Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opportunity car crime - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2002, 07:35 PM
Hugh138
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking back to the car pack this evening from work, I heard a smash of glass and look over the wall to see someone breaking the rear window of an MPV. ****, I thought, what do I do? I was with a femlae work colleague and decided I had 2 choices - go shout at the guy or call the police. I decided that approaching him wasn't particularly safe, and by the time I had my phone out he was already walking away from the car. It didn't look like he stole anything. I didn't make the call to the police, coz I thought what were they going to do? How would even catching the guy (with no evidence) help the owner of the car? I've got a description, but it could fit any number of people - it just struck me that he was scoping out the car park, saw something he liked the look of and smashed the window.

What should one do in this situation? I'm obviously concerned about parking in this car park, have been for a bit, but I think the only theft will be mobile phone/change/briefcase if the theif sees something, rather than the car being nicked. Suppose key thing to learn is never leave anything visible to passing eyes in case they take greater interest.

Hugh
Old 11 February 2002, 07:37 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I think you did the right thing.

People have been killed trying to stop someone stealing stuff from cars. Just make sure you get a good look at him/her and write a description down as soon as you can.