Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should text speak be banned on SN?
Yes- It causes problems / really annoys me
74.18%
No - Its not my cup of tea, but it would be unfair to actually ban it
25.82%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Should text speak be Banned on ScoobyNet?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2008, 05:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should text speak be Banned on ScoobyNet?

As per request by webby, lets have a vote on whether text speak i.e. "txt spk" should be banned on SN.

Just to clarify, by text speak, I refer to things like:

"dis is gud innit"

NOT abbreviations such as 'lol', 'AFAIK'.

IYSWIM

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 06 October 2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06 October 2008, 05:56 PM
M535I
Scooby Regular

Is it really that much of an issue you want to try and ban it ? don't you think it's a little controlling and petty ? maybe sn should focus more on people being ripped off by other member and things like that . If you don't like how somone types don't reply ! .

thats a no vote from me .
Old 06 October 2008, 05:58 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely he's joking
Old 06 October 2008, 06:05 PM
dave247
Scooby Regular

how u guna en4c it
Old 06 October 2008, 06:06 PM
New_scooby_04

No Joke. This is a serious poll, prompted by a post in policy.

My opinion is that is should be....more later by way of explanation.

Ns04
Old 06 October 2008, 06:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by dave247
how u guna en4c it
Use of text speak would be infraction worthy, presumably.

Ns04
Old 06 October 2008, 06:08 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Guys

This is a chance to express your opinion.

If you think its petty and controlling, simply select the appropriate option on the poll

If, however, you think it should be banned, the option is there too.

I have my opinion on it, but I've always maintained that my personal opinion bears little relevance to how we structure the rules of scoobynet. Its up to the community.
Old 06 October 2008, 06:08 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

I absolutely hate it. I won't read a post with text speak in it!

Banning possibly a bit harsh but still a yes vote from me.
Old 06 October 2008, 06:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive voted 'yes', but we NEED MODERATION to deal with the problem when it arises.
Old 06 October 2008, 06:10 PM
dave247
Scooby Regular

Personally i think its a stupid idea but it maybe because i am young, got to admit some of it is nearly unreadable but most of its fine.

Im sure i read that kids wouldnt be penalised if they used it in exams and at school.
Old 06 October 2008, 06:24 PM
Cream
Scooby Regular

My vote is no, Everyone uses text speak to some extent even if it only LOL.

What next if your spelling or punctuation are poor? Because that will be me stuffed.

If a thread is that bad that it offends you, like one not so long ago, Don't read it. End off.
Old 06 October 2008, 06:25 PM
New_scooby_04

LOL isn't text speak mate, it's an abbreviation!

wot i mean is tlk lke dis

Ns04
Old 06 October 2008, 06:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Bar one poster near the top of this thread, so far mainly newb's have voted no, and older members' yes.

Anything to read in that

I voted yes b.t.w. Can accept poor spelling, but text speak is deliberate spelling mistakes, not say dyslexia where it can't be helped. That's my reasoning as I personally find it lazy and disrespectful I.M.H.O.(< an abbreviation by the way)
Old 06 October 2008, 06:31 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

I think banning it is maybe a bit harsh and as for giving infractions because of it is a no no, some folk on here are way to sensitive. I agree though it is really annoying and sometimes takes a bit of time to decipher what the person is trying to say. Keep the text speak for mobile phones and not on forums, why waste the lovely keyboard with all those lovely letters in front of you
Old 06 October 2008, 06:37 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I voted 'Yes'.

I dont even like text speak in text's.
Old 06 October 2008, 06:38 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

gr8 idea
Old 06 October 2008, 06:39 PM
Cream
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Bar one poster near the top of this thread, so far mainly newb's have voted no, and older members' yes.

Anything to read in that

I voted yes b.t.w. Can accept poor spelling, but text speak is deliberate spelling mistakes, not say dyslexia where it can't be helped. That's my reasoning as I personally find it lazy and disrespectful I.M.H.O.(< an abbreviation by the way)

What has being a new member got to do with it? Is this an old boy's club that no one new is allowed to join?
By the way I'm a 38 year father of three, have my own business, Drive a scooby and don't use text talk myself. Half the time I don't even understand it. But I still don't think it should be banned. It's not as if it's even a big problem on this forum.
Also as far as I'm concerned abbreviations are all but the same as text talk. What's wrong can you not type 'in my humble opinion' or 'by the way'?
Old 06 October 2008, 06:41 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no imo, because there will be new members joining up who wouldn't know this rule and get slated for typing like DIS

wiley
Old 06 October 2008, 06:42 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Yes ban text speak. And hang anybody who tries to use it

Neil.
Old 06 October 2008, 06:43 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

It is for me irritating but as for banning it - i'm not sure.

If something irritates me on the tv i ignore it just like i do posts which have txt speak in them.

If it winds you up then dont reply or post anything its easy to do!
Old 06 October 2008, 07:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cream
What has being a new member got to do with it? Is this an old boy's club that no one new is allowed to join?
By the way I'm a 38 year father of three, have my own business, Drive a scooby and don't use text talk myself. Half the time I don't even understand it. But I still don't think it should be banned. It's not as if it's even a big problem on this forum.
Also as far as I'm concerned abbreviations are all but the same as text talk. What's wrong can you not type 'in my humble opinion' or 'by the way'?
I'm not going to get into a war of words, but this is my basic desipher (sp) of it. Scoob's are cheaper than ever now, so thus are accesable to purchase for all sorts now - see where I'm going on this.

This isn't to suggest all noob's are chav sorts, but more and more noobies are using text speak, thus making the intellegicen level of this place look lower and lower.

Anywho, the difference between abbreviations and text speak are simple. Ab. are used to shorten things, and this is why they are used in all manner of situations, like I.T. or construction etc. Text speak, is just a childish way of shorteneing works using numbers or missing letters out. Ab. are usually a couple of letters to mean a word (to save time), like the periodic table for instance. However, with text speak, people may spell 'right' 'ryte', or 'might' 'myte' etc. Generally abbreviations for words stay the same and are universally recognised, where as text peak can just be any old word shortened and mashed together. It actually takes longer to read in some cases.

So in short, me saying b.t.w. or i.m.h.o. is a quicker (but understood way) of shortening something.

Sorry to sound patronising, especially as your considerably older than me, but the way I read your post, my feelings needed explaining.
Old 06 October 2008, 07:05 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

its petty wanting text speak banned, i don't use it particularly but i don't worry about my spelling either, i like to look at the forum now and then and if theres anything i want to comment on i do, quite possibly with spelling and grammatical errors.

If someone wants to do the same and wants to cut some corners with text speak is it really that bad? this place is supposed to be for some relaxing banter and exchange of ideas amongst broadly like minded people, and that thread before may have been a wind up, but the sad attempt to follow it up was pathetic. I didn't contribute to that thread as i felt having nothing positive to add i'd leave it, if only others would do the same.

I'm a relativly new member but i do find it depressing the way many threads end up in arguments usually over the spelling or some scooby related lack of knowledge someone has shown, often with nothing to do with the initial question in the thread.

I suppose though if enough paying members vote to ban it it will be banned, but i don't think it should be
Old 06 October 2008, 07:13 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Yes, I may be deemed old fashioned but I am sick and tired of this dreadful hijack of the English language.
I teach in a college to groups of year 11 kids who "for whatever reason" have found that school "didn't work for them" ie the cream of Barking and Dagenham (for those of you that know the area) and I do believe, that in many cases, they really believe this is the English language!!
Whilst I have no problem with those who can't spell or those with dyslexia, some postee's on here obviously think it's "cool" to use this drivel.

JohnD (Grumpy old git)

PS I refuse to use it, even when I text!

Last edited by JohnD; 06 October 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06 October 2008, 07:22 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

how would this work though? i can just imagine some members trawling through the threads and then finding with glee some example of text speak to refer to the moderator, no doubt with a post on said thread featuring some sarcastic comment and at least one of the following range:

is it even that much of a problem? i haven't noticed it particularly, and what if people say they are dyslexic, or that they are of low intelligence and perhaps they willingly admit it, no doubt that will be met by sarcasm once more.
Old 06 October 2008, 07:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JRFRACE
how would this work though? i can just imagine some members trawling through the threads and then finding with glee some example of text speak to refer to the moderator, no doubt with a post on said thread featuring some sarcastic comment and at least one of the following range:

is it even that much of a problem? i haven't noticed it particularly, and what if people say they are dyslexic, or that they are of low intelligence and perhaps they willingly admit it, no doubt that will be met by sarcasm once more.

But there is a difference between someone with a genuine spelling problem and someone sticking numbers in the middle of words deliberatley - come on.
Old 06 October 2008, 07:28 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

As much as I dislike the use of text speak other than in text messages I feel that a ban on the use of such is a bit much.

TBH sorry to be honest text speak is no more than a shortening of a word a little like the favoured acronyms use regularily on here and many many other places, I myself remember when the internet first came to life and was accessible by the masses {through 56k dialup} and IRC or internet related chat was alive.
In those times at the start the use of acronyms even were not thought of and look what happened, now they are widely accepted without arguement, the same I feel will eventually happen with text speak.

So anyway I voted not to ban it for the reasons posted above as if it becomes banned then really all linked types of writing too should be banned and everyone should be then forced to use the queens english the way it was mean't to be used {myself I would struggle then}
Where do you stop, just because you do not like the way someone writes who are any of us to really judge them on that....

TTFN

Paul.
Old 06 October 2008, 07:30 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Text speak is fudging annoying & lazy. Even if you are Dyslexic you can use Firefox with a dictionary plug-in to check the spelling of your posts.

I voted 'Yes' to the ban!
Old 06 October 2008, 07:47 PM
MissyV
Scooby Regular

Not been on here long but long enough to realise people are getting too hyped up about "txt" speak...

I understand it can be annoying & hard to understand at times but so can other people's local dialect...for example, I think a certain person chats breeze...erm? Now some people may not even know what I mean when I say 'chats breeze' the same way you may not understand or like it when sum1 strts typin lik dis...

BUT...

It's people's individuality...some people use it to distinguish themselves from others and stand out, it's not necessarily a lazy thing, it may even be a natural thing for some...so c'mon now, lets not get carried away and start a dictatorship here...its a good site...let people be who they are!

Fin.

Last edited by MissyV; 06 October 2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06 October 2008, 07:48 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its banned on some of the other sites i use.

I find it stupid and annoying personally so id like to see it banned here too. If people can't write in a somewhat decent readable manner i dont want to see their input personally.
Old 06 October 2008, 07:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MissyV
Not been on here long but long enough to realise people are getting too hyped up about "txt" speak...

I understand it can be annoying & hard to understand at times but so can other people's local dialect...for example, I think COB chats breeze...erm? Now some people may not even know what I mean when I say 'chats breeze' the same way you may not understand or like it when sum1 strts typin lik dis...

BUT...

It's people's individuality...some people use it to distinguish themselves from others and stand out, it's not necessarily a lazy thing, it may even be a natural thing for some...so c'mon now, lets not get carried away and start a dictatorship here...its a good site...let people be who they are!

Fin.
Elaborate.

Feel free to pm me if you wish to single me out

Quick Reply: Should text speak be Banned on ScoobyNet?