Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formal Police Warning

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2001, 12:13 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This really sounds like a wind up. On of your mates has been busy with the scanner and the colour printer. Call the office where you are supposed to send your confession and ask them if this is a standard letter. Don't reply until you check this and then check it with a solicitor. You could do yourself a lot of damage in the future with a badly worded reply if the letter is legit.
Old 19 January 2001, 12:26 AM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

The letter I received is not a hoax, I'm sure.
Multi-coloured paper, signed "pp Chief Superintendent" with a real signature followed by a 4-digit number (presumably the policeman's number).
The location mentioned is a road name and village name. The village has a 30-limit. As we never exceed 30 in a 30 limit (like most of you do from previous posts), we can only assume it refers to the roads before and after the village which are straight and wide-open and can be usefully used to overtake, bearing in mind the national speed limit.
Is it possible that another driver, dawdling along at 35 was surprised to be overtaken at 60 and complained to the Police?
Old 19 January 2001, 12:29 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

These things do exist if there has been a technical fault or similar, but normally you should have received an NIP first. Without seeing the exact wording I can't be sure, although the chances are that it <B>is</B> genuine.

Best thing to do is give the Traffic Offences Unit a call (01223 358966) and give them the reference number. They'll be able to confirm if its genuine or not.

Cheers

S

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 19 January 2001).]
Old 19 January 2001, 10:05 AM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Question

We received a letter headed "NOTICE OF FORMAL WARNING - EXCESSIVE SPEED" yesterday.
The letter contains a date and time, the vehicle number and location of the alleged excessive speed and goes on...
"You have been detected driving at a speed in excess of that permitted on this road."
There follows a couple of paragraphs on the dangers of speed, and then...
"As an alternative to prosecution, you are asked to consider the above, and adjust your manner of driving in the future."
And finally...
"If you agree to the advice given, you may confirm so in writing. Upon receipt of your letter, I can confirm that no further action will be taken in respect of *this partricular speed offence*."

We've never seen one of these before. Has anyone else seen one?
How should we respond? Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 19 January 2001, 10:12 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Never heard of one either. Ring the cops & ask them. Sounds like a wind-up to me.

Also date/time for NIP purposes. By the time you respond, the NIP letter might be too late.

(Also what road? )
Old 19 January 2001, 10:21 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Wierd, sounds like maybe you werent speeding, which annoyed a cop somewhere, who ran your plates and had a warning letter sent out to you, just to make sure you are given some sort of hassle for driving a fast car.
If you were speeding, and they did have cause and proof to prosecute, Im sure they would have, a letter warning you of the dangers of speed makes me think that they have you marked as a potential speeder cause of what you drive, and hope that by letting you know they are watching you, you'll not speed.
I dont know, actually my explanation sounds pretty lame, sorry.
Old 19 January 2001, 10:52 AM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

hmmmm...

I think if they had really caught you speeding, you would be opening your mail to a prosecution, not a "get out of jail free card".

Never heard of this before... You could give them a ring and question them

In the current climate of Gatso's being put up every 10m and temporary cameras behind every tree, I would have thought they would be after your wallet by now

Let us know what you decide to do

Scott.
Old 19 January 2001, 10:54 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Subject to other comments you may receive on this thread I would take it at face value, confirm your acceptance in writing, send by recorded delivery, and be grateful for a second chance. I presume you weren't way over the limit? David
Old 19 January 2001, 11:02 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

I just had a thought (which is a frightening enough fact in itself), but couldnt you sending your acceptance be viewed as an admitance of guilt?
If you werent speeding (or even if you were), Id take the letter personally to a Police Station, and discuss the matter with them, as you dont want to go professing guilt to speeding, when they may not have any proof.
Old 19 January 2001, 11:21 AM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Good point made by IntegraR...

Maybe it is a legitamate letter. But that could mean that they did not have cameras/detectors or videos running to trap what speed you were doing.

By replying and accepting what they have said, you are in fact making a statement of guilt..

Any scooby lawyers out there ?

Old 19 January 2001, 11:22 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

Interesting point Integra, however given that you only "agree to the advice given"
they cannot infer that you are confirming that you did speed. Either way, if the try to imply that you did, that would be entrapment.
I am sure Stuart will clear this up imminently...
KF.
Old 19 January 2001, 11:24 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I wouldn't acknowledge speeding if I were you.

Stuart H - any ideas?
Old 19 January 2001, 11:25 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Sounds suspect to me..... If they've got proof that you were speading why are they not trying to get some of your hard earned???? I wouldn't trust this, it's either a wind up or Mature William have no real evidence against you.

I have to admit to having family in the plod so if you want me to find out if this kind of thing is legit just let me know.

Mike

[This message has been edited by RB170 (edited 19 January 2001).]
Old 19 January 2001, 11:29 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Where are you asked to reply to? Is it a genuine police address?

If you want to reply say you don't recall, but you wouldn't want to call them liars so maybe you had an emergency, and that you have used that road since the Romans built it and have never been prosecuted for speeding on it, because you don't, being very conscious of the importance of driving safely within limits, being an honest citizen etc, thank you for your good offices if only more driver education of this nature was encouraged blah blah.

Everyone's a winner.

Old 19 January 2001, 04:27 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

sounds like they're trying to get round the EU law about not incriminating yourself...

"Yes, I'd like to admit to this offence!"

They whip off the carbon paper and underneath you're signing for soemthing else totally differently.

AFAIK the Police aren't known for their altruism- must be some technical reason that they couldn't prosecute. Maybe they realised the equipment was out of calibration etc.

Bet it would go on file and be considered against you in a future case.
Old 19 January 2001, 04:29 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

And another thing...

Does it say what they'll do if you don;t reply? (I know it says as an alternative to prosecution...)

but it doesn't explicitly state if you don;t reply you will be prosecuted.

Very odd.
Old 20 January 2001, 11:32 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

This is odd! - keep us updated !

Mick
Old 20 January 2001, 04:15 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

There is no mention of what happens if we don't reply.
And the "alleged" infringement took place on 11th January, so presumably they have only until the 25th to send an NIP?
Old 20 January 2001, 04:33 PM
chrisrennie
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

the best thing you can do with this letter is put it in the bin and forget all about it.its just a load of ****.if it was genuine they would have to show you the proof first hand.someone is taking the **** out of you.but if you want to own up to speeding then go ahead sign that letter and send it back,then you will have a marked car and then a real speeding ticket!! chris

Old 20 January 2001, 05:02 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Chris' idea is somewhat harsh....

however if in your shoes I would take the form to the police station and show it to the desk sergeant of the station it was sent from, ask to speak to the officer that signed it and then take it from there...

At the end of the day, you can only be honest..you do not know for sure if they have NO proof of your speeding

Perhaps an off duty officer saw you or something and its just a polite way of saying watch the loud pedal?

Regards
Ronnie
Old 20 January 2001, 05:04 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chrisrennie:
<B>its just a load of ****.[/quote]

Much like your post then.
Old 20 January 2001, 06:06 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

My take on this ...

I personally never remember whether I speeded or not at a certain date / place. I normally don't, especially in built up areas, but on a day like yesterday (a bit p**d off at work) for example, I might have. I'm no saint.

I would take the letter at face value, and just answer it. Maybe the copper is giving you a break, but expects a bit of respect/acknowledgment.

Think about the letter, answer it, case closed.

If it's not genuine, someone pulled a prank - of a pretty iffy nature, I might add.

If that witty person would then ask you "wink wink, nodge nodge, soohh, you were speeding uh ? " I would punch him on the nose and then ask "how did you know ?".

Then report him for forgery...

(no smilies)

Theo
Old 20 January 2001, 08:45 PM
Bernmc2
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have to say that if the letter is genuine, it's kinda nice of the police involved to send it rather than a fine - maybe there are a few traffic cops out there who are actually interested in safe driving rather than filling Mr Brown's coffers.

I'd consider saying sorry Mr Officer Sir, I won't do it again Mr Officer Sir, and have a nice Mr Officer Sir please Mr Officer sir
Old 21 January 2001, 02:17 AM
chrisrennie
Scooby Newbie

Cool

my posting wasnt hasty,it was just the truth.at the most i would do is call the police and ask them if they know about the letter,just to find out if its genuine.
under no curcimstanses own up to speeding either way it turns out though!! sorry if i sounded too hasty.
chris
Old 22 January 2001, 01:27 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

22b,

A while ago when I was a bit of a lad I was told by those who claimed to know that if you accepted a formal warning it stayed on your record for a time and could be used if you were ever brought in again for another offence. If you were to accept the offer and sign and send the letter back would they up the ante if you were caught speeding again in the same area ? ie: instead of 3 points and £40 would they go higher, or straight to a ban, as you had accepted a previous warning about your driving.

Please keep us informed of what you decide to do and the outcome. Just as an aside there was an item in the Sunday Times which told of people being issued with radar guns and yellow flak jackets in order to make detailed studies of speeders in selected areas of the country. At times these people would be joined by genuine traffic police to ensure enforcement of the RTA.

Regards

Yex
Old 22 January 2001, 05:47 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

I've had something similar, but on the side of the road, copper in a Senator had followed me at 85mph for about 30 miles at 2am on a Sunday on the M4. He asked me to get into his car, advised me what i'd been doing, showed me a bit of the video(!) remarked that i was incredibly consistent (?!) so he'd let me off with a written warning, which i signed and he gave me a copy of, and therefore no further proceedings would be taken (I was doing 85 in a 70, dropping to 65 in a 50 for roadworks)

He was cool about it, said he was surprised my mum's Hyundai could hold that speed for that distance!!!

Owain McRae.
Old 22 January 2001, 07:03 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Take it to your local cop shop, and say "My mate was sent this and wants to know if it's real".
Old 22 January 2001, 10:12 PM
matt_d
Scooby Regular

Wait until 14 days from the supposed offence, then give them a call and say you can't remember the incident in question, and ask for some more details in writing (e.g. what road, what speed were you going, how many people were in the car etc). If you genuinely don't remember the alleged offence then I don't see anything wrong with this. Just get some written clarification then you'll be in a better position to judge what to do, without incriminating yourself.
Old 23 January 2001, 01:06 PM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

Smile

22BUK

I would probably do as Stuart H suggests. If you look at his profile you will see he is a member of this fine establishment etc. etc. and he probably knows more than we do! I would consider his advice on this one.

Jo

(Law abiding Scooby Driver )