Sponsored by:

Honda NSX?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2001, 12:33 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Cool idea, but I think that most used ones stay in the Honda dealer network so prices will probably be artificially inflated. IMHO you may be best phoning a few Porsche / Ferrari dealers as they may well get them as trade-ins ... might be your best bet for a bargain.

Servicing costs, no idea, but it's a Honda so it's got to be cheaper than anything else at that level, and not much is likely to break / fall off
Old 19 January 2001, 12:33 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Well, unfortuanately (or fotuanately), the NSX holds its value extremely well, so it may be a battle to find an example in the £25000 price range.
It means you will look at an early 90's /late 80's model, but definitely not above a '94.
Servicing is always a big plus with any Honda performance car, so expect prices to be comparitively low for vehicals in this class. This is the same for running costs, it gets aroung 23 MPG overall, so pretty good really.
There is an overhall coming this year, purely cosmetic, a few adjustments here and there, but it is being marketed as virtually a new model, so this should see used prices drop a little, but not much.
There are so few around, and they are damn nice cars, if you do manage to find a good example, go for it. I for one will be extremely jealous.
Check out the NSX forum at sperhonda.org, Im not sure, but there may be a few UK owners. They may have more detailed info for you.
Gray

Old 19 January 2001, 12:38 AM
Jules
Scooby Regular

EVO mag did a buying guide recently.
If you want I can dig it out for you, photocopy it & stick it in the post - let me know !

Jules
Old 19 January 2001, 12:46 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the info so far, I've seen a few 91's around £25 which is what got me interested.
sperhonda.org? Whats missing there - is there more?
Jules, buyers guide no real good for me, in the end I'll get someone to look at the car anyway as I know nothing about car mechanicals unfortuneately, thanks for the offer though
Cheers
Chuck
Old 19 January 2001, 12:50 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Okay, its www that should go before there, oh, and of course, I managed to make myself look intelligent by mis-spelling it, its superhonda.org, check it out, loads of info.
I wasnt sure if we could put URL's in, some posting boards dont let you.
Old 19 January 2001, 12:54 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One issue with them is that they eat tyres apparently something to do with the way the suspension is set up. Reckon on 5K out of a set of NSX specific Bridgestones. I've seen one that has 90K on the clock and looked like new......!

Jeff
Old 19 January 2001, 11:52 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm thinking about a new toy. Does anyone know what £25k buys in NSX terms? Plus any info on servicing/cost of ownership etc?
Please drop me a line @ chuckster@22b.com .
Cheers, sorry about the lack of scoob in the post..ummm I'm still not selling mine!
Regards
Chuck

Trending Topics

Old 19 January 2001, 01:00 PM
Zero Sport
Scooby Regular

The best NSX is Type S Zero. Build for racing. Faster than R34 GTR, EVO or Impreza etc without any modification. Top speed is 175 MPH.

Gray Import only, if you can find one.

Zero Zero
Old 19 January 2001, 01:13 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the Type S Zero, but that will cost a bit, but if you're prepred to go Grey Import, that'll open up a lot of new doors.
Sorry, I was thinking of only the official ones, but I would agree with Zero Sport, for this type of vehical, Grey is a good option, must be loads of very well spec'd variants in Jap.
I spewl so bad, another edit

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 19 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 19 January 2001).]
Old 19 January 2001, 01:25 PM
Zero Sport
Scooby Regular

additional Informantion for NSX

If you want to go for Gray Import NSX.

There are three NSX you can choose.

1. NSX - as same as U.K spec
2. NSX Type S - every things are same as U.K spec beside Racing engine : More power!
3. NSX Type S Zero - Every things are build full racing and also more light weight!!
Old 19 January 2001, 01:30 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Re the eating of the tyres, very true, but can be easily fixed by adjudting the rear geometry. Takes it from about 4-5000 miles a set of rears to more than double that.
A friends father has a couple of NSX's one very early one and a later one, has done the mod on both, and as a bonus (for some) makes the car a bit more tail happy.

All that is done IIRC is going from a couple of degrees of toe in at the rear to zero. I can put you in touch if you'd like.
Old 19 January 2001, 02:42 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi,

Just a couple i've spotted in AutoTrader (www.autotrader.co.uk):

93 K HONDA NSX COUPE, Polar silver, full black leather sports seats, air con, electric seats, UK supplied & serviced, stunning 19 inch alloys £23995

1990 HONDA NSX 3.0, Black, 10000 miles, 2 Door, ABS, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, Automatic, Central Locking, Cruise Control, Electric Drivers Seat, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Immobiliser, Leather, PowerSteering, Stereo, Tinted Glass, Traction Control. £22495

Sounds tempting!

Chris
Old 19 January 2001, 02:57 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I did exactly the same search...

I'd be very tempted, in fact I did the same search a number of months ago. The major downside must be the fact that its 10 years old now

Mark
Old 19 January 2001, 03:07 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Dont you think that the NSX at £23995 may have nearer 100000 miles rather than 10000. Besides being 10 years old, you wont find an NSX with that mileage for less than circa £30K...... Devalutaion of these cars is nearly as slow as a 911.
Old 19 January 2001, 03:28 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

10 000 or 100 000 ?

I wouldn't rule out 10 000. Most of these cars will have been used as second cars I would have thought.

I initially thought it must have meant 100 000 ~ but I now have doubts.

Mark.
Old 19 January 2001, 03:32 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Maybe - but 1990 - wouldnt that be an import car?? Thought they arrived officially in the Uk '91 or '92 ?
Old 19 January 2001, 03:37 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Question

Did the UK ever offically get black coloured NSXs (like the one advertised above)?

I thought that black NSXs were never offically brought into the UK.
Old 19 January 2001, 03:53 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Gastro ~ good point.

I have an original "Autocar" test report which I've kept along other issues with car tests of interest.

I'll try and have a look this weekend.

Cheers

Mark
Old 19 January 2001, 03:55 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cman.

Good car, they rock!
Old 19 January 2001, 06:53 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Don't be too scared of high milages, one of the older of my friends NSX's has done well over 80,000 miles, and apparantly is still as god as new.

Servicing cost wise, I believe the quote my friend gave me was "same as a Civic, but 2 more spark plugs"

Also nothing has gone wrong with either one the whole time they have been owned, but you do have to find a good garage, not all Honda dealers can service them.

My friend did have an issue with one dealer after some new pads were fitted. Mechanic told him "I've bedded the new pads in"

Friend "how? They take a 100 miles or so?"

Mech "Nah a couple of Emergency stops and they are fine"

Friend "I'd like to see your manager"

......1 hour later......

Friend "Thanks for the new pads and discs free of charge, I'll never be coming to this dealer again"

Moral of the story, find out how many NSX's the garage looks after, and have a look at the mechanic that is trained on them, the issues are a bit different to the Scoob, as Subaru dealers sell a lot of turbos, so they are nothing special to the mechanics. With Honda most are stuck working on Civics all day so the oppurtunity to have a blast in the NSX can be too much to resist.
Old 19 January 2001, 08:49 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Red face

mmmm...........
Whats all the fuss about with the NSX...... Good car, good handling, but a 10 year old one would need a total rehash of the suspension/springs to get it 'sharp' again...Plus while a new NSX maybe a better handling car than a scooby, acceleration etc are no more than on-par with a standard 'turbo'. A 10 year old one would almost certainly be down on power by then anyhow. Added to that relatively high maintenance costs (at that age) --> I'm bemused !!