Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had to buy a UK model on a £4k - £6k budget...

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2008, 05:36 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If you had to buy a UK model on a £4k - £6k budget...

Which one would you go for??

Don't get me started on imports, my idiot insurers won't touch them for some unknown reason, and being halfway through my policy, would not wish to cancel it. So as a result I'm trying to get the gen on a UK model for the above budget.

I'm actually a fan of the Bug Eye but am thinking the money would go much further with a nice classic.

Cheers guys
Old 02 September 2008, 06:14 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd go for a 2000 model, add an exhaust and get it ecutek'd.
Old 02 September 2008, 07:43 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

rb5 mate or any limited editions
Old 02 September 2008, 07:48 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The newest one you can get. You should be able to get a decent standard Bug for £6k. Newest Classic will be coming up to 8 years old. Drive both and see which you prefer...Classic feels quicker as its more raw. Bug is better built and has a bodyshell which is 200% stiffer than the classic. Either way, you'll enjoy. Bob
Old 02 September 2008, 07:52 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

All these wanted posts for classics! Think I'll have to sell mine for a mpv soon so might sell my car. Not as yet advertised. A W reg UK turbo in DBM 4 door. Cosmetically 17" P1 anthracite wheels with good rubber and a P1 rep spoiler, front lip splitter.

103k with a rebuild at 96k by API 20 months ago. Whilst I was there I was talked into some mods by David

Lightened fly, ported heads, ECUTEK 320 bhp remap, bigger turbo, walboro pump. Probably a few other things as well, I'd have to check. There's droplinks on the suspension, which is quite a firm ride, more like an sti. A scoobysport stainless, sti filter (recently changed).

There's full service history up to the rebuild and an api stamp for their service and belt change. After that I've had 2 services, last May an oil change with both diff oil changed. Last serviced a month ago, oil and filter change. No docs as an engineer from my work did it. I think I've got all the old MOTs, MOT'd around a month or so ago, taxed 'til oct (£185) not included in the emissions tax banding.

Clutch seems fine, no slipping or worn syncros. Brakes changed last year front discs and pads and rear pads. There shouldn't be much wear.

Always run on Optimax/Tescos 99 RON. I've regularly posted on here I get quite high MPG (270-300 a tank) due to my slowish driving and 50 mph restricted motorway commute (M1 widening).

Bad points. Obviously it's 8 years old now. Door dinks on both sides from car parks, a little stone chipping on the front as on all Imprezas and aircon needs regassing. Light curbing on 2 wheels.

My insurance is £650 pa with mods declared through A-plan.

All in all quite a nice car. Mechanically superb but would need a little tidying to be body mint. That side of things has never really bothered me TBH. I'd be more worried buying a classic without a rebuilds by one of the most trusted garages about.

When I do sell I'll get Zen to remap it and get a print out.
Old 03 September 2008, 09:56 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers guys!

200% would make a hell of a difference! Will deffo need to drive both in that case. Funny thing is, I always said if I ever bought a Scooby, it'd not be a classic. B now, in these days of cars getting heavier and heavier, the fact the classics are smaller and lighter really appeals.

Haven't decided which way to go yet and won't be buying til Jan anyway, so just doing my research currently. Considering a few cars but the Scooby is definitely a contender.

What kind of mpg do circa MY00 classics return, and also what do Bug Eyes return? It's not a huge concern, but I do like to know!
Old 03 September 2008, 10:05 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I went from a MY02 bugeye WRX to a MY03STI to a MY99 RB5 [current]

The bugeye was a mistake from day 1 although reliable quick motoring but the looks and lack of punch made me sell up within 6 months.

The STI was a beast but my current RB5 will match it on outright acceleration.
The handling on the classic isn't the best but with uprated rear arb and a set of springs [£250] it should be transformed.

Go for a low mileage classic and you won't be dissapointed.
Old 03 September 2008, 11:05 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

you can have mine for 3500 mate!!
Old 03 September 2008, 11:19 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

Unless your budget would stretch to a bugeye STI (you are probably a little under), maybe a RB5 Prodrive would be a good choice?
Old 03 September 2008, 11:44 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

as above, drive both & see what you think. just be aware that anything registered after March 01 will cost an arm & a leg in tax.

My advice would be to get a Classic, preferably an RB5 with PPP.

happy hunting
Old 03 September 2008, 11:47 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

RB5 or look for a Sonic Blue 99/00

This would be an EU import - probably from Dublin but its classed as UK for insurance etc. Actually very rare in mainland UK. I'm 99% sure mine was the only one at Japfest a few years ago.