Hit by another car, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2008, 12:50 AM
pgudge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit by another car, what to do?

Hi all,

Today I was hit by another car, after looking in mirrors and manuvering into the right lane (two lanes off of a round about) another car came round the round about very fast, into the second lane and collided with me, hitting the right wing. I never saw him on the round about, and I had no way of getting out of his way. I don't think he could of stopped either with the speed.

We did the usual stuff and swapped details, whilst being asked "Why didn't you look in your mirrors", I just replied that I did, and he wasn't there when I manuvered. The damage to his car looked minimal, in fact I was a little pee'd I came off worse, but I suppose some has to. By the looks there was no dints, just scuffs and his wing mirror was broke. However My wing in badly dinted, alloy scratched and bumped scuffed (should wipe clean).

I tried to call APlan tonight to report it but they close at 5.30pm. About 8pm the guy rang me to see if I'd already called my insurance company, when I said no he asked if I would be interested in fixing this away from the insurance. The Police were there today, they were coming the other way but didn't see anything. They confirmed we both had valid insurance for the vehicles involved.

The guy seemed very nervous and stuttery, but he was taking to a stranger! He told me he was due a service and would get the car checked and chasis checked to make sure all is ok, and that he'd be happy to deal with his side of thinks. He claims to have been thinking about me with a Subaru and group 19 insurance, I thanked him, but then explained I wasn't willing to pay for repairs on my car after someone ran into me! and unless he was happy to pay for my repairs I would have to go through insurance company.

He just said he was not willing to admit it was his fault and that we'll have to go through the insurance company.

I'm obviously going to inform them first thing as that's in the terms and conditions of the cover. But a friend told me that I may be able to get it fixed for less than the excess on my policy (I think its £200). I know I said I wasn't willing to pay, but if this is going to save a lot of hassle and not having to prove that this guy was in the wrong, is that a better option. And if they turn round and blame it on me, what will happen then! I have NEVER rung an insurance company for anything other than to renew a policy, I don't know what the options are.

And my beautiful MY99 has a big dint in the wing

Thanks for any info.
Old 16 September 2008, 12:53 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to find out ASAP if you can sort this for less than £200 and sort it right first time.. Your mate might be able to pull a dint and sort a D reg fiesta but you want your car looking perfect again..

Think of your no claims too .. its likely to go 50/50 without anyone in your corner.. so if you can do it for less than the £200 I'd do it.. but sort it quick before he speaks to his insurance.
Old 16 September 2008, 06:12 AM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, APlan have a 24 hour claim line. I'll dig it out in a bit

Good luck getting everything sorted.