Sponsored by:

Lord I have sinned....

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2008, 05:43 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lord I have sinned....

Postman arrived today notifying me of my sin - 81mph in a 70mph limit - empty dual carriage way at 7-45pm - stupidly I was trying to get home to see my 5 and 6 year old kids before they went to bed.
That will teach me.
If plod did their job nicking paedophiles instead of chronic 'lawbreakers' like me then I wouldn't have to rush home in the first place
Old 15 September 2008, 05:46 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What have paedophiles got to do with your kids bedtime?
Old 15 September 2008, 05:51 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

I agree - a tenuous link - but arguebly if there weren't any on the streets I wouldn't have to worry about getting home to ensure they weren't hiding up some tree spying on bathtime
I was cross OK - just spouting the first thing that came out - I've calmed down now - writing the cheque for £60 has been theraputic
Old 15 September 2008, 05:51 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just think of all the times you didn't get caught going considerably faster
Old 15 September 2008, 05:55 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 15 September 2008, 05:55 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Feel your pain fella - I hate this cr*p.

The police need to focus their attentions elsewhere. Personally I feel a dual carriageway / motorway speed limit raise to 80mph is way overdue - probably one of the only reasons they don't do it is they stand to make more money out of us keeping it at 70mph....

They should be out catching the thieving little scum who break into houses or steal / break into cars. Thank Labour for their performance driven targets....
Old 15 September 2008, 06:58 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you stopped, lasered, Gatso'd??
Sounds like they were on a speeding ticket mission - they're usually more interested in 90+

JohnD
Old 16 September 2008, 08:14 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Were you stopped, lasered, Gatso'd??
Sounds like they were on a speeding ticket mission - they're usually more interested in 90+

JohnD
Yeah, getting close to Christmas; must be saving for the booze for their Christmas Ball.
Old 16 September 2008, 10:55 AM
BlooSooby
Scooby Regular

You're a menace to society, I'm surprised they didn't lock you up and throw away the key.
Old 16 September 2008, 12:11 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Feel your pain fella - I hate this cr*p.

The police need to focus their attentions elsewhere. Personally I feel a dual carriageway / motorway speed limit raise to 80mph is way overdue - probably one of the only reasons they don't do it is they stand to make more money out of us keeping it at 70mph....

They should be out catching the thieving little scum who break into houses or steal / break into cars. Thank Labour for their performance driven targets....
It doesn't matter what you think.

The law has been broken whether or not you agree that the law is right.

The sooner we condemn these unlawful practices the better off we and society will be. Forever saying the law is wrong or the police should be catching "real" criminals (which speeding motorists are, after all) is a fallacy and only breeds pointless sympathy rather than the deserved scorn we should be expressing.
Old 16 September 2008, 01:44 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

I got pulled over the other week at 11:00pm on a saturday night for miss spaced reg plates. Fined £30. Sat in the back of his car for 15 mins while he wrote out a ticket.

This weekend just gone, my girlfriend had gone out with her mates and i was in town with mine. Her and 2 mates got in a private taxi and headed off to a near by bar. Along the way the taxi driver came across an old Mondeo doing under the limit in the right hand lane of the duel carrage way and gave him a flash to get him to move over. The Mondeo didnt budge so the taxi proceeded to undertake, but the Mondeo moved over to block him, so the taxi driver moved back over, tired to over take and was barged into the side of, then over taken and given the good news with an emergency stop. taxi went right into the back of the mondeo. mondeo speeded off, and the taxi driver went mad and started chasing him. off the main road onto the back streets, round a council estate. Girls were scared and rang the police, operator asked where they were, girls didnt know the area so could only explain what road the turned off onto the estate, operator was snotty and said if they didnt know where they were then how could they help?! still on the phone the mondeo stopped and they found a street sign and told the operator. Mondeo driver got out and jumped on the bonnet and started kicking through the windsheild, taxi driver got out and chased the guy off on foot round the corner. The estate came to life and people (chavs) started coming out their houses and getting on their mobiles. girls locked the door and waited.

40 mins later, the police turned up. Didnt ask if the girls were ok or hurt the the collisions, just took a statement from the taxi driver and were told to be on their way as the taxi was still mobile. When she asked the police why they been so long the responce was "they had been busy."

Maybe someone had miss spaced their reg plate.

Luckily they were left only shaken, but it could have been a different situation and a much worse outcome. 40 mins responce time from a paniced 999 call by young scared girls is unacceptable.

Seton
Old 16 September 2008, 02:26 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm afraid it's your car and your responsibility, you got to take the hit...
do should do a higher national speed limit for faster cars with better brakes
wiley
Old 16 September 2008, 03:14 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by SetoN
I got pulled over the other week at 11:00pm on a saturday night for miss spaced reg plates. Fined £30. Sat in the back of his car for 15 mins while he wrote out a ticket.

This weekend just gone, my girlfriend had gone out with her mates and i was in town with mine. Her and 2 mates got in a private taxi and headed off to a near by bar. Along the way the taxi driver came across an old Mondeo doing under the limit in the right hand lane of the duel carrage way and gave him a flash to get him to move over. The Mondeo didnt budge so the taxi proceeded to undertake, but the Mondeo moved over to block him, so the taxi driver moved back over, tired to over take and was barged into the side of, then over taken and given the good news with an emergency stop. taxi went right into the back of the mondeo. mondeo speeded off, and the taxi driver went mad and started chasing him. off the main road onto the back streets, round a council estate. Girls were scared and rang the police, operator asked where they were, girls didnt know the area so could only explain what road the turned off onto the estate, operator was snotty and said if they didnt know where they were then how could they help?! still on the phone the mondeo stopped and they found a street sign and told the operator. Mondeo driver got out and jumped on the bonnet and started kicking through the windsheild, taxi driver got out and chased the guy off on foot round the corner. The estate came to life and people (chavs) started coming out their houses and getting on their mobiles. girls locked the door and waited.

40 mins later, the police turned up. Didnt ask if the girls were ok or hurt the the collisions, just took a statement from the taxi driver and were told to be on their way as the taxi was still mobile. When she asked the police why they been so long the responce was "they had been busy."

Maybe someone had miss spaced their reg plate.

Luckily they were left only shaken, but it could have been a different situation and a much worse outcome. 40 mins responce time from a paniced 999 call by young scared girls is unacceptable.

Seton
That is truly shocking. Glad to hear your girlfriend was okay; typical police response nowadays from what I've experienced - 40 minutes seems to be quick...they're all too busy dealing with someone who might have been offended by a flag being defaced etc. This country needs to get its priorities right...
Old 16 September 2008, 05:26 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

That is truly shocking. Glad to hear your girlfriend was okay; typical police response nowadays from what I've experienced - 40 minutes seems to be quick...they're all too busy dealing with someone who might have been offended by a flag being defaced etc. This country needs to get its priorities right...
When my car was stollen they didn't even want to know on the 999 line, I had to go to the police station, because "it's not an emergency"! If they were on the ball* they may have caught them.

* by on the ball I mean doing real police work rather than catching people just over the speed limit or with incorrectly spaced number plates
Old 16 September 2008, 05:53 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
When my car was stollen they didn't even want to know on the 999 line, I had to go to the police station, because "it's not an emergency"! If they were on the ball* they may have caught them.

* by on the ball I mean doing real police work rather than catching people just over the speed limit or with incorrectly spaced number plates
I'm depressed again now - well at least I commuted in the Rover today so I can drive home flat out without worrying about breaking any speed limits
Old 16 September 2008, 09:03 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Another boring Police doing their job thread............ Can't you tag it to one of the others.?
Old 17 September 2008, 06:55 AM
Sclarke
Scooby Regular

Even though I agree with the sentiment of the motorist being fined at every opportunity I can't see how you can justify 81MPH on the basis that your kids were waiting up for you.

If you do the maths over 100miles at 81mph it would take you 1h 14mins

If you had driven at 70 MPH for 100miles it would have taken you 1h 26mins

So for every ten miles of your commute it would have saved you 1 minute and 12 seconds

I don't know how long your commute is but I'm guessing it is less than 100miles? With that in mind I'm sure they could have waited.

If you wanted to get home quicker you need to go at least 100mph to start making a reasonable difference

Anyway, it's just an observation and not meant as a dig. I've been done for speeding at least 4 or 5 times too! When I got to 9 points I drove at the speed limit for about a year which made me realise how little difference it really makes in reaching your destination.

Steve
Old 17 September 2008, 08:36 AM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4

Did you see your car being stolen?

If not then why is it an emergency?

If your car had been parked up for a while then how would you know when it was taken?? who it was??, where it had gone to etc.

Sorry but I fully agree with the advice you were given, although I can understand your frustration as I would be well unhappy if my car was nicked.
Old 17 September 2008, 10:29 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Geoteds2002
Did you see your car being stolen?

If not then why is it an emergency?

If your car had been parked up for a while then how would you know when it was taken?? who it was??, where it had gone to etc.

Sorry but I fully agree with the advice you were given, although I can understand your frustration as I would be well unhappy if my car was nicked.
My neighbour dialled 999 when she witnessed a car being stolen in our close. The thieves were breaking into it when she dialled 999.

She was redirected to a call centre up North; by the time they'd dealt with it the Police could have arrived and arrested the scum. As it happened, the thieves actually drove the car into the middle of our road and then stopped to scrape the windscreen, before finally having a chat and driving off in another neighbour's convertible BMW about 10 minutes later.

The police arrived 30 minutes later. How that can be described as anything other than inefficient is beyond me. So forgive me if I have little or no faith in the Thames Valley Police.
Old 17 September 2008, 11:40 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

My neighbour dialled 999 when she witnessed a car being stolen in our close. The thieves were breaking into it when she dialled 999.

She was redirected to a call centre up North; by the time they'd dealt with it the Police could have arrived and arrested the scum. As it happened, the thieves actually drove the car into the middle of our road and then stopped to scrape the windscreen, before finally having a chat and driving off in another neighbour's convertible BMW about 10 minutes later.

The police arrived 30 minutes later. How that can be described as anything other than inefficient is beyond me. So forgive me if I have little or no faith in the Thames Valley Police.
IMO the Police work in large castles divorced from the public. Police in any numbers mostly see lots of drunken and sometimes violent people, whether it be chucking out time or the local football fixture.

There's too few of them and they are generally located too far away to provide immediate assistance. In these situations, people tend to band together to provide safety in numbers. Wait, that's what leads to gang culture!

J.
Old 17 September 2008, 11:54 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

81mph in a 70mph, thats harsh
As said in a previuos post, usually they dont bother unless your doing 90+.

I got nabbed going 48 on a 40 (its a duel carrageway that leads to the motorway) so everyone usually starts to pick up speed
Could of either paid a £40 fine + 3 points, or done the speed awareness course which is a day long and costs £87.50 with no points.

I did the course, and my god was it BORING
You have to do a little drive round in a kak little car, whilst the instructor tells you how top 'give and recieve' information from other car drivers
Probably the least fun ive ever had in my life, still, at least i didnt get any points
Old 17 September 2008, 01:02 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

me and the delectable Mrs austin have had last few weekends away. easily done a good 350 miles each time.

like everyone else, I will have broken the speed limit by lots in all that driving. I judged that where I did it, motorways, sweeping A roads was safe. But that is my fault for doing it. I have been caught before- live with it.

Just how exactly is you breaking the law and being caught connected to a total different matter ?

for example, 1000's of policemen have their time wasted patrolling outside football matches, so fat men in nylon shirts can watch a bunch of big girls hoof a ball about. can you imagine the millions that costs each week. Although I do know some clubs contribute to hoarding the masses about.

so on yr hypothesis, the country would of course be safer without football for example ?

children could roam free, without a care in the world.

until some *** in an impreza et al mows them down ??
Old 17 September 2008, 07:06 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

An Impreza et al? Is that like an Impreza GL?