Sponsored by:

Baby car seat in classic

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2008, 02:11 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Baby car seat in classic

I went to pick the little one up from hospital today, one day old, but the car seat I have, rear facing, seemed like it wouldn't fit. It seems the rear seatbelts are not long enough. It went in the back of 306 fine.

Anyone else had this issue?

Its a MY00.

Also, If I wanted to put him in the front when he is older. How can I disable the airbag? I've heard people pull the fuse. But in the fuse box, its got a noticably different holder, as if it shouldn't come out. Can I pull it out with the battery connected?
Old 16 October 2008, 07:02 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly mate congrats on the little one. Watch the time fly by mate and remember to take as many photos as possible (we take one every month on the date of birth etc).

As for the car seat. To be honest mate the Subaru belts are pretty short in all. I have a classic (sport) and a newage (bug) STi and the rear facing seats I had trouble with in both.

Depending upon what seat you have gone for pull the belt as much out as you can and when there is no more to come out use a clothes peg or something and put it on the belt stopping it from retracting. It will still be a tight fit but give you that little it more to move around mate. Once the belt has gone round the correct places on the seat itself then take the peg or whatever your use off and pull it hard mate.

I found the seatbelt in the bugeye harder to get around the same seat for some reason.

Also, word of advice. Put a tea towl or alike down on the seat as weigt of the little one and vibrations eat at the seat surface.

In terms of the front seat. I've been tempted to get someone like JGM to switch mine off as I would love to have my son in the front with me now he's 18months and loves cars to bits. I used mu sisters LCR for a couple of weeks and switched off the airbag in her car so he could come in the front. End result he loved it!! I wouldn't put my little one in the front until the air bag is switched off and if is classed as illegal or not I don't know?

Enjoy the time with the little one mate and make the misses feel light gold.

Nice one.

Steve
Old 16 October 2008, 10:01 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Appreciate the advice mate.

The car seat we have is part of a Mama's and Papa's travel system.
For some car seats, there is a fixed base that stays in they car, and the seat slicks onto thats. I'm wondering if that would help?

Thanks very much.
Old 16 October 2008, 02:24 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

We had the same thing mate, when we bought our Mamas and Papas pram with car seat and all that, the woman at the shop tried fitting it but the seat belt wouldn't reach round but with the stand part, it gives you a little more room on the belt and it went in.

However, when I got home, I tried it and managed to manipulate it into position without too much trouble (mines a MY98 by the way). Tilt the seat up to put the belt in and then push it back and wedge it down. Seems to work fine.

Failing that mate, you should have no probs with the stand in there.
Old 16 October 2008, 02:47 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

We had the mamas and papas system, worked fine with my MY95. Still got it and we don't need it anymore.

If you want a spare base let me know, congrats on the little one