etc.

Let me know of any questions or concerns you have, as I have (probably) asked them before.

Don't worry if the questions seem simple or obvious - we all had to start somwhere, and I could not have done as well as I have without much help from fellow drivers and competitors.

Also, these websites are great site for information, track guides and help.

Some excellent pictures as well which will give a guide to the tracks and the variety of cars/bikes used:

www.rhodopsin.co.uk/Other%20Sports/index.htm - this site is excellent as there quite a few Imprezas showing what they do (rather well)!
www.hdlcc.com/
The Midland Speed Championship
Shelsley Walsh Speed Hill Climb - The World's Oldest Speed Hillclimb

Check out the "Projects" forum on this site as I (Hillclimbing 2008) and Rob Harriman (Hillclimbing 2007) have put quite a lot of information about how we have done over the past 2 years.

Happy to give any advice I can

Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks for the links and advice, I am going to use the scoob soley as a compertion car and plan to be ready for the 2009 season. I will have a busy winter and am really looking forward to it.

I am sure when I attend the motor club they will advise me of any quiries I may have but if I can PM you for advise and stuff then that would be appreciated.

Did you do the prep work your self ?
Old 18 October 2008, 02:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive got a question for you Richard. Im interested in competing in speed events again, but I dont know which club to join. The venue that interests me most is Curborough: should I join Shenstone DCC or.....?

Simon
Old 18 October 2008, 06:34 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAPID STI
Hi Richard

Thanks for the links and advice, I am going to use the scoob soley as a compertion car and plan to be ready for the 2009 season. I will have a busy winter and am really looking forward to it.

I am sure when I attend the motor club they will advise me of any quiries I may have but if I can PM you for advise and stuff then that would be appreciated.

Did you do the prep work your self ?
Some of the very basic stuff I did myself, but when it came to brakes and geometry set-up, I went to a professional.

The thing is, an Impreza is so good "out of the box" it s a question of fettling what you already have.

As mentioned previously, big BHP is not the issue, a decent tyre/suspension/brake set up is worth 100bhp.

No point in having 500+ bhp if you can't launch the car off the line.

Most of my stuff has been learnt from experience and asking better drivers what they do.

I compete in "Road Going Class" so the Rules are very limited as to what one can do to the car, for example it runs with full interior (carpets, door cards etc), but you are permitted to change the driver's seat and fit harnesses.

There are some new rules for 2009, but I will not be fully in the picture until I receive my 2009 Non Race National B License and the MSA Blue Book (which details all the rules and regs).

The MOST important thing is to enjoy a great sport - safely, and if like me you start, it becoms very very infectious.

PS Please feel free to PM me, and I will do my best to answer!
Old 18 October 2008, 06:47 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GC8
Ive got a question for you Richard. Im interested in competing in speed events again, but I dont know which club to join. The venue that interests me most is Curborough: should I join Shenstone DCC or.....?

Simon
Simon

Shenstone DCC is a very well respected club, but I am not sure for how much longer venues like Curborough will be around. I know earlier this year a planning application for a new town to be built near to Curborough/Fradley, would have meant the loss of Curborough. The plans have been rejected, but a new "noise" issue has been raised by local residents

I joined Halgey & District Light Car Club, and we receive invitations from other car clubs to visit their events (e.g. I did a single lap at Curbourgh this summer with the Nottingham Car Club - a great day).

I think you should join a local car club to where you live, and more importantly join one of the championships

When you enter for places like Shelsley Walsh*, they are frequently oversubsribed, and even though you maybe a member of Midland Automobile Club* you may not get an entry. However, I quickly caught on that if I am participating in a championship (e.g. HSA) I am more likely to be granted an entry.

On the entry forms for the events, you will be asked if you are competing in X or Y championships (if that makes sense).

In 6 years of competing I have not had an entry refused or declined.

To join the HSA or Midland Speed Championship is a small cost (if I remember correctly) about £20 per annum for each.

These championships run events at most venues in the UK (Prescott, Shelsley, Loton Park, Curborough, Anglesey, Gurston Down, Cadwell etc etc etc) - so there is nearly always somewhere not too far from home and you get a choice to drive at some fantastic venues.

Richard
Old 18 October 2008, 06:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I appreciate that Richard, thank you. Im disappointed to hear that Curborough is on its back foot: some of my earliest car-related memories are of Curborough and the Aston Martin owners club sprints there. Id always though that the motor club owned the freehold there, giving them some security? Without grandfather rights the noise issue alone could kill them off though.

If they think its loud now, then they should have been there in the early 70s!
Old 18 October 2008, 08:28 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Does Rob Waklin post on here his scooby always does exceptionally well, and sounds out of this world on launch
Old 18 October 2008, 09:18 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
Does Rob Waklin post on here his scooby always does exceptionally well, and sounds out of this world on launch
Yes he does, he knows a thing or two about sprints after winning the overall notts title this year
Old 18 October 2008, 10:09 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobytyson
Yes he does, he knows a thing or two about sprints after winning the overall notts title this year
You doing a few more next year Rob? You did well for a first season

Any plans with car?

Im having a twin clutch put in and new ECU, possibly a Hydra like yours, switchable maps sounds appealing.
Old 18 October 2008, 11:10 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

Default Jim

I will be doing more of the NSCC sprints next year, i might be going for a new forged bottom end for next season , ive had the hydra on for 18 months now with no trouble at all and ran both nos and race fuel on switchable maps
Old 20 December 2008, 07:57 PM
wrxbart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
Only just seen this thread,Yes i do post on here but not that often really.Thanks for the coment,had a great year this year hope next year is just as good if not better
Old 21 December 2008, 03:34 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxbart
Only just seen this thread,Yes i do post on here but not that often really.Thanks for the coment,had a great year this year hope next year is just as good if not better

Went to quite a few last year Rob, know kenny in his 5rs off the MLR so go to watch now and then, you've got a well sorted car there and a good driver to boot aswell

What is it weighing in at Rob and whats it running? Is it 500hp ish?