Sponsored by:

Is my Subaru made of cheese?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2008, 06:26 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my Subaru made of cheese?

I'm not sure what kind of cheese its made from but I'm certain it is. Just noticed yet another wee dent on the body work, this time on the bonnet. Looks like a stone chip but without breaking the paint. I got dent devils round about 8 months ago and they took every single little dent out the car and was looking perfect. Now I have 3 more dents from other peoples doors even when I park in a car park strandling the white line! And now this one on the bonnet! I'm sure Subaru's attract dents.
Old 08 September 2008, 06:28 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Not cheese, but ze "waffer" thin métal! (french accent)
Old 08 September 2008, 06:34 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I no what you mean. My car suffers from this. How much did you pay when you got the whole load of dents and dings removed?
Old 08 September 2008, 06:45 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
Not cheese, but ze "waffer" thin métal! (french accent)
Hehe, like it!

They quote on their web site £75 per panel which shocked me a bit. The boy came round to my work, took 12 or 13 dents out, some biger than others on 4 panels plus the bonnet and charged me £80 cash. Mind you, when other people at the work heard he was there they had their cars done too so maybe he gave me a discount, albiet a healthy one. Very impressed with the job he did though. Looks like I'll be calling him again!
Old 08 September 2008, 06:47 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Yeah I had mine de-dind'ed after the car had done 8 years on the road, they did all four doors and the front wings, there were loads of them.

Then bam, just a month or so later I get a 5p sized ding on the door again! I was cheesed but now just accept its all part of ownership.

Mine was £20 a panel, ended up being £120 overall.

I'll wait a while before getting it done again.
Old 08 September 2008, 07:10 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Meallbhan
Now I have 3 more dents from other peoples doors even when I park in a car park strandling the white line!
That's your problem. We go to the supermarket in the wife's battered Polo. If I see a car parked straddling the white line I park up next to it (also straddling a white line) and leaving a 6" gap
Old 08 September 2008, 07:12 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

My car's just been in for it's 1st MoT.

I happy that it passed , but p155ed off that it came back with a little dent on the front of the bonnet . I recon they pushed it closed instead of letting it drop. I don't think I can get it out as you can't get behind it.
Old 08 September 2008, 07:14 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Aye, would never take the Impreza to a public car park if I could avoid it. We use the missus' Fiesta for the running about and shopping... it's only 4 years old and dented to hell.
Old 08 September 2008, 07:52 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

That would be the best idea, having an old run around to go shopping in, but can't really afford to run 2 cars. A wee while ago I went to the co-op and to be safe I parked in the furthest away corner of the car park miles away from anyone. Guess what? Yip, when I got back to the car someone had parked next to me. You just can't win.
Old 08 September 2008, 07:53 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Mine has a number of dents. Had a a load removed a few years ago but they just spontaneously reappeared over time.
I used to have high anxiety levels regarding parking when it was pristine but now I just accept dents as a fact of life in scooby ownership. The baco foil panels contribute to its' lack of weight and hence accelleration.......Perhaps
Old 09 September 2008, 01:29 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Meallbhan
That would be the best idea, having an old run around to go shopping in, but can't really afford to run 2 cars. A wee while ago I went to the co-op and to be safe I parked in the furthest away corner of the car park miles away from anyone. Guess what? Yip, when I got back to the car someone had parked next to me. You just can't win.
Know the feeling!

Like 100,000 parking spaces, 5 cars in the lot, all parked next to you and left a bunch of dents!
Old 09 September 2008, 01:39 AM
Bikebloke
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb De-Ding

You can buy a de-ding set quite cheep aprox £40. They have little suckers and poles. Obiously not going to be any good for the more heavy dents.
Old 09 September 2008, 08:49 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

When I bought my car, the bodywork was perfect - not a dent anywhere.

3 months of taking it out to Tesco every other saturday and it had 9 dents in the doors, nearly all in the rear passenger one.

Funnily enough since changing to internet shopping and getting the weekly shop delivered, it hasnt picked up any more.
Old 09 September 2008, 09:27 AM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

I think we should all club together and pay a big heavy set man with a bat to patrol Tesco's on Monday nights...

Then you would have at least one night a week when you know if your car got dinged the dinger gets dinged back!
Old 09 September 2008, 10:03 AM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
When I bought my car, the bodywork was perfect - not a dent anywhere.

3 months of taking it out to Tesco every other saturday and it had 9 dents in the doors, nearly all in the rear passenger one.

Funnily enough since changing to internet shopping and getting the weekly shop delivered, it hasnt picked up any more.
Tesco carparks no. As said above I take my wifes KA. Kind of funny because you can't fit as much shopping in as the scoob.

There's another thread about a guy who took his car for new shocks at a dealer going around. Swirls in the paintwork etc...

I wash/ polish my car every week, never park next to other cars etc... It still get dents and chips. I have just resound myself to the fact the subaru don't paint or protect there cars very well. If I ever sold it, I'd get the bodywork done just before. You're fighting a losing battle unfortunately.
Old 09 September 2008, 10:39 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Talking about soft cheese body panels, you should have seen the state of mine after a storm of marble sized hailstones! Needless to say there wasn't a mark on next door's beemer!
Old 09 September 2008, 06:28 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
Talking about soft cheese body panels, you should have seen the state of mine after a storm of marble sized hailstones! Needless to say there wasn't a mark on next door's beemer!
God don't say that! I live up in the Highlands (crap weather as you know) and winter is coming!

Talking about carparks, what I just don't understand is the mentality of other people. I mean when I get out of a car whether it be mine or not, I make damn sure I don't hit anyone elses. If I every saw anyone denting my car, I'd dent them.
Old 09 September 2008, 06:34 PM
mike2.5subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark'sWRX
My car's just been in for it's 1st MoT.

I happy that it passed , but p155ed off that it came back with a little dent on the front of the bonnet . I recon they pushed it closed instead of letting it drop. I don't think I can get it out as you can't get behind it.
Yes they can mark, the dealer got the three, in a triangle, common dents that come from pushing the bonnet down, on mine, and they too were covered
Old 09 September 2008, 09:14 PM
Lily The Beige
Scooby Regular

I drive around Morrisons for ages looking for another scoob to park next too - safety in numbers
Old 09 September 2008, 09:22 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

my lass opened her side door and she let go and a gust of wind blew it onto a concrete lampost i have a my03 blobeye and a crease that runs along the doors the dent is there can that be fixed
Old 09 September 2008, 09:37 PM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

Is my Subaru made of cheese?

Only the big end bearings and bodywork
Old 09 September 2008, 10:00 PM
superstar1
BANNED

When i first got the wagon i parked it in my garage, got out and when i went to close the garage door i realised the car was sticking out a midgies to allow the door to close and full engage. So because i never apply the handbrake when parked in the garage i pushed the car just a couple of inches if that, to get the clearance enough for the door to close and put a palm size dent in the tailgate.
Managed to pull most of it out with the suction of my sat nav mounting bracket, but it was still noticable, so i paid a dent man 50 quid and luckily he did a spot on job and you would never tell, good as new. Got a roasting off the missus for being a dick head in the first place