ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Suggestion needed: where can I hire an MX-5 in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2001, 06:10 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Please can anyone suggest where I might be able to hire a Mazda MX-5 for a weekend down in Galway. Somebody at work suggested that even Avis or Hertz might be able to help, but their booking lines were strictly by car class only, no specific models. I can't believe it can be so hard -- it's not like I'm trying to hire a supercar FFS!

TIA

-= mike =-
Old 20 January 2001, 12:19 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Depends, renting from a UK based car hire firm normally carries a charge wherever you take it.... companies of the likes of bespoke are very good and have superb rates however will load you up with immense RAC u.e cover charges when you take the car across the waters.... EIRE or N.Ire the same..

You need to be aware that, in worst case scenario..you break down and have to get home...its a pain in the RS! Having had to get a customer back from Nice in a Carrera 2 once was by no means an easy task!

Have a word with Budgets HQ (LHR-Heathrow number) in the UK who deal with the UK side of prestige car hire for Budget...or alternatively drop me a mail...I know one or two people that will help you out.
Regards
Ronnie

[This message has been edited by RonaldoH (edited 20 January 2001).]
Old 20 January 2001, 09:49 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Damn right you're not trying to hire a super car!!!

Have you tried hiring from a company like Bespoke over here and then taking the car over on the ferry?

Old 22 January 2001, 08:06 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but unfortunately we've already booked flights to Shannon, so whatever I hire has to be picked up out there. I'm starting to wonder if this will be at all possible, but given the number of Japanese import vehicles that find their way into Eire it seems possible that there is at least one speciality hire firm out there.
Old 22 January 2001, 11:01 AM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Mike, you could try a company called Beaufort in Dublin. They don't have an MX-5 (why do you want one of these) but do have these. Porsche Boxster, XK8,or a Ferrari 348tb. Ph: 003531 668 9080 or Enterprise Car Rentals in Limerick on 0035361 319200.

Cheers

Alan
Old 22 January 2001, 11:10 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Scruff, I'll give 'em a ring. Since you ask, the reasons I thought an MX-5 would make a good chariot for a long weekend on the emerald isle were:

1. Small and nimble with fun handling
2. Not massively powerful so I can have a laugh without killing myself (the Scooby is the only non-FWD car I've driven)
3. Reasonably inexpensive

A Boxter would be very nice, but I'll have to see what their hire charges are like. Thanks again for the info!

-= mike =-