Sponsored by:

no insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2008, 08:29 AM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no insurance

hi i got pulled and my car was showing no insurance this has happened 2 times now. even tho i had my policy in the car and my insurance company has just taken the money out my bank for it. but my question is what would of happened if they had taken my car off me as the copper was being a *** saying they was having the car leaving me in the middle of no where with no way of getting back. could i claim off them or the insurance if they did.
adam
Old 07 October 2008, 08:31 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm. Sounds like on for Moley. Are you with Keith Michaels by any chance?

5t.
Old 07 October 2008, 09:11 AM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Hmmmm. Sounds like on for Moley. Are you with Keith Michaels by any chance?

5t.

?????????????????

ive just phoned my insurance and they said that they have updated there system and if i carry the policy in the car i sould be ok. but on the night i got pulled the copper said if its not on my system so we are taking the car and i could of defaulted on a payment so my policy means jack.
could he have really taken it off me anyone no or was he talking ****.
iam worried now i could have the car taken off me if i get stoped again. the insurance said they have done there job so its not there fault.
adam
Old 07 October 2008, 10:30 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oadamo
?????????????????
Have a look in the insurance section. You'll soon spot all the Moley threads and work it out. Local insurance guidebook!

Does sound like and oversight though. Perhaps not all insurance companies are linked up yet?

5t.
Old 07 October 2008, 10:43 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

I'd very much doubt if you had a copy of your policy that they could take the car off you. Otherwise every single foreign car would also be up for grabs surely as they'll not be linked to our database.

Sound like he was trying to put the frightners on imho!
Old 07 October 2008, 10:46 AM
STim-r
Scooby Regular

Usually you get so many days to produce your docs at a police station that sutis you if you dont have them on you there and then.
Old 07 October 2008, 10:47 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If you have the companys details, I would imagine the Police would carry out more checks first i.e making phone call to the insurance company...before snatching a car.
Old 07 October 2008, 10:58 AM
BlooSooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PantsUK
I'd very much doubt if you had a copy of your policy that they could take the car off you. Otherwise every single foreign car would also be up for grabs surely as they'll not be linked to our database.

Exactly......before I emigrated to Oz there was a bloke down the road from me in Plymouth who used to drive around in French/Dutch cars all the time. He used to get a ferry/cheap flight over to Europe, pick up a cheap car and drive it back. If the rozzers stop him he pretends to be French/Dutch (he obviously speaks French/Dutch) The coppers let him go, no reprimand (too hard to process a foreigner for a minor traffic offence if they're only visiting for a few days)

I used to see the same foreign car parked outside his house for months on end, it was used daily and never had any road tax on it!!!!

End result? He drives a car around, no tax, no insurance, no ability to trace him and every chance the cops will let him off a minor traffic offence. How the hell is that right????

Last edited by BlooSooby; 07 October 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07 October 2008, 11:01 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd assume they haven't registered your reg correctly on the insurance database, hence the Police can't get your details.

Speak to your insurance company and ask them to re-transmit your reg so you don't get the problem again.

You can check if it is registered properly on www.askmid.com

Old 07 October 2008, 12:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsUK

Sound like he was trying to put the frightners on imho!
See........why do some police officers act like this? The big "I am"? It's just bullying by any other name

Then in the next breath they'll be wondering why a lot of Joe Public hates them and have stopped supporting them

Alcazar
Old 07 October 2008, 12:33 PM
scoobaru86
Scooby Regular

They normally give you 7 days to produce your documents anyway sounds like you just got a big I am god policeman
Old 07 October 2008, 12:42 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

PNC is linked directly to the Insurance data base so when a check is done on a VRM it will tell the officer if Insurance is held on that vehicle.

There are many motorists out there that will take out a Policy, get the certificate and then cancel the Policy. So showing a certificate at the roadside means jack!

However checks can be made over the phone at the time of the stop to the MIB who will confirm whether a Policy is in place. It sounds to me like you were lucky to keep your car so rather than slate the Police for doing there job try having a word with your Insurer.

Last edited by Mal K; 07 October 2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07 October 2008, 03:15 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I'd assume they haven't registered your reg correctly on the insurance database, hence the Police can't get your details.

Speak to your insurance company and ask them to re-transmit your reg so you don't get the problem again.

You can check if it is registered properly on www.askmid.com

ive just found out from this link that my reg was wrong and i wasnt on the database my insurance had m399vnn instead of m339vnn so now iam on the database. so t
he copper was right then i didnt have insurance (or did i )
thanks for your help guys.
adam
Old 07 October 2008, 03:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

They should only take the car where the driver confirms that there is no cover in place, or where they can establish this for themselves (ie by speaking to the insurer who the driver states with certainty is covering the vehicle and being told that no cover is in place).
Old 07 October 2008, 03:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

ive just found out from this link that my reg was wrong and i wasnt on the database my insurance had m399vnn instead of m339vnn so now iam on the database. so t
adam
You did have cover.
Old 07 October 2008, 03:28 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

adam

Ah! sticky wicket here. I got pulled on my dad's bike (named rider) and the bike wasn't in the database. The insurance company had the wrong details down. They said we weren't insured but thanks to "all calls are recorded for training purposes" we told them to go back and check the tape.

They had to admit they had made the error and we had given them the right details. Lucky though, £200 6points and a no insurance strike otherwise!

5t.
Old 07 October 2008, 03:29 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

you can check if the vehicle is on the database yourself

www.askmid.com

Old 07 October 2008, 03:30 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
They should only take the car where the driver confirms that there is no cover in place, or where they can establish this for themselves (ie by speaking to the insurer who the driver states with certainty is covering the vehicle and being told that no cover is in place).
hi when i got pulled it was about 11 at night so my insurance place was closed. glad its sorted now tho thanks
adam