Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded cambelt now fitted on MY02's

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2002, 12:02 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bob - I assume they are happy to take your import for servicing (supplied by Bentley's I recall)? Monty's said they'd be pleased to do my Belgian MY02.
Old 07 February 2002, 12:06 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Thumbs up

Hi Bob

Got a loverly long letter from Day's of Chelmsford explaining new servicing and asking me to drop my service book in

SO ITS OFFICIAL

Phil
Old 07 February 2002, 12:17 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Hi Phil

What bit is Official?

Seem to remember you got the MY01 (silver) so I guess the MY01 IS on the new schedule - which would make Monty's incorrect!

Did they say anything about the cambelt?

And what oil do you use?

Cheers

BOB
Old 07 February 2002, 09:04 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

They also were warning me that some WRX Euro imports arriving into the UK are "old" MY01 models that have been stood around at the Dealers in Belgium/Holland. Funny they only said this AFTER I told them I was getting an import 1st March !
Yeh right that's why we've all had sit twiddling our fingers for 4 to 6 mnths waiting for delivery And in any case who cares if it is an MY01....big difference.

And the cambelt being different has absolutely no bearing on the interval change if you think about it, it's still at 60k. They sound about as well informed as us.

Just to throw a spanner in the works I received an email from Belgium after sales informing me that there is no change in their intervals and there will be no change in the new service manuals issued with new cars. Not sure what warranty implications there are with this if we start getting them serviced by the UK under the new UK intervals, which appears to be the case. Iam looking into this up though perhaps the guy in Belgium has been misinformed??? Can't see how they can justify different service intervals for the same car.
Old 07 February 2002, 09:13 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I'm going to stick with 7 500 miles until I'm 100% sure for my import.

Having seen the colour of my oil after 5 000 miles, I'm not sure I want it in for another 5 000 miles. I may stick to 7 500 miles, after all the turbo gives the oil some stick.

Cost savings aren't that big anyway, approx. 300 quid in 60 000 miles.

Got Castrol Magnatec bunged in at Golden's in Huddersfield for the last service. This is a semi-synthetic.

Old 07 February 2002, 09:27 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Bob,

Mine's due about the same time - fantastic!

Has anyone mentioned to you about corrosion warranties, and whether the European import needs any of the 'additional protection' supposedly added to the cars imported by IM? My supplying delaer tells me that this is absurd, and that a Belgian (or indeed other European) is guarnteed against corrosion for 6 years regardless.

We'll probably end up "bumping" into each other in the service department at some time anyway!
Old 07 February 2002, 05:22 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Regardless of what the service interval "should" be I intend to have the oil and filter changed every 3months or 3000miles.

I was a mechanic at a Rover main dealer for many years and know how important oil and filter changes are.

NH, did you see that post regarding oil a while back, think the topic started off about No3 bearing failure, thats where I heard Mobil1 was NOT a good choice for the scooby, and if I recall correctly Magnetec was also mentioned and was said to "break down" very quickly, dont know if its true though?
IMHO the small extra cost of FULLY synthetic is definately worth it.

Harry, have heard several things about the underseal/rustproofing thing, I'm going to wait and see what mine looks like underneath. If I think its sub-standard then I will get it done again.

In 21 days time the scooby should be parked on my drive

I've even had my drive block paved for the new arrival -its just like having a baby!

BOB

Trending Topics

Old 07 February 2002, 05:33 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

HA HA 20 days, 23 hrs and.......

I agree bob I'll be doing roughly the same just trying to point out the warranty implications to others who've said their import is now 10k when offically it's not. Just got feedback from my dealer in Belgium recommending the following:

12.500 Km service interval when you driving the most of the Km on the highway is not a problem but if you use the car for trackingdays or citytrips it's better to change the oil every 5.000 a 6.000 Km

Old 07 February 2002, 05:51 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Re: oil change... I would suggest strongly that you change your oil after 7000 km anyway, and *immediately* after a track day.

It's just a few quid, and your engine will thank you.

About the "had a few left standing there bit", that is true when it comes to LHD MY01's (sales are a complete disaster in Holland/Belgium), but I doubt they would have the same problem with RHD vecicles.

2001 may have been the year where they sold more cars to the UK than to the Benelux

Theo
Old 07 February 2002, 06:49 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the underseal comments Bob. I'll be doing the same, although i've just spoken to the dealer again this PM, and he's adamant that it will be fine, and that there is a full 6 year warranty on the car....
Old 07 February 2002, 07:57 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

I've already received my new 10k interval service book for my MY01 WRX registered 01.11.01.
Will ask 'em about the cambelt thing ASAP.
Old 07 February 2002, 08:03 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

think i will pop down and check this out as well. my01 wrx thought that was on 10k as well
Old 02 June 2002, 11:48 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Have been told by Monty's of Sheffield that the MY02 has an upgraded cambelt fitted and that this is the reason for the new service intervals.

Is this correct?

They also said it is vin/chassis number dependant and can tell you if it applies to your car if you give them the numbers.

They also said that the MY01 is NOT covered by the new servicing schedule and that the initial 1000 mile service/oil change is still required on the MY02.

I am pretty sure that some guys on here have the '01 model and ARE on the new servicing & get new service books for this.

Can anyone confirm these details?

They also were warning me that some WRX Euro imports arriving into the UK are "old" MY01 models that have been stood around at the Dealers in Belgium/Holland. Funny they only said this AFTER I told them I was getting an import 1st March !

They have only had the Subaru franchise since Jan 2002 so I'm not convinced what they are telling me is correct.

Finally, they use "Castrol SLX" fully synthetic oil which the say is the same as Mobil1. Is this a good oil? seem to remember a thread where Mobil1 oil was said to be "bad?" or too thin for the scooby and wasnt recommended. Any Ideas

Any Advice much appreciated

BOB

[Edited by WRXBOB - 2/6/2002 11:48:52 PM]
Old 02 July 2002, 12:13 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Hi Harry

Yeah they will service imports no probs, think they said around £70 for the 1k then around £130 for the 10k and 20k then its dearer for the 30k but cant remember by how much. Cambelt due at 60k.

They said that quite a few people had called them recently asking about servicing of euro imports, you were probaly one of them!

About 3weeks till I get mine...cant wait

Going to call into Burrells of Doncaster some time soon and see what they have to say. Someone on here recommended them(sorry cant remember your name) and it would be easier to get to them for me.

Cheers

BOB

[Edited by WRXBOB - 2/7/2002 12:18:51 AM]
Old 02 July 2002, 07:53 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have had a letter from Cheam Motors specifically saying that MY01 IS covered by the change of service interval and that I should bring the car in at 10K rather than 7.5K. That said, I think I will still get the oil changed at regular intervals inbetween services.

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 2/7/2002 7:54:00 PM]