Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to spot the scam (is there one)?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2008, 01:55 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to spot the scam (is there one)?

My car is for sale. A very kind gentleman has offered to buy it at the purchase price just from the Add ie not seen the car in the flesh + has no plans to see it. This chap resides in Glasgow so can't get down ... no time.

He's offered to pay a £250 deposit (not yet sure how although I've suggested Paypal) & then the remainder before he picks up the car. He's organising a transporter (!) as we speak.

I've released none of my details as yet (reg nr or address) & he's not revealed his name or address other than Glasgow.

Should I be worried The chap maintains that he / others know me from the "Type RA" websites ...

Apologies to the chap in question of course if he reads this & is genuine.

What do you think?

TX.
Old 07 October 2008, 01:58 PM
MissyV
Scooby Regular

A different way of doing things... but if he pays the deposit and it reaches your bank...it could prove to be genuine...nothing screams out scam but it does seem a bit well "different" like I said!
Old 07 October 2008, 01:59 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get a deposit via paypal it should reveal an address ? not that that can't be fudged.
Old 07 October 2008, 02:52 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

not sure its 50/50 but if the money is in your account then let it go other than that the car would not be leaving my house. just be carfull he is the buyer he plays by your rules...checks can still bounce i have been advised that a chaps payment is safe but not sure...speak to your bank ask them the question on whats safe with regards to once it is in your account it cant be taken back.
Old 07 October 2008, 02:58 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'm always very wary of people who buy cars without seeing them.

Its happened to me a couple of times and has always been fine, but its not something I would consider a 'sensible' person would do if that makes sense?
Old 07 October 2008, 03:05 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

I believe that cheques can appear to have cleared and then the funds are withdrawn later so I'd be wary of that.

The CHAPs transfer is faster and more secure but does cost to make the transfer. If he's offering full asking offering to split the transfer cost (it's not that much IIRC) might be worth it for peace of mind
Old 07 October 2008, 04:21 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

I would feel very uncomfortable giving somebody my bank details and my address. That’s the sort of things they advise you to shred before throwing it away.

I had a guy trying to buy a car from me and wanted my details to pay in full for the car without even seeing it, said I wasn’t happy about taking any money until he’d seen it and that was the last I heard from him. Could be that it was something else that made him walk away but it made me think there was something else involved .
Old 07 October 2008, 04:43 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

get the money (check would work as apart from your name and address he'd have no other details) or paypal (cleared!!) agree that it's a deposit for the full asking price and agree the time scale in which he has to pay the rest.

Perfectly resonably and will show if he's genuine.

There are plenty of people who buy unseen. ...not me mind but there you go!
Old 07 October 2008, 06:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

He can't pay via Paypal ... so wants to send a cheque for the £250!

TX.
Old 07 October 2008, 06:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Ask him to send the £250 cash via special delivery. You will get it the next day and he will be insured for £500 so he is well covered
Old 07 October 2008, 07:12 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

just curious what is the protection limit on a cheque without guarentee card isn't it 50 or 100 depending on the bank?

At least it is going the right way, you could phone the bank on the cheque and ask a few non intrusive questions explaining why you want to know they should be able to at least confirm this is a genuine cheque etc.
Old 07 October 2008, 07:22 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

After 6 working days of paying in the cheque the money is yours - the payment cannot be reversed even if the cheque turns out to be fraudulent. This is known as the 2-4-6 rule (see details here: Cheque and Credit Clearing Company - 2-4-6 changes )

I have sold three cars in a row without the purchaser inspecting the car - just on the basis of pictures. I wouldn't buy a car that way myself, but a lot of people do.
So long as the money is cleared into your account then you should be OK.
Old 07 October 2008, 07:35 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Terminator X
He can't pay via Paypal ... so wants to send a cheque for the £250!

TX.
Get it sent to your work, get it cleared, go from there
Old 07 October 2008, 07:44 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

I would be very warey. I had a car for sale last year and the exact same thing happened to me. I recieved a few emails from different people asking to purchase the car without seeing it or even wanting to see it. They would have a transporter available or I had to deliver the car to a shipper. It seemed a bit sus to me so I phoned Autotrader (where the car was advertised) and they advised me to steer well clear.

The buyer would send me a deposit then a cheque for the full amount plus extra to cover the cost of the shipping. Autotrader told me it was a scam and they were aware of it and said, and I can't remember exactly, that somehow once the cheque was paid into your bank the "buyer" then cancelled or withdrew the funds leaving you owing the bank a huge sum of money. I reported all the email addresses and contact numbers I had been sent and heard no more. Needless to say I didn't go through with the deal.

My advice to you, run a mile!
Old 07 October 2008, 07:48 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

ALL money to be put into your bank or if the guy picking it up with the transporter gives you it in cash!

I have done the same thing in the past when buying a car and sent a transporter and the guy with cash or put it into the persons account!

Ask him for all his details as you will need it for the logbook and tell him you will only do cash into your bank no paypal or anything else as paypal can always **** you over!

Cheers!
cossie-nutter
Old 07 October 2008, 08:16 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Default Perhaps I'm too cynical ...

Thanks for replies.

This is my dilema:

1. He's a genuine buyer, loves the look of the car (it is awesome!) & really wants it. He's also honest Joe so is quite happy to do business as above. I want to sell so all is good.

2. He's out to rip me off by (a) getting my Reg Nr & cloning the car etc (b) getting my address & sending some heavies around to steal it (c) getting my bank details & doing something dodgy that way.

I'm reluctant to reveal any personal details as he is just a stranger. He has a Hotmail email address so could be based in Nigeria rather than Glasgow! No personal details though = no sale

I like 53WRXs reply & will consider getting the £250 sent to work

TX.
Old 07 October 2008, 08:21 PM
Scooby Senior

If it all goes well I would get him to pick it up from work too.

More cameras and people to assist Plus you can use the work safe for cash or go straight to the bank. It's not unheard of to get broken into mysteriously for the cash if they turn up late in the day and the banks are closed
Old 08 October 2008, 11:21 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Update - I've got his name & address now. Is there any way to check that he/it exists online? Plan is to send a SAE with my details ie he won't get them if address is false.

TX.
Old 08 October 2008, 11:32 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak to some of the glasgow members over on sidc. I am sure there are plenty of people who would be more than willing to help you out.
Old 08 October 2008, 11:33 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Arrange to meet, get him to give you cash for the full amount. Walk him to the bank and get him to pay the cash over the counter into your account.
Once the bank takes the cash and puts it in the till, its safe in your account (even if they then spot some fakes, its too late, its in the till and mixed with all the other takings, no proof it was in your batch)

When I sold the EVO, I got 15k cash for it, but would not let him have the keys until it was safely paid in.
Old 08 October 2008, 02:15 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Update - I've got his name & address now. Is there any way to check that he/it exists online? Plan is to send a SAE with my details ie he won't get them if address is false.

TX.

I think your going a bit over the top now ??? Your only selling a car. Next thing you be scared in case he is going to murder you in your sleep !
Old 08 October 2008, 03:26 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
lol
if it was me i'd rather sell the car to somebody else. as said in this thread, funds can be reversed or cancelled leaving you effed.
best stay to selling it to a genuine guy who comes to actually test drive your car

wiley
Old 08 October 2008, 03:55 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

You can always ring your bank and have protection put on it if anyone try's to take anything and they have to ring you 1st to make sure it's ok, I have this with my nationwide account!

That way your bank details will be useless unless anyone puts money in!

There is nothing stopping you from calling your bank for good strong advice matey. and they may even be able to help in other ways.
Old 08 October 2008, 04:22 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

TX.
Yes 192.com and go from there it will usually give you telephone numbers etc how long they been there, who else lives there, etc. Best to also ring neighbours and ask them questions (usually on 192.com). I have heard of this trailer scam. Remember always have this form of transaction done via some third party e.g. send it to a work address, etc then let money clear (telling him it's none refundable) and also state you aware of the trailer scam and so will not want cash on collection but cheque for the full amount. Any reasonable buyer wouldn't care....
Old 08 October 2008, 04:24 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

pm me his name and address mate, i am back up home on Fri, if its close i will pop round and make sure it exists, if its not i will let you know, i now live in the motherwell/Hamilton area not Edinburgh as the location says.

Mac
Old 08 October 2008, 07:54 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Well if he does, at least you heard about it first here

TX.

Originally Posted by stevebt
Next thing you be scared in case he is going to murder you in your sleep !
Old 08 October 2008, 09:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Bankers draft ?

Don't take a cheque, even I've got some of them !

LOL

DunxC
Old 08 October 2008, 09:23 PM
w88chy
Scooby Regular

PM me the address - I am from Glasgow I can give you an idea of the area, or anything else that may help.