ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What a great day (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/709375-what-a-great-day.html)

millzy555 31 August 2008 09:48 PM

What a great day

Brilliant day but my left leg / foot is killing me:eek2:

H12MRO 31 August 2008 09:49 PM

Dont rub it in

Scoob99 31 August 2008 09:53 PM

My right leg is bad too, what a great day:D Can't wait too see the helicopter shot of the cars lined up.
Cheers
Colin

powerwrx 31 August 2008 09:56 PM

ditto, looking forward to the arial shots, although my legs are fine :)

Blue by You 31 August 2008 10:04 PM

Yeah a great day.
Congratulations to the organising committee for successfully putting such a memorable event together. Thanks for all your hard work.
Well done guys :notworthy

jho! 31 August 2008 10:28 PM

:luxhello: The day was amazing seeing all those people stood in in the rain on every bridge waving made feel proud to own a Subaru. No other owners of other makes of cars would have been able to do what was done this weekend. As one of the orginisers said "it could only be bettered if the helicopter crash last September had never happened" It is a day that will remain with me for a very long time, I wish to thank everyone who orginised it and other 1299 scoobies that made the ground shake!!!:notworthy

rallymad_homer 31 August 2008 10:36 PM

Absolutely awesome !! Being led to the M74 by Jimmy was amzing, and seeing him wave to every car as it joined the motorway gave me goose bumps. As did seeing those bridges...All the banners and flags that people were waving made it a once in a lifetime experience. I too would like to thank all the organisers and other scoobs who made it all possible !!!

This weekend was for you Colin & Jonny !!! Gone, but most definately not forgotten. Hope we did you both proud..... R.I.P

Homer

Cocker 31 August 2008 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by millzy555 (Post 8101580)
Brilliant day but my left leg / foot is killing me:eek2:

How comes you in so early - i only got in 15 mins ago - 5 hour trip home kin M25!!!!

chrisUK300 31 August 2008 11:56 PM

Was a brilliant day even if the weather tried its best to spoil it. A truly brilliant tribute. Gutted I couldnt do the convoy on Saturday though

millzy555 01 September 2008 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cocker (Post 8101716)
How comes you in so early - i only got in 15 mins ago - 5 hour trip home kin M25!!!!

went down the m1 mate:thumb: then back through stevenage. Thought we took the long route but does 'nt sound like it now:eek2:

dantastic 01 September 2008 07:39 AM

A day to remeber indeed, proud to have been a part of it.:D

StickyMicky 01 September 2008 08:02 AM

enjoyed the convoy down, after that it went tits up bigstyle for us

we tried to leave prodrive early to NOT get caught up in the massive gridlock, and made our way to the exit, only to have a "hurley from lost" replica block us in with his car to prevent us from leaving :mad:

apparently he was told to do this by somebody, he blocked the road so that traffic joining the road from the left now had right of way, which is wrong.

a few people had some words with him, it meant that while we were trying to not get stuck in the mess by planning ahead (plus i was desperate for fuel) he ended up blocking us until 90% of the people had fooken left prodrive :mad:

this ****ed us up bigstyle, by the time we got out, the main convoy was long gone, i did not know where to go, where to get fuel, and what the hell was going on.

consider that at about 11.30 we tried to leave early, we did not get to warrick until about 2.30/3pm (cant remember the exact times to busy worrying about fuel)

the parade lap at warrick was not so good either, it was an impossible task that was never going to work, my mate did a full lap, came back around and came alongside to ask how many laps i had done, only i had moved about 10 meters max :mad:

to many ****tards getting out, going for walks and taking photos etc etc.

i managed to get myself over to the left hand side (few mates could not) and me and the newcastle lads said we would all meet up at the first services on the m1

one of them did not get out from warrick until 7.05 because he could not get across to the left side :eek:

i managed to get back to newcastle for 11.30pm, only i had to go straight to work to do the weekends takings and figures :rolleyes:

i also never knew about this 13 page pdf file thing that people were talking about?

IMO the whole thing should have maybe been held at warrick from the start?
might have saved a massive amount of hassle the convoy from prodrive to warrick was hell!

Phil 01 September 2008 08:16 AM

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

As for the

i also never knew about this 13 page pdf file thing that people were talking about?
Registered people were advised people of this in the last few notification emails and available on the website

wiley 01 September 2008 08:21 AM

glad you all had fun, i was stuck at work:mad:
wiley

StickyMicky 01 September 2008 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by phil_stephens (Post 8102049)
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

As for the

Registered people were advised people of this in the last few notification emails and available on the website

phil i was one of the first registered and never received any emails at all ??!!

spoke to a few people who never got any either.........

Jamo 01 September 2008 08:55 AM

me either, if I hadnt found it on midlands scoobies I wouldnt have ever seen it.

SwissTony 01 September 2008 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 8102086)
phil i was one of the first registered and never received any emails at all ??!!

spoke to a few people who never got any either.........

Luckily phil posted it in general or else I wouldnt have seen the pdf either.

Phil 01 September 2008 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 8102110)
Luckily phil posted it in general or else I wouldnt have seen the pdf either.

Post 85 ;)

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ncement-3.html

Phil

N_Scooby 01 September 2008 10:01 AM

Did you not pass a Shell garage on the way? It was about 5 miles ish before the track. I filled up and took a pee. Passed it on the way back about 7.15 ish and it was rammed with scoobs!!

N_Scooby 01 September 2008 10:20 AM

Should also have said it was the best day ever. I tried to explain to people at work about it but just can convey the sheer size of it with words. On the Saturday, Dorset Scoobys parked 4 cars sideways-on on the bridge just before Warwick services on the M40 and just waved and waved until our arms hurt. 99% of the cars waved, beeped and flashed lights back. Fantastic atmosphere!!!!

Steve_PPP 01 September 2008 10:21 AM

awesome day, thanks to the organisers. event wasn't without problems, but trying to manage the movement of 1300 cars from one place to another is never going to be easy. its only when all the cars were parked up on the runway at Warwick that you get any idea of what that many cars even looks light - parked up for half a mile, 10 rows wide!

Didn't get to Warwick until nearly 3, didn't get out of Banbury until just after 1 - was anyone else in car park B that seemed to be the last to get let out?

wolfie28 01 September 2008 10:28 AM

What happened to the parade laps :confused:. Me and all the cars in front and behind me (as far as I could see) were marshalled straight out of the site after the auction :wonder:.

StickyMicky 01 September 2008 10:34 AM

some cars actually managed to do 1 full lap, the rest just had a big fight to get out.......

SwissTony 01 September 2008 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by wolfie28 (Post 8102257)
What happened to the parade laps :confused:. Me and all the cars in front and behind me (as far as I could see) were marshalled straight out of the site after the auction :wonder:.

The parade lap, according to the McRae Gathering PDF was meant to start at 4 p.m giving the organisers enough time to complete the lap before the closing time of the track at 4.30 p.m.
It seems that one thing and another conspired to make this impossible and TBH, that amount of scoobs, a single lane procession and the rain, meant it was highly unlikely.

I heard from a friend as I was stuck in traffic on the circuit that it had been abandoned and so turned around and headed back to the gate. Others who were stuck further down the track were not so lucky. I did try and stop and inform as many people as possible, but the numbers meant it was impossible.

A shame as it would have been good to attempt the parade.

GC8 01 September 2008 10:56 AM

We were in the 'N', but the traffic worked for us on the way out and we got out of the gate ahead of some people who were in the first 'C'...

SwissTony 01 September 2008 11:06 AM

Well we had quiet a day. A combination of laughter :lol1: and pure frustration :mad:

Getting into Prodrive was easy and we slotted into a great convoy from Bicester. Parked up right next to the workshops (where the important scoobs were kept :smug: )
But what a different story on the way out :eek:
waited and waited for ages, left at 12:30 and didnt arrive at warwick until gone past 2:30 p.m !! It wasnt all the fault of the traffic as we *ahem* got lost :D

Came off the M40 okay after sitting there in what must have been the longest single marquee traffic jam ever, headed down the road to the circuit but unfortunately we were behind Mr complete numpty who didnt know the way and when it was time to exit, he carried straight on. Too late to see the copper on the bridge waving us to leave the sliproad..duh !! :brickwall

So had to hoon it to the next junction, come back around and then try and find some scoobs. Got completely lost and ended up following signs to a pumpkin farm :lol1: :lol1:

But we made it. Felt sorry for all the cars still coming in, as some were still arriving at 5 p.m !!

rob4620 01 September 2008 12:55 PM

It was an impressive sight as I headed up the M40 as I didn't know it was on what was not impressive was trying to get back home to leamington from banbury stuck in traffic, 15 minute journey took 2+ hours, anything like this done again needs some proper organisation and planning considering the public who are not involved as well as the subaru drivers, I'm sure the 10's of thousands of other people stuck in the giant tailback on the M40 would agree with me.

GC8 01 September 2008 01:03 PM

Tens of thousands of people? There were 1,100 vehicles and with the exception of a few short stretches where there was brief mild congestion in the outer lanes, only the nearside lane was jammed.

Fail.

rob4620 01 September 2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8102618)
Tens of thousands of people? There were 1,100 vehicles and with the exception of a few short stretches where there was brief mild congestion in the outer lanes, only the nearside lane was jammed.

Fail.

Yeah the que back down the M40 was absolutley huge, stretched for miles and across all lanes I sat totaly still for 45 minutes then crawled at a couple of mph for the rest of the journey, I didn't imagine it. My house to Banbury is a 30 minute round trip, I left at 12 and got home at 3.30pm only stopping for 5 mins to pick something up. I think it's a great thing you all did but could have done with a bit more thought about the impact on the normal public just trying to get from A to B and organising more with that in mind.

I'm not having a moan it's just an observation, call it contructive criticism. I would have probably taken part had my car been working/I had known about it and I would have been one of the ones doing the pissing off rather than being one of the pissed off ones!:D

N_Scooby 01 September 2008 01:37 PM

I almost missed the turning mentioned. Saw people/police woman on the bridge waving, so I flashed my lights and tooted my horn back. Only dawned on me at the last second they were pointing not waving. Bit of hard braking and hanging on for dear life I just made the slip-road. Needed someone at the bottom by the roadside really.