panel filters

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2008, 09:15 PM
sticks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panel filters

hi guys
i was just wondering ,what is the best panel filter to get,it's for my bugeye sti.
Old 20 September 2008, 09:18 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

I have ran a K&N for 2 years without any probs.
Old 20 September 2008, 09:20 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

I have a Green filter in mine, doesn`t seem any different from the OE paper filter though.
Old 20 September 2008, 09:21 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by n one
I have a Green filter in mine, doesn`t seem any different from the OE paper filter though.
mmmmmmm snap!!!!!
Old 20 September 2008, 09:22 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

just keep the standard one unless you are running big bhp
Old 20 September 2008, 09:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The only real benefit is they're lifetime products, buy once and just clean them at each service. No worthwhile performance benefit.
Old 20 September 2008, 09:45 PM
Bikebloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

On an air fillter test run in evo mag The green pannel filter is one of the very best for air flow. Ive used em for years.
Old 20 September 2008, 09:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Test sponsored by Green maybe
Old 20 September 2008, 09:52 PM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

i have a hks and so does my bro
my last sooby had hks mushroom filter which i hated so put back on the original airbox with a K and N
Old 20 September 2008, 10:01 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Test sponsored by Green maybe
lol
Old 20 September 2008, 10:20 PM
rich67
Scooby Regular

Have a Simota in mine, as said just clean it once a year
Old 20 September 2008, 10:53 PM
sticks
Scooby Regular

ok guys,looks like they are all the same really.phanx for the input.
but why are the sti items so expensive!.they cost alot more than the after market items.
Old 20 September 2008, 10:58 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

I had a green panel filter and now I've got an original OEM paper filter and I cannot notice any difference at all so I'm not bothering with aftermarket panel filters any more
Old 21 September 2008, 11:35 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I have posted on here several times before, I have carefully tested on two consecutive days, 4 panel filters and the reason they were tested on the second day was that the results were not as expected.
There was a spread of less than 2 bhp between the HKS Green Foam, K+N, Standard OE Subaru item, and the disposable STi which was the most expensive. Obviously the first two are reusable and the last two are thrown away at 9000 mile intervals.
The filtration from the green foam filter was very poor, the K+N and OE item had good filtration and the STi had best filtration.
I don't doubt the STi is a good filter but it is disposable and the price is probably +100% for the lessers STi.
Personally I stick with the OE filter unless it is a car I am keeping in which case I run a K+N.
Old 21 September 2008, 12:07 PM
s1lko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
As I have posted on here several times before, I have carefully tested on two consecutive days, 4 panel filters and the reason they were tested on the second day was that the results were not as expected.
There was a spread of less than 2 bhp between the HKS Green Foam, K+N, Standard OE Subaru item, and the disposable STi which was the most expensive. Obviously the first two are reusable and the last two are thrown away at 9000 mile intervals.
The filtration from the green foam filter was very poor, the K+N and OE item had good filtration and the STi had best filtration.
I don't doubt the STi is a good filter but it is disposable and the price is probably +100% for the lessers STi.
Personally I stick with the OE filter unless it is a car I am keeping in which case I run a K+N.
Hi, out of curiosity, how did you measure the filtration levels? And did you measure airflow in any way?

The reason I ask is because Subaru would understandably put a well performing filter in as standard. So if it's filtration you're after and you're not bothered about anything else, stick with that. But most people choose to look at aftermarket filters for filtration AND better airflow.

The way I see it, there are four main criteria for judging air filters:
  1. Filtration
  2. Airflow
  3. Life expectancy
  4. Price

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning you or the testing, but I just wanted to add another side to the 'argument'. Besides, I think we all agree there's very little to choose between the better options.
Old 21 September 2008, 12:25 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Yep another K&N Panel Filter user here.

One of the best.

G
Old 21 September 2008, 12:40 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using ITG filters for the last 2 or 3 years, no complaints and no problems.
Old 21 September 2008, 12:57 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't prepared to go to the cost of more flow bench time when the rolling road sessions on two separate days resulted in the same results, both days, ie a spread of less than 2 bhp, the hks with "most" power, the O/E and K+N the same to all intents and purposes and the STi "trailing" with 1.8 bhp or some similar figure less.

Fitration was not done at that time but at a later stage over several days as I was unsure how to approach it. Fist I tried filtering flour but that was totally unsuccessful. The STi would not let any through, the O/E fiter was totally impervious and the K+N became a sticky mess. The HKS let some dust through but it too became clogged.
I then got some sweepings and filtered them several times and then trickled them on to each filter. Each filter was sat on top of the compressor electric motor to introduce a source of vibration.
Particle she size of sand grains could get throught the sponge, very little came throught he O/E and K+N, just some dust and both clogged badly and nothing came thought the STi. I did not have the facility to introduce an air flow or suction but from what I saw I was concerned at what could actually get through the sponge.
Old 22 September 2008, 07:52 PM
sticks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
I wasn't prepared to go to the cost of more flow bench time when the rolling road sessions on two separate days resulted in the same results, both days, ie a spread of less than 2 bhp, the hks with "most" power, the O/E and K+N the same to all intents and purposes and the STi "trailing" with 1.8 bhp or some similar figure less.

Fitration was not done at that time but at a later stage over several days as I was unsure how to approach it. Fist I tried filtering flour but that was totally unsuccessful. The STi would not let any through, the O/E fiter was totally impervious and the K+N became a sticky mess. The HKS let some dust through but it too became clogged.
I then got some sweepings and filtered them several times and then trickled them on to each filter. Each filter was sat on top of the compressor electric motor to introduce a source of vibration.
Particle she size of sand grains could get throught the sponge, very little came throught he O/E and K+N, just some dust and both clogged badly and nothing came thought the STi. I did not have the facility to introduce an air flow or suction but from what I saw I was concerned at what could actually get through the sponge.
thanx for the input,harvey.i have used k&n on my classic and was quite pleased with it,so i think i will go down that same route again.thanx to everyone else for their advice.