3 Points for tinted windows.

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2008, 08:06 PM
hasting_s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Points for tinted windows.

Hey,

I got pulled over by the traffic cops and got spoken to about hard acceleration after passing the 70mph sign on the dual carriageway. Anyway after giving me a telling off an making me watch myself on the camera inside there car they decided to use there light meter on my front driver an passenger windows. Long story short the windows failed an they gave me an on the spot three points an £60 fine with no talk of when they'd like to see the car again to see the tints were off or anything and no option to go take tints off within ten days or so.

That was bad enough but when I've got my license back last week I phoned up my insurance to tell them about the extra points my insurance told me the code I had on my license was for using a mobile phone whilst drving!??

Does anyone know why this is or do I have a case for anything, any police on here?

Cheers

Duane
Old 02 October 2008, 08:14 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

i thought they gave people the chance to peel the tint off in-front of them,then they would let you off???....unlucky mate anyway
Old 02 October 2008, 08:16 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Corrupt coppers.......never!
Old 02 October 2008, 08:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good use of police resources: "hard accleration" and tints.

Are you reading this thread, all you police apologists?

Alcazar
Old 02 October 2008, 09:22 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

As usual bugger all better to do than go for the easy targets instead of doing some proper work. They don't do themselves any favours do they ?!
Old 02 October 2008, 09:36 PM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

Here we go again
Old 02 October 2008, 09:52 PM
DB07P1
Scooby Regular

basically done so they can log it down to show they have actually done some work,instead of catching real criminals(that would be faaaaaaaaar 2 hard)!
Old 02 October 2008, 09:57 PM
s1lko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Good use of police resources: "hard accleration" and tints.

Are you reading this thread, all you police apologists?

Alcazar
Drawing attention to yourself when you have illegal tints is just asking to be pulled. I doubt very much they started the day thinking "I know, let's crack down on hard acceleration and tints today".

If someone chooses to have windows that are darker than the law states, they're bound to want a closer look, especially if he puts his foot down. What's he got to hide? Is he trying to put traffic in between us? Is he someone that doesn't want to be seen? And why?

I haven't got rose tinted glasses here. I've been pulled enough to see both sides of the coin, and get p'd off about it. But a lot of how you're treated can depend on your attitude.

One minute I was getting 3 points for doing 114mph on the M25, largely because the traffic officer expected me to be full of chat and excuses. They were ready to throw the book at me otherwise.

Only a week later I was pulled by a copper who, in his words, wanted to see how long it would take me to get out of my harnesses. Yeah, I thought he was funny too. He checked over my other mods, including the bucket seats I had to check they were properly bolted in, etc. In the end he thanked me for my attitude and sent me on my way.

An inconvenience yes, but in retrospect, if I was driving a deathtrapn (the car had panels in primer because it was getting a respray two days later), would you want me sharing the road with you or your family?

Bottom line is, if you don't break the law, what is there to worry about? If you do, and you get caught, live with it (providing they actually do you for the right offence!).

Back to the original poster. I'm not suggesting in any way that you're dodgy by the way. Just suggesting to the anti-police posters why they might've made the decision to pull you over.
Old 02 October 2008, 10:10 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A64 today was heaving with ANPR vans, dog vans, three evos, two Volvos, a Skoda, a Focus (black), a VW Passat (black).... and that's only the ones I saw !

All doing fine work, even checking for "cherry" diesel !

My Scoob got lots of looks..... at 71 mph officer !

Good use of tax payers money in my opinion.

DunxC

P.S. S1lko, they pulled you because of the primer.... believe it or not, some crims have actually run out of paint whilst doing a stolen car up as a ringer !

Last edited by dunx; 02 October 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02 October 2008, 11:31 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

Serves you right.

You break the law, you pay a fine.

End of.
Old 03 October 2008, 08:19 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still got the ticket you signed?
It could equally be an admin error by the court clerk putting on the wrong code.

As for getting pulled over in the first place - unless it was an unmarked car -flooring it when a traffic car is behind you suggests a good reason for not having strong tints - don't you think?
Old 03 October 2008, 08:57 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

If they have made an error on the licence, send it back to the fixed penalty office and insist they correct it.

Simon
Old 03 October 2008, 09:05 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

I thought it was a £30 fine for tints and no points same with number plates! or am i wrong ?
Old 03 October 2008, 10:39 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

I still think that even with tints (stupipd really as you're just waiting to be either a told to remove them or b fined) that surely the police should have something better to do, we always being told they need more feet on the street well if they werent wasting their time with people like this maybe there would be.
Old 03 October 2008, 10:48 AM
scooby(puppy power)
Scooby Regular

i had tints on a alpha 156, and when i got pulled they put the light meter on and it was that dark that they gave me a prohibition notice meaning i couldn't drive the car till they'd retested it, i got a £30 fine and no points, i'd bought the car like that with a 12 month ticket (private unfortunatley so no come back) i had to take the tints of which was a bastid to do, well cleaning all the glue of was, my advice if you are removing tints get some second hand windows from the scrappy, as soon as water and soap hit mine they just went unseable through and it took ages and lots of scrubbing to get off, even though the copper was a c*** for pulling me he did tell me not to wind the windows down till id cleaned them properly as they would stick down, also i have to say the car still looked good with just the rears done and i could see at night again properly, i thought from day one of gettingthe car it was to dark at night and that was the main point the officer was making when i got pulled they're ok in daylight but its like having dark galsses on at night (very blues brothers) and it was a lot harder to see, i did on some occasions at night have to wind the window down to make sure nothing was coming, i personally would never haved tinted fronts again not because ive been pulled for it but for the safety of it all, being pulled just made get my **** in gear at something id been meaning to do anyway.

Last edited by scooby(puppy power); 03 October 2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03 October 2008, 12:57 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
I thought it was a £30 fine for tints and no points! or am i wrong ?
Thats what i got a couple of years ago

Pulled me righ outside my workplace too, all my collegues were at the windows laughing there heads off
Old 03 October 2008, 01:39 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

I bought my car with blacked out tints at the front, took them off within two weeks, terrible vision at night, making it worse when it was raining.

3 points is harsh though. A mobile phone conviction code is a CU80. There is no conviction code for tinted windows, which should mean points can not be applied.

SetoN
Old 03 October 2008, 01:52 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geoteds2002
Here we go again
...no..no must resist....man don't get me started please! even I'm sick of my police rants now ......they were bang out of order though, my understanding is they allow you to at least remove a part of one on the spot and then remove the rest within a certain amount of time....as for the wrong code I think you should take that up at your local station...unless you were using ur phone whilst driving.
Old 03 October 2008, 01:55 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JPF
...no..no must resist....man don't get me started please! even I'm sick of my police rants now ......they were bang out of order though, my understanding is they allow you to at least remove a part of one on the spot and then remove the rest within a certain amount of time....as for the wrong code I think you should take that up at your local station...unless you were using ur phone whilst driving.
Don't mean bang out of order for stopping you by the way as dark tints can be dangerous, but not giving you a chance to remove them is a bit off.
Old 03 October 2008, 05:01 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

I was told if you say the windows are for show only and when you drive you have them open you can get away with it??? This has happend to me in brum city centre race night as they call it. Got stopped to dark they said but i was in a petroll station, i said i open them when im on the road traffic cop said ok let me go on my way .....
Old 03 October 2008, 06:56 PM
MissyV
Scooby Regular

I'm confused...can someone confirm whether getting points and a fine is now a standard thing when caught with tints on your front windows?

Like someone said before, I thought it was just a fine!
Old 03 October 2008, 06:58 PM
s1lko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark ward
I was told if you say the windows are for show only and when you drive you have them open you can get away with it??? This has happend to me in brum city centre race night as they call it. Got stopped to dark they said but i was in a petroll station, i said i open them when im on the road traffic cop said ok let me go on my way .....
Try that on a rainy day?
Old 03 October 2008, 07:16 PM
mikesfarm1
Scooby Regular

I thought it was a £30 fine for tints and no points same with number plates! or am i wrong ?
i think your correct. you should be issued with a vehicle defect notice. were you have to go get a new mot with what ever was wrong fixed and then produce this at police station.
Old 03 October 2008, 07:49 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Deffo a £30 fine for illegal tints.
The ticket would have had the offence code along with the offence wording. If these don't correspond then perhaps a b*lls up by the cops and points should be wiped clean.
Old 03 October 2008, 08:22 PM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DB07P1
basically done so they can log it down to show they have actually done some work,instead of catching real criminals(that would be faaaaaaaaar 2 hard)!
change the record fella
Old 03 October 2008, 08:34 PM
hasting_s
Scooby Regular

Hey,

Yeh car was tinted when I bought it and was goin to take them off but just hadn't got round to it not making excuses that's just what happened. When they tested the windows they said they were only lettin through 30% of the light instead of the 70% they're supposed to be. I've done some more searchin an apparently 3 points an the fine is the heaviest penalty you can get. So there's nothing I can do about that but surely they can't just put down the code for me being on a mobile because there is not a code for tints!?
As far as drawing attention to myself when accelerating is concerned I can hardly help it in a scooby plus I like the note from 40 to 70 and they were sitting hiding away as per. Not having a rant about police was just wondering where I stood with having wrong code on license.

An sorry yes you were right it was a £30 quid fine, sorry my mistake.

Cheers
Old 03 October 2008, 08:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SetoN
I bought my car with blacked out tints at the front, took them off within two weeks, terrible vision at night, making it worse when it was raining.

3 points is harsh though. A mobile phone conviction code is a CU80. There is no conviction code for tinted windows, which should mean points can not be applied.

SetoN
Come on

Do a little research and you'll see there is a code for "all other offences" that aren't laid down on the looong list they have.

I found this while doing insurance quotes and putting on my TS10.
Old 03 October 2008, 08:49 PM
kylejennings05
Scooby Regular

a friend of mine got pulled last week for his tints, got a £30 fine and was told to take the tints off when he got home. he didnt get any points though.
Old 03 October 2008, 10:51 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hasting_s
Hey,

Yeh car was tinted when I bought it and was goin to take them off but just hadn't got round to it not making excuses that's just what happened. When they tested the windows they said they were only lettin through 30% of the light instead of the 70% they're supposed to be. I've done some more searchin an apparently 3 points an the fine is the heaviest penalty you can get. So there's nothing I can do about that but surely they can't just put down the code for me being on a mobile because there is not a code for tints!?
As far as drawing attention to myself when accelerating is concerned I can hardly help it in a scooby plus I like the note from 40 to 70 and they were sitting hiding away as per. Not having a rant about police was just wondering where I stood with having wrong code on license.

An sorry yes you were right it was a £30 quid fine, sorry my mistake.

Cheers
Not making any sense this.

You originally say you got a £60 fine and 3 points but now you are saying that you got a £30 fine and points.

You also say that the fine is for illegal tints [non endorsable] but you revised license says the 3 points are for driving/mobile use?

AFAIK there is no such combination [£30 fine and 3 points]

Old 04 October 2008, 08:54 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

iirc If you're letting less than 70% of light through your front tints, you'll get a fine, a slap on the wrist & made to remove them there & then

less than 30% & you'll get all the above plus 3 points ...for driving a defective vehicle

Quick Reply: 3 Points for tinted windows.