ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What a great day

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2008, 02:26 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GC8
Tens of thousands of people? There were 1,100 vehicles and with the exception of a few short stretches where there was brief mild congestion in the outer lanes, only the nearside lane was jammed.

Fail.
Further back the whole motorway was jammed - everyone was reacting to the queue in slow lane by braking in the other lanes as well - what with trucks/non scoobs trying to move across to the middle lane as well, it all came to a stop for ages.
Old 01 September 2008, 04:56 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Scooby
I almost missed the turning mentioned. Saw people/police woman on the bridge waving, so I flashed my lights and tooted my horn back. Only dawned on me at the last second they were pointing not waving. Bit of hard braking and hanging on for dear life I just made the slip-road. Needed someone at the bottom by the roadside really.
I wasnt so lucky
Old 01 September 2008, 07:11 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I wasnt so lucky
ha ha me 2. 20 min later around 30 of us ended back at the same round about great day thanks for all the pople that made it happen and all the guys that we joined up with to travel up (MK convoy) made it a amazing day

thank you
Old 01 September 2008, 07:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
Further back the whole motorway was jammed - everyone was reacting to the queue in slow lane by braking in the other lanes as well - what with trucks/non scoobs trying to move across to the middle lane as well, it all came to a stop for ages.
Not the case for us. The whole motorway was only slow and stop-start for the first ten minutes. After that only the first lane was standing, with the outer two lanes moving quickly (with normal traffic and the ******* who drove down the outside and pushed in at the head of the queue).

We were in the 'N', so I had presumed that this would be typical for everyone. A friend who was in the first 'C' only had to queue approaching the off ramp.
Old 01 September 2008, 07:55 PM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

It was a great day and one my son and i will remember for the rest of our lives.

Came up with the essex scoobs from thurrock.2 TUNNELSon the m25!!!!!the noise was amazing!.

Prodrive factory was an eye opener.
Getting from Banbury to Warwick was interesting.
Ended up in warwick town centre with about 10 others and then in a garden centre with the same fellas.
The good bits far outweighed the bad bits. It was a huge event and far surpassed the organisers expectations,i think.
They did a great job and bought us all together for a once in a life time experience and to commerate the life of a truly great man and driver.
They deserve a great big thank you i reckon. just my opinion.
Old 01 September 2008, 08:26 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

brill day i agree with others on here though what makes some people think their more important than the rest and bomb off to push in further up those who did this should have remebered what the event was about and read the rules that were sent out to all rant over lol
Old 01 September 2008, 09:06 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
phil i was one of the first registered and never received any emails at all ??!!

spoke to a few people who never got any either.........
Update received tonight

The dust hasn't even settled yet, but we feel we need to make some sort of quick update following this weekend's mammoth event.

Firstly, many thanks to all those who took part. From the feedback we're getting it was an event you'll never forget (and hopefully not just for queuing on the M40!) Thank you for abiding by our rules - that is very much appreciated and made the weekend, particularly Saturday so much easier to manage. You entered into the spirit of the event as we intended. We even got a phone call from one of the police forces who's region we passed through on Saturday complimenting us on our driving standards. Thank you also for staggering your arrival at Banbury on Sunday. We had visions of 1000+ cars all turning up at bang on 10am, but you took our advice to arrive between 8and 10 and in doing so caused no problems to other road users in Banbury and none of you were delayed in getting parked up.

To the public who turned out on almost every flyover from Lanark to Banbury, the crowd awaiting us at Charnock Richards and those who supported us from Banbury to Warwick with banners, flags (and even an inflatable Subaru!) , on behalf of EVERYONE who took part

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT. YOU ARE AWESOME
The various Subaru forums are buzzing with talk of the support we got from the public. It was way beyond what we expected and made the event extra special, although even more emotional than it already was. Again, our humble thanks.

To Strathclyde Police, Thames Valley Police and Warwickshire Police - many, many thanks for your support. You have all been great and we could not have done it without you. To Dumfries & Galloway Police we say boo, hiss for being the ONLY force on the route to put out a scamera van.

Blame is being apportioned on the Police for the traffic issues at Junction 15 of the M40 and for some participants getting lost due to lack of signage. The Police are absolutely not to blame for this. This falls under the remit of the Highways Agency who declined, despite many requests for help, to assist with this. They would not allow us to put up proper signage, would not put up signage themselves and assured us the Roundabout at Junction 15 coped with more traffic than we were going to have every rush hour every day. Please don't blame the Police as they have been fantastic with their support.

Apologies to those who got lost. As soon as we realised what was going on we sent Marshals out to the relevant junctions. They stood there in the rain for several hours to see as many as possible got to Warwick without any problems whilst others were out roaming and looking for stragglers to guide them in. Thanks to those who helped out - including the spectators who stepped in to help.

We also apologise for the Raffle not being drawn at Warwick. It was obvious people were keen to get home and the weather was worsening fast. We'll announce the winners shortly and advise how to claim your prize and also the auction of the remaining items.

For those who haven't yet seen the photo of the World Record-breaking mosaic which appeared in some of today's papers:

http://www.mcrae-gathering.co.uk/ima...e_overhead.jpg

We also found this rather amusing (apologies to Carlsberg for the blatant breach of copyright)

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...antsUK/cb1.jpg

Finally, as mentioned previously, we want your photos and feedback! The McRae Gathering was a strictly unique and one-off event. It will NOT, despite requests, EVER happen again. The long-term plan is to turn this website into a permanent record of our tribute to a great man with the best of your photos and comments along with the fantastic feedback we've received from the general public who witnessed us - either on bridges or people who just happened to see us on our travels and felt the need to comment. We'll provide details on how to send photos in shortly, but we would like your comments and stories from the event - whether you did the whole thing or just Sunday. Positive comments would be preferred as we all know about the J15 and signage problems and there is nothing we can do about that now. you can submit your feedback via the "Contact Us" link to the left.

There will be more from us soon once we have time to draw breath, but it was important we got an update out as soon as possible after the event

McRae Gathering Team
Old 01 September 2008, 10:06 PM
Guv
Scooby Regular

Maybe we should try the 2nd record again?...............One day?
Old 01 September 2008, 10:29 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Guv 'Spec C' Dhillon
Maybe we should try the 2nd record again?...............One day?
I'm free this Thursday, how about the M25 at about 8.30ish?
Old 01 September 2008, 10:36 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i was actually given a copy of the 13 page "thingy" today

first time i had ever seen it, i did not even know i was "supposed" to stay until 5pm for the spelling of the name and such

never saw any black and yellow signs, never saw any rides available on a test stage?

were they all cancelled?
Old 01 September 2008, 10:45 PM
scooby0809
Scooby Regular

jesus chill out!cant believe your still crying anyway thanks for a great day will never be forgotten
Old 01 September 2008, 10:56 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by scooby0809
jesus chill out!cant believe your still crying anyway thanks for a great day will never be forgotten
Well said
Old 01 September 2008, 10:56 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

To all the organisers involved, a massive thanks for the days, had a great day yesterday despite the weather and the queues which were only to be expected under the circumstances, proud to be a part of it all.

No issues whatsoever in my opinion re the communication etc, hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing.....
Old 02 September 2008, 12:15 AM
Guv
Scooby Regular

i was actually given a copy of the 13 page "thingy" today

first time i had ever seen it, i did not even know i was "supposed" to stay until 5pm for the spelling of the name and such

never saw any black and yellow signs, never saw any rides available on a test stage?

were they all cancelled?
Forgot mine at home on Sunday doh!!!!!!!!!

I saw one black and yellow sign, but there were marshalls at all the junction once you got off the A34, almost missed the turning thou, luckily a WPC stuck her arm out at just in the nick of time to put me right

One of our crew went for a Ride, they were right at the bottom of the runway past the 'C' you had to go into the portacabin behind the food stand it was £10, a bloke would take you down in a Forrester and then 2 x laps in a GB270 or a Hatchback STI. I think they mite not off put a sign up on purpose as the queue would of probably been longer than the one for the food...

Hope that clears that up

In all fairness I think people experiences were down to pot luck really. I think the organisers have done an amazing job, we did break a World record at the end of the day. As the Lady said "WE ARE JUST NORMAL PEOPLE", so hats off to them.

They have done something we are all going to remember later on in life and something we will all talk about when we bump into each other in years to come at meets and events up and down the country and when we spot each others cars.

I think with the 2nd World record maybe we should of let 550 - 600 cars out first, so the record got broken then let 100 at a time after that, Don't think that anyone expected that the track was not going to be long enough but then again no one probably tried it before with that many cars but there you go,(That word Hindsight again!!)

By the way I was in the White Blobeye Spec C who done the U TURN and drove the wrong way around the track back to the exit when the cars all first came to a stop, think I was one of the first

We were on the walkie talkie's and I spoke to one our guys who was in the flag as I could see it when we stopped and we hadn't moved,I had drove around from the back of the 'O' and I figured this is just not going happen and left before things got crazy

Great Day Guys

Thx

Guv MSOC

P.S SATNAV are crap I have never used them all ways use a map they are only good for one thing and one thing ONLY!!............for telling were all the speed cameras are
Old 02 September 2008, 12:19 AM
Guv
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gilesdwrc
I'm free this Thursday, how about the M25 at about 8.30ish?
No worries mate, I'm at Junction 15 shall we start there
Old 02 September 2008, 12:39 AM
sassybi@tch
Scooby Regular

to those that are moaning about the weekend have you forgotten what this weekend was really for ?????? there is always abit of bad with the good but so what i no i enjoyed myself made some really nice new buddies and i helped in a very small way to raise money for his charitys so quit moaning just think of what good all those people have done over those 2 days and think how his family and freinds feel knowing we did this for their loved ones
Old 02 September 2008, 06:57 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sassybi@tch
to those that are moaning about the weekend have you forgotten what this weekend was really for ?????? there is always abit of bad with the good but so what i no i enjoyed myself made some really nice new buddies and i helped in a very small way to raise money for his charitys so quit moaning just think of what good all those people have done over those 2 days and think how his family and freinds feel knowing we did this for their loved ones

No-one is moaning, just people making some observations
Old 02 September 2008, 07:18 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

(MK convoy) made it a amazing day, It certainlty did, One i will never forget
Cheers
Colin
Old 02 September 2008, 09:41 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sassybi@tch

i hope with a post like that, you did the proper convoy and never just turned up on the day to have a mooch about...............

and that goes to everybody else that is complaining about people "crying"

its all right for the southern lot who only lived 5 mins from the sites, when you have sat in your car for hours and hours on end and you then get forced to sit in your car for hours and hours more by bad planning, you have every single right in the world to "cry" about it IMO

i had a cracking weekend up until the point where the marshalls blocked us in (and let a joining junction have right of way?) and let nearly every single car out from prodrive out before us, even after we tried to do the right thing and get away early to fuel up and keep away from the mess, that is a major flaw, and i have every right in the world to "cry" about it.

you cant ask for feedback and then complain when its not all smelling of roses, get a ****en grip

if i had of know that was going to happen, i would have stayed away

Last edited by StickyMicky; 02 September 2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02 September 2008, 11:15 AM
Devils.Advocate
Scooby Regular

Moan Moan Moan

Sticky perhaps you shouldn't have come

But as you did get a grip and get a life

As for us southerners I drove over 750 miles this weekend spent shed loads on fuel and paid for a hotel

I am moaning ????

Well yes I am and its about people like you ...................****
Old 02 September 2008, 11:55 AM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

I did the drive down from Lanark and was one of the last cars to leave Banbury on the Sunday and was near the back of a 5 mile queue for the slip road on the M40 and didn't get out of Warick until after 7pm. I got home in Edinburgh after 1am on Monday morning.

I wouldn't have changed anything about it. The delays, the waiting as well as the amazing sights, the world record etc... all comes together to make the whole weekend unforgettable. An awesome event that I will always remember.

For those having a right bitch about it all I can do is shake my head in quiet confusion at you.
Old 02 September 2008, 11:58 AM
Devils.Advocate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sKunk
For those having a right bitch about it all I can do is shake my head in quiet confusion at you.
Hip Hip Horray
Old 02 September 2008, 12:11 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devils.Advocate

I am moaning ????

Well yes I am and its about people like you ...................****
did you get let out in front of me at prodrive when i tried to leave early ?

yes you probably did?

well then why would you be personally "moaning" ?

maybe you should troll another thread and leave this one to people who would like to post about and query issues
Old 02 September 2008, 12:24 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

We were held up in and out of Warwick, more than I had hoped for and it's a pain when you don't know the reason why, but it's to be expected on an event of this incredible scale run by dedicated amateurs (no offence intended ).

I am happy to have been there and would gladly do it all again for the sheer buzz of being part of a little piece of history, surrounded by hordes of like minded Scooby nuts, and all there to show respect for a great sportsman.

Standing in the middle of fifteen lanes of Scoobies stretching left and right as far as you could see - unforgettable.
Old 02 September 2008, 12:26 PM
Devils.Advocate
Scooby Regular

did you get let out in front of me at prodrive when i tried to leave early ?
Nope I stayed and helped clear up didn't leave until gone 7.30

yes you probably did?
See answer above

well then why would you be personally "moaning" ?
Because your moaning

maybe you should troll another thread and leave this one to people who would like to post about and query issues
PMSL Being called a Troll by one of Scoobynets leading Trolls PRAISE INDEED
Old 02 September 2008, 01:29 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Smile

We were going Northbound on the M40 on Saturday at around 5pm (towing the caravan back from our holiday in Dorset)

It was an impressive sight as hundreds of you ventured South mainly in single file and with dipped headlights. There were people on every bridge waving as you went by.

None of you were driving other than exemplary and were causing no traffic problems - You guys did yourselves proud as well as Colin and his family.

Well done all

TONY
Old 02 September 2008, 01:33 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

There are some unhappy people on here. Give it a rest. The day was difficult to pull together and everyone did really well. Don't go to the next one if you are so sensitive! Be proud to have been involved in something that few if any other car enthusiasts of other marques could achieve. The whole thing from start to finish was a terrific tribute to a great driver.
Old 02 September 2008, 01:46 PM
The<>Stig
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by badbaz
There are some unhappy people on here. Give it a rest. The day was difficult to pull together and everyone did really well. Don't go to the next one if you are so sensitive! Be proud to have been involved in something that few if any other car enthusiasts of other marques could achieve. The whole thing from start to finish was a terrific tribute to a great driver.
Amen
Old 02 September 2008, 01:55 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badbaz
Don't go to the next one if you are so sensitive! .
There wont be another one, so moany micky is okay
Old 02 September 2008, 01:58 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

to much "backslapin bumboy bonnanzas" going on in here, so i`m offski

ps. if you never got away from banbury until 7.30pm then i am impressed to hell with your clean up womble skills, if on the other hand you meant you never got out from warrick until 7.30 then i suggest you read my above posts properly and stop trying to troll something you don't seam to have understood

enough said

Last edited by StickyMicky; 02 September 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: What a great day