Havent got a clue

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2008, 06:31 PM
G17ATH
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Havent got a clue

Hello,
As my post says i havent got a clue ..... about scoobys. Im a ford man but had enough and fancy going jap so i am. but i want only a 2door but dont no what to go for.
1st sti 555. been told very good cars but because there jap imports they dont run same petrol as we do so have to get 1 which has been converted??? is this true??? also dont no what the difference is between the version 3,4,5,6 whatever the numbers i dont no what each 1 varies from?? aprently there almost identical to the p1 but just a jap version?? are these reliable or are they money pits??

2nd is the p1 bit more money but a uk model. parenltly a safer option to some1 who hasnt owned a jap car before??

can any1 help be very much appreciated

o also on SIDC there is a P1 for sale for 6grand but there no contact number does any1 no this member or nos where i can get a contact as im no a member of SIDC (member name is tysonharrison)

thanx
Ryan
Old 11 September 2008, 06:53 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Welcome.

An sti 555 is (I will be corrected if I'm wrong) a pre face-lift classic import. Many will insist its remapped for uk fuel, if its been the uk a while it may already have been done.

P1 - lovely car. Do some searching on here. They are well known for engine re-builds but if have been done well and has history shouldnt be a problem.

There was a recent thread on here about a P1 being sold on ebay with no history.

Have a search of the forum and do some reading up. Many will say dont buy the first one you see/drive (I did though because it was mint with full history).

Its a buyers market right now.

Others will post more info.

Old 11 September 2008, 06:59 PM
richiewong
Twatful

The only 2 door versions are the official P1 and the original 16 22B's.
All the rest are Type R's which are nice a raw
Old 11 September 2008, 09:01 PM
G17ATH
Scooby Newbie

y do they need engine rebuilds????
Old 11 September 2008, 09:46 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Only if they let go.

THe P1 uses the same engine and was not remapped for UK fuel. Instead they used a couple of broquets I think.
P1's are based on the Version 5 and 6 cars(MY99~01)

You read horror stories of engines going especially the No 3 cylinder but compared to the hundreds out there it's few and far between.
Saying that a few miles of driving after I got rid of my V5 Type R the engine went and I had guages and a knocklink fitted which should have give me some warning prior

The P1 could be classed as a watered down Type R but still remains an iconic car.
Type R's have the DCCD for more tail out motoring fun
Somebody else will list the difference's no doubt, I can't be bothered right now
Old 11 September 2008, 09:52 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G17ATH
y do they need engine rebuilds????
To be honest I dont know why. I do know that over the last couple of years on here theres been lots of talk about it - and most P1's that come up for sale mention whether or not the engines been rebuilt.

Saying that theres scoobs of all versions that have had rebuilds for one reason or another, and at the same time many many that havent.

Do you know if the P1 has any history?
Old 12 September 2008, 04:08 PM
G17ATH
Scooby Newbie

yes got full history and been serviced by subaru every time. if the type r is very simalr to the p1 y they so much cheaper?? whats the difference between the 1997 v5 scoob to the others???