Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is so great about Hybrid intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2008, 03:04 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is so great about Hybrid intercoolers?

Need to get a front mount and have been looking at what to get.

Now everyone on here are selling these Hybrid coolers for about £285 cheapest i think but what are so much better about them compared to the Ebay (Subaru Impreza WRX STI RA Front Mount Intercooler Kit on eBay, also Engine Tuning Parts, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 17-Aug-08 15:45:19 BST)) £200 coolers?

Please let me know im happy to spend more if there is something in it but if not more money left in my pocket the better!
Old 09 August 2008, 04:11 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

I'm just fitting one care of Harvey - except the rain just drove me inside

I bought it because loads of people on here seem to praise them, Harvey does a great service and they are a quaility product. There may be cheaper products as good but I did not want the risk of finding out.
Old 09 August 2008, 04:16 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

It's down to the design of the cores, They might look the same but are different inside.

Plus the quality of welding, I'm sure if you looked inside the cheap pipes you would see the quality of the welds (Not great) Most of the cheap ones don't come with the T-Bar clamps (The one in the link does).

Me and onther local lad had FMIC fitted around the same time, his was an Autobahn one and mine was a hybrid. Both UK cars

He had a Vf34, Upgraded FPR, an upgrade fuel pump, using a Apexi AVRC boost controler and an ecutek remap, he managed 313 on powerstation rollers.

Mine with a VF28, standard injectors, standard fuel pump, standard FRP, I managed to get 317 out of mine,

He has since chaged to a hybrid FMIC
Old 09 August 2008, 04:39 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
It's down to the design of the cores, They might look the same but are different inside.

Plus the quality of welding, I'm sure if you looked inside the cheap pipes you would see the quality of the welds (Not great) Most of the cheap ones don't come with the T-Bar clamps (The one in the link does).

Me and onther local lad had FMIC fitted around the same time, his was an Autobahn one and mine was a hybrid. Both UK cars

He had a Vf34, Upgraded FPR, an upgrade fuel pump, using a Apexi AVRC boost controler and an ecutek remap, he managed 313 on powerstation rollers.

Mine with a VF28, standard injectors, standard fuel pump, standard FRP, I managed to get 317 out of mine,

He must of spent about £100 less then you on the cooler and got 4 less bhp, and he is changing it because of that? I think it must be something else wrong with his car don't you?

Great info guys but still not convinced? As if it is 4bhp £100 is not worth spending

Anymore info?
Old 09 August 2008, 04:41 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Going 4 400bhp
He must of spent about £100 less then you on the cooler and got 4 less bhp, and he is changing it because of that? I think it must be something else wrong with his car don't you?

Great info guys but still not convinced? As if it is 4bhp £100 is not worth spending

Anymore info?
Not quite, they have different turbos.
Old 09 August 2008, 04:43 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

There have been back to back tests and comparisons done with the cheap Ebay items and the Hybrids, I cant remember any facts or figures, but the hybrid always comes out on top.

Also I would rather pay the extra £100 for peace of mind that you have a come back if any probs occur.
Old 09 August 2008, 05:12 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of interest what figures did it make after he changed to the hybrid?

Trending Topics

Old 09 August 2008, 05:23 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

if you want more power , go HKS or APS end of
Old 09 August 2008, 06:15 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Anymore info?
The point is: He had a bigger turbo, Upgraded fuel Pump (£80), upgraded FPR (£150) Boost Controller (£260) and still managed to get a lower power figure. This was simply down to the core flowing less air through it.

But if you want to save money, you crack on and buy the cheaper one.
Old 09 August 2008, 06:21 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The Hybrid ones are far superior to the Autobahn/copy ones.

Not just the cores, but the quality of the components also (clamps, pipes etc).

Hybrid ones are proven and run on many high powered Imprezas here.

If you want to save yourself a few quid and are not bothered by quality go for a Autobahn one.

Put it this way, we are Autobahn stockists, but would never sell their intercoolers

We have Hybrid Intercoolers in stock and will beat any genuine UK price

Hybrid FMIC Kits - Subaru Impreza - best prices
Old 09 August 2008, 07:19 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

The point is: He had a bigger turbo, Upgraded fuel Pump (£80), upgraded FPR (£150) Boost Controller (£260) and still managed to get a lower power figure. This was simply down to the core flowing less air through it.

But if you want to save money, you crack on and buy the cheaper one.
No Danny thats not the point.

I read what you put down about him having a bigger turbo and what have you but that result is not down to the intercooler?

With the items he had the intercooler alone could not of brought the power down so much lower then your car.

There must of been something else wrong with his car

"Bob" thanks mate ill call you in the week
Old 09 August 2008, 07:55 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a Hybrid RS intercooler from Harvey and the quality is spot on

I've seen the quality of some of the ebay kits which are around £250-£300 and they are pretty bad in comparison !
Old 09 August 2008, 08:11 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

No Danny thats not the point.

I read what you put down about him having a bigger turbo and what have you but that result is not down to the intercooler?

With the items he had the intercooler alone could not of brought the power down so much lower then your car.

There must of been something else wrong with his car

"Bob" thanks mate ill call you in the week
Nothing else wrong with his car, Andy F mapped his car and mine was mapped by Pat H.

He changed the intercooler, injectors to 550's and re-mapped and achived 360BHP!!!!
Old 09 August 2008, 08:31 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Could we have some pics of this hybrid front mount fitted to a uk classic please. It does seem the best bar hks and aps. DO YOU HAVE to cut the inner wing to fit this one?
Old 09 August 2008, 09:23 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dspeed
Could we have some pics of this hybrid front mount fitted to a uk classic please. It does seem the best bar hks and aps. DO YOU HAVE to cut the inner wing to fit this one?
I only managed one photo today as I spent a lot of time dodging the rain. I can take more tomorrow.

I did not have to cut the inner wing to get the pipework through as the existing hole from the old air intake was big enough. I did have to cut a small amount behind the towing point on the passenger side in order to get the pipe to fit around the corner. The pipework is now all fitted - snug fit in places !.

I now have to fit the bumper back on in the morning and have realised just how much I have to cut out - went an bought a Dremel from B&Q tonight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FMIC.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	1909  
Old 09 August 2008, 10:14 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Looks like a good job keith
Old 09 August 2008, 10:40 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

You get what you pay for. Cheap charge air coolers are not worth it. I work on cooling systems on tractors. Forget about if they look good there is a hell of a lot of technology and cfd analysis work that goes into making them. We are talking dimples patterns within the pipework of the charge air cooler to make the air experience turbulence better.

I being boring sorry. But I'd like to be able to fit a tractor cooler to my scoob!

BTW the front mount is far superior to the TMIC. But I like my scoop.
Old 09 August 2008, 10:44 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Looks like a good job keith
Thanks - I think the tricky bit is going to be getting the bumper cut correctly and fitted. I also want to make sure that I get my API driving lights fitted again in the fog light positions - but it's all looking tight at the moment on the pipework.

Still - others have managed before so it must be possible
Old 09 August 2008, 11:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

They are cheap

here is a couple of pics I took of the hybrid core next to the dr725. So make up your own mind Oh and the end tanks are huge on the dr725 as compared to the hybrid as you can plainly see

Last edited by stevebt; 09 August 2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10 August 2008, 01:11 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by BOB'5
The Hybrid ones are far superior to the Autobahn/copy ones.

Not just the cores, but the quality of the components also (clamps, pipes etc).
To be fair, the autobahn ones are a lot better than the run of the mill ebay ones as well. I had an autobahn intercooler and now have an sti8 top mount and making exactly the same bhp (remapped in between).
Old 10 August 2008, 11:37 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dspeed
See here

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...e-go-fmic.html

Ns04
Old 10 August 2008, 12:05 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for in this world and I just cannot see how a kit costing so little can offer anything in terms of real quality.

Remember now, that the overall selling cost has to take into account the initial cost of materials, then labour to produce the product coupled with a profit on top. Something HAS to suffer somewhere when the price is low.

Pay cheap, pay twice.
Old 10 August 2008, 12:26 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Ran into a little bit of a problem this morning, even though the rain had stopped . After cutting the bumper in all required places with the Dremel (which was not as easy as I had hoped), I came up against the problem that the FMIC pipes foul the back of the metal plates that has the three bolt holes for the fog lamps. Don't want to cut or remove these plates ! .

So I took the FMIC off and bent/flattened anything that was stopping the FMIC siting as close to the radiator as possible. Short of cutting into the cross member that sits at the bottom of the radiator, I can't get the FMIC any closer to radiator.

However, still can't clear the back of the fog lamp metal plates .

The only solution I can see and I tested it, is to lower the FMIC and of course the pipes move down as well. If I have a 30mm gap bewteen the top of the FMIC and the cross bar it is bolted to - it will fit. Means that the FMIC sits lower than I wanted and I'm not happy with that.

I need to get some longer bolts to hold the FMIC at the top and make spacers. Am also away for a few days so have called a halt until Weds.

Anyone else had this issue on an MY98 Classic ?. Suggestions welcomed

Also, is Stevebt thinking this is Rear Mount discussion instead of a Front Mount one
Old 10 August 2008, 01:15 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

We've fitted a couple of them on members cars down this way, and on all we had to cut the plate and a bit of the plastic from behind the fog light.

I replaced mine with fog covers as I didn't like the look of the fog lights and never used them anyway. Sold the fog lights for £100 which more than covered the cost of covers with painting
Old 10 August 2008, 01:19 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

We've fitted a couple of them on members cars down this way, and on all we had to cut the plate and a bit of the plastic from behind the fog light.

I replaced mine with fog covers as I didn't like the look of the fog lights and never used them anyway. Sold the fog lights for £100 which more than covered the cost of covers with painting
Thanks for the information - trouble is I have PIA driving lights instead of fog lamps and I don't like to leave home without them at night