Sponsored by:

Cant decide...?!

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2008, 07:32 PM
prodrive 1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cant decide...?!

I just sold my motorcycle due to the poor british weather we get here, i have not been out for a proper ride this year at all...if im not working the weathers just not up too it!
Prior to me bikes i had a host of scoobys and i have decided after looking at all the other similar styles of car out there that i am going to buy another scooby.
I have owned a v5 sti type r, a P1, a v2 wrx import and driven a v7 wrx, v4 wrx wagon, a v4 sti ra and a v9 wrx.

I have no clue as to what scooby i want this time round, i intend to strip it out anyway and use it for track/fast road. Im a newly qualified race car engineer and i hopefully just landed a job at Prodrive

I will be carrying out all the work myself, i have so far looked at another P1, a v6 sti type r, a prodrive edition sti bugeye. Regarding race car prep. i will probably strip her out, stiffen the chassis by strut bracing/suspension adjustments, upgrade the braking system maybe go for 2 cylinders and brake bias unit, semi slick tyres for dry use only, adjust the geometry to suit my driving/intended use, put two race seats in with harnesses, get rid of all uneccesary wiring carpets seats etc, bin the sounds etc... fit rally style door cards, then maybe go for a bit more power. I am about to do my national B and i also teach advanced driving (IAM and ex forces/close protection driving) so i dont care for much over 300hp...its more about what you can do with it that counts. Who can really plant 300ponies into a corner
anyway???

So as you can tell it wont be an everyday car, lol...

Any suggestions, i have my eye on a bugeye prodrive at the mo, minus the PPP.
Old 27 September 2008, 08:43 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For your requirements there is only one car to choose v3 type r.
Old 27 September 2008, 11:04 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will find many of us are running 400 bhp road cars, on semi-slicks and are managing fine. Time Attack is commonly a place where 600 bhp Scoobs are the average.

You sound like you have the right idea, so a lighter classic will be preferable on track, whereas a new-age car is a fine road car with the usual mods.

I found that my bug-eye STI was the first car I with which could chase power increases before other mods simply because the grip and braking were far in excess of the 265 bhp standard.

Good luck and enjoy,

DunxC

P.S. Prodrive eh ! Some nice bits in the WRC skip I suppose...
Old 28 September 2008, 12:50 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

If your going down that route, consider buying two cars as market is Sh1te for selling but good for buying IIRC IMHO

1) a smashed up STi V8 Jdm with 6speed and DCCD
2) An old cheapest Sti classic with F**Ked engine or old unfinnished project.

but really depends on the budjet and what you hope to achieve, maybe better to just start with a RA or Type R classic.

Classic shell strip & lighten, weld in wide body kit & fit the JDM STI's engine & twin scroll turbo (good for 310+bhp) 6speed gear box, diff's, brakes & wiring loom ECU, coilovers etc.

Put some petrol in and start it up easy peasy, well it didn't take long to type it

There has been quite a few Projects on this sort of thing, best have a look in this section Projects and look at TA/hill climb type projects.

TA stands for Time Attack which is a race series for Amatuer/semi-Pros and pro teams

Good luck

Tony