Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a fixed penalty notice today...

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2008, 08:32 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got a fixed penalty notice today...

For failing to display a front number plate. Number plate had fallen off so I stuck it in the windscreen. Cop pulled me over and didn't wanna hear my side of it and said I should screw it on. I told him I don't carry screws with me and that I would make it secure when I got home, as that's where I was headed. He said tough, and handed me the fixed penalty of £30.

Is it worth fighting or should I just pay it and forget about it?

Cheers.
Old 14 October 2008, 08:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Theres nothing that you can do. You werent displaying your registration plate so youre guilty. In a circumstance such as that you hope that the PO concerned will be reasonable: where they arent youre stuffed.
Old 14 October 2008, 09:03 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Did you get points as well or just a fine??
Old 14 October 2008, 09:07 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Be greatful you weren't pulled in Wakefield, you would have gotten a beating for good measure.
Old 14 October 2008, 09:08 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he was being a little unreasonable but hey thats coppers for you. Think its a case of biting the bullet and paying. After all it would cost a lot more than £30 to fight it, unless you are a lawyer
Old 14 October 2008, 09:12 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have just said, or is that all it is £30. That will have put the ball back in his court.
Old 14 October 2008, 09:15 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

A lawyer will want to know whether you were properly displaying your front number plate.

If you were not, it doesn't take a genius to work out what the next piece of advice would be...

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2008, 09:20 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Yeah, think I'll just pay it and forget about it. Only got a £30 fine, no points.
Old 14 October 2008, 09:39 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

I'd go into the police station and say you want to make a complaint against them.
Old 14 October 2008, 09:59 PM
jdmforest
Scooby Regular

bit harsh,must have bin taking his bad day out on you...
should have told him the only thing you were gonna "screw" was his missus's rusty sherrifs badge on the way home

obviously a sad man who's only way to get kicks is giving pathetic tickets to law abiding hardworking citizens who pay his wages,when he should be out arresting smacked up scum -who incidently we also pay for..........
id just pay it,he may have robbed you of an honest hard earned 30 quid,but at least,unlike him, you can sleep with a clear concience at night knowing that it is just that.....
HONEST
Old 14 October 2008, 10:08 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmy2take
I'd go into the police station and say you want to make a complaint against them.
What's the point in that??... What are you going to complain about??

The number plate wasn't displayed properly and that carries a £30 fine. End of story.

From the coppers point of veiw, who's to say that it hasn't been like it for days or weeks, either way, even if it had happened 5mins before hand, he is quite within his rites to issue the ticket as it is illegal to drive a car without number plates clearly displayed in the correct position, complaining about it will get you absolutely nowhere.

Your lucky really... It's one of the few motoring offences left that cannot attract points on your licence & at £30 is the cheapest!!

Makes you wonder why more people don't move their plates to avoid speed cameras

Phil
Old 14 October 2008, 10:20 PM
jdmforest
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport
What's the point in that??... What are you going to complain about??

The number plate wasn't displayed properly and that carries a £30 fine. End of story.

From the coppers point of veiw, who's to say that it hasn't been like it for days or weeks, either way, even if it had happened 5mins before hand, he is quite within his rites to issue the ticket as it is illegal to drive a car without number plates clearly displayed in the correct position, complaining about it will get you absolutely nowhere.

Your lucky really... It's one of the few motoring offences left that cannot attract points on your licence & at £30 is the cheapest!!

Makes you wonder why more people don't move their plates to avoid speed cameras

Phil
why would they bother? when the rear plate gets flashed on most cameras as well? how do you think motorbikes get flashed?

so wat if his plate had just fallen off 5 mins earlier? was he supposed to pull over and call the AA ?
like it said above he might as well pay it,but i think hes entitled to be a bit disgruntled about it
Old 14 October 2008, 10:39 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jdmforest
why would they bother? when the rear plate gets flashed on most cameras as well? how do you think motorbikes get flashed?

so wat if his plate had just fallen off 5 mins earlier? was he supposed to pull over and call the AA ?
like it said above he might as well pay it,but i think hes entitled to be a bit disgruntled about it

Sorry, I wasn't aware that rear plates were not removable on cars these days & that cars were not supplied with rear parcel shelves to put things on

Don't get me wrong, I too would be a bit pi55ed of it really HAD fallen off on my way home, but lets face it, how many people would be lucky enough to notice a number plate fall of whilst driving, go back to pick it up, put it in the windscreen & then unlucky enough to then get a ticket on the remainder of the journey home?

If I was the copper I would certainly find it a bit of a tall story to believe.. One of many (I suspect) that he will hear through out his working week.

Last edited by PeeVee; 14 October 2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 14 October 2008, 10:45 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Yes, very very unlucky if that is the way it happened. The copper was in the right but it is very harsh on you.

As has been mentioned, if you look at it from his point of view he could never prove or disprove your story so where would it end? Everyone driving around without plates basically.
Old 15 October 2008, 12:14 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

That will teach you to drive around showing how clean your body work is under were your number plat should be hay

Pay it and forget about it Macher

Ash
Old 15 October 2008, 12:24 AM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

ita a 30quid fine if the copper can be bothered. 3 times and you looseyour plate and then you go on a q plate . advice is dont go to north wales the baskets will pull you for anything, or just get your plate sorted

jim
Old 15 October 2008, 12:31 AM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Going 4 400bhp
That will teach you to drive around showing how clean your body work is under were your number plat should be hay

Pay it and forget about it Macher

Ash
LOL. Maybe I shouldn't have to display a plate because I keep the cars so clean?

You wanna pay it for me?
Old 15 October 2008, 12:37 AM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

Better still, why don't we just get rid of the Police Service and leave everybody to the mercy (or lack of it) of the mob. You can then drive your untaxed, unlicensed, un-roadworthy heap of rust to your heart's content, kill as many people as you like at excessive speed and then complain that your loved one has been mugged/robbed/raped/violated while you were out enjoying yourself and there is nobody left who is prepared to do anything about it.

The simple rule is - you break the law, you pay the fine.
Old 15 October 2008, 12:49 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Take it on the chin buddy pay the £30 fine thats naff all anyways as if you make a fuss they will find other reasons when out and about to target you.

This happened to a good friend of mine who got a £30 fine for number plates and the next thing you know when he was seen out in his car they pulled him over and found other stuff to get him on inc made up stuff.
Old 15 October 2008, 04:20 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jdmforest

A friend of mine got pulled for similar thing. Got a £30 ticket, then when he drove off he got stopped again down the road by the same PC for guess what??
Old 15 October 2008, 09:31 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GavinE
A friend of mine got pulled for similar thing. Got a £30 ticket, then when he drove off he got stopped again down the road by the same PC for guess what??
Seatbelt or spot lights ?
Old 15 October 2008, 09:45 AM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

It's a Scooby thing. The rozzers see a Scooby and fink "Orl right then, I'm bound to be able find somefink on this guy" I got pulled over the other day for no real reason - the porky was in a Focus Estate so I guess his b@lls felt a bit shrivelled so he needed to make himself feel tough. When he saw me and the missus he did a visible second take and said "uh, these wet roads are treacherous so please drive carefully" Holy Cow ! It was all I could do to prevent myself listing all the wonderful reasons why Scoobies were bloddy invented for British weather! I think these guys are carefully selected for their stupidity, no wonder the crooks are laughing:- they better motivated, better equipped and better paid. Scoobies are cop magnets and that's just the way it is. Have your windows legally tinted - it freaks them out.
Old 15 October 2008, 09:59 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

I got pulled over about 3 weeks ago for no front number plate. He gave me a producer, but I thought he was being over the top getting me to take it to an MOT station to get stamp to say the plates were back on there.

I was also pissed off having to do the producer as I know he checked all my details out as he ****ing kept me sitting on the m25 for a good 20mins.
Old 15 October 2008, 10:03 AM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

This is a Police State, baby !! They are Public Masters, not Public Servants.
Old 15 October 2008, 10:11 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmy2take
I got pulled over about 3 weeks ago for no front number plate. He gave me a producer, but I thought he was being over the top getting me to take it to an MOT station to get stamp to say the plates were back on there.

I was also pissed off having to do the producer as I know he checked all my details out as he ****ing kept me sitting on the m25 for a good 20mins.

That sounds to me like you were issued with a VDRS slip rather than just a HO/RT/1
Old 15 October 2008, 10:27 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

I might be really thick- but how does a number plate fall off?

just in 20 years of driving, dozens of cars- it doesn't happen.

i.e front of my scooby has captive nuts- through which the plate is bolted.

unless I smash the front of the car- it ain't coming off.

and how does it fall off, whilst driving and you actually can tell- retrieve it undamaged and move it to yr windscreen ?

stop moaning and pay up
Old 15 October 2008, 11:14 AM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

It's a Scooby thing. The rozzers see a Scooby and fink "Orl right then, I'm bound to be able find somefink on this guy"

And if you believe what you read on here, the Police are probably right with their thinking, for example:
Tints too dark
Fog lights on
Exhaust too loud
Excessive and inapproriate accelleration
Number Plates not in accordance with the law

The simple answers (and I'll keep them very simple for those who cannot understand anything more complicated than SIMPLE) are dont break the law, and drive a car that's legal.
Old 15 October 2008, 12:29 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Well lucky you!

Mine fell off (as it was "stuck" on as a lot are now days). I drove back around the streets looking for it found it and screwed it on!

The copper was being an **** imho but they do hear a lot of stories why he couldn't get you to do the same as timmy2take I don't know!
Old 15 October 2008, 02:55 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Maybe all police cars should be equipped with a drill and an assortment of bolts and screws.

Note the point about being unlucky if numberplate fell off, but what about headlights. I have one blow about once a year. Always on a journey, never when I start up at home. Surely it should be a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs if you must stop to change it immediately.

What are you supposed to do if it blows while on the motorway?
Old 15 October 2008, 03:21 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport
Sorry, I wasn't aware that rear plates were not removable on cars these days & that cars were not supplied with rear parcel shelves to put things on

Don't get me wrong, I too would be a bit pi55ed of it really HAD fallen off on my way home, but lets face it, how many people would be lucky enough to notice a number plate fall of whilst driving, go back to pick it up, put it in the windscreen & then unlucky enough to then get a ticket on the remainder of the journey home?

If I was the copper I would certainly find it a bit of a tall story to believe.. One of many (I suspect) that he will hear through out his working week.

Actually me for one Not long after buying the car the front plate came off, it made quite a bang when I drove over it, pulled over and as it was safe I went back and put it in the front window for the drive home. My front plate is stuck on no screws (hasnt fallen off since by the way). so these things can and do happen. Why do people always insinuate a poster is lying on Scoobynet?
If I had got stopped that day I would have excepted the fine, it would have peed me off but it is the law after all, unlucky mate.

Quick Reply: Got a fixed penalty notice today...