Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Many Drivers Are Asleep" Shock! Mostly in Scotland.

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2001, 12:01 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I don't know how someone can fall asleep at the wheel, how many miles must they be doing that they are so tired it over-rides the level of concentration required to drive? I did 850 miles on Saturday, at no point while I was in the car was I anything like tired, if I had been I would have stopped somewhere and got some sleep.
I always pay for doing things like that later on in the week, where I sleep insane amounts of time, and my eyes are blood shot for a few days.
The only way I could see someone falling asleep while driving was if they paid so little attention to their driving that they would not notice when what little concentration they had was draining away. In which case they should not be driving in the first place

[edited to add I am from North of the border]

[This message has been edited by Robertio (edited 24 January 2001).]
Old 24 January 2001, 12:34 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Try doing the same long montonous motorway route on a regular basis and you'll find out.

The brain does not like lack of stimulation and will shut down.

This report is another joke statistic designed to divert public attention from important things. See also "Bread and Circuses".
Old 24 January 2001, 10:53 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

So many drivers on the roads are nearly asleep? Why am I not surprised?
Old 24 January 2001, 10:59 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

I think that the figures are at best inacurate as it relies on people admitting that they have fallen asleep at the wheel.

I think if I *had* fallen asleep at the wheel (which I have not), then I wouldn't admit to it!!!!

Matt.
Old 24 January 2001, 11:23 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

So the real figures are probably even higher...
Old 24 January 2001, 01:19 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Robertio,

Try working shifts, the first 12 hour night shift is almost guaranteed to make you drowsy behind the wheel. I used to work shifts with a 65 mile each way commute, and would regularly have to stick my head out of the window, pull into services or just pull off the motorway, in order to keep awake.

Haven't recent studies shown that a quarter of motorway deaths are caused by people falling asleep. If this is the case why do the politicians and Police NOT target these people - I wonder if it's because there's no revenue in it ?

Chris.
Old 24 January 2001, 01:31 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

My point (probably badly made, as per normal (so I will probably make a hash of it again )) is that if you know you are going to be making the journey, then you take that into account in advance, I left at 3:30am, so I went to my bed at 9pm. If you are working nights, and feeling tired when you leave then grab some sleep before you go anywhere, it is not as if you can be wide awake one minute, then asleep the next.
As for long motorway journeys making you drowsy, whose choice is it to use the motorway, grab a map, pick out some a and b roads and follow them, if it is honestly the motorway that is making you sleepy then this will solve the problem. If not then it is not the motorway that is the problem.

Trending Topics

Old 24 January 2001, 01:40 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Robertio in a perfect world mate, you'd be correct. People will always take chance chances and shortcuts.

The closest I've come was a few years back when doing the Three Peaks Challenge (climb the highest peaks in England, Scotland and Wales in 24 hours (did it in 18 hours in case you're interested )). Coming into North Wales at about 1 in the morning - seriously tired - starting to drift off and hit the rumble strips on the side of the road. They certainly work! It is an extreme example, but I can see how it would happen if you do a lot of monotonous motorway drives.

Chris
Old 24 January 2001, 03:04 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Robertio,

The thing with falling asleep at the wheel is that it CAN creep up on you suddenly and CAN go un-noticed until it is TOO LATE - and with regard to tiredness overriding the level of concentration required to drive, who the hell concentrates on the motorway, judging by the standard of driving I see most people are permanently asleep !!

I know of at least 2 people who have fallen asleep - 1 bloke I used to work with woke up and found himself careering up the motorway embankment; another bloke who was an ex traffic cop in the London Met fell asleep and was killed when the car hit a wall.

It can happen and you have to do something as soon as you begin to feel weary.

Chris.
Old 24 January 2001, 03:21 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Shift work is a big bad thing.

I used to work in Luton, Living in South London, my shift used to finish at 01:00am, once I was thundering down the M1, remember being in the outside lane & next thing crossing the inside, happens v. v. quick.

That said, last summer I drove from Malaga in Spain to Calais France only stopping for gazoil as they call it & food without falling asleep, but upon reaching Calais I went to sleep on the ferry to Dover and felt like dogdirt for the journey from Dover home.