Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castle Combe

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 08:34 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to Castle Combe in mid March for some track tuition - does anybody have a good knowledge of the track?
Any hints & tips before I get there ?
An ideal would be a website that has a virtual tour of the circuit....in my dreams ?

Cheers

Ro.
Old 06 February 2002, 08:40 AM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Try www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk.
Old 06 February 2002, 09:06 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Watch out for Quarry, it catches everyone out. I left my exhaust there. It's a right-hander and the braking point is in the middle of the previous left-hander. Excellent!

To see how the circuit looks from the wheel pick up a copy of Sports Car GT (now quite old so cheap, but still one of the best) and get the Castle Coombe (sic) addon.

Old 06 February 2002, 09:30 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

XRS is right!

As you go flat-out up Avon Rise, remember to brake carefully before the 90ish left into Quarry. There's a bit of a bump in the track and if you're not careful with your braking it can kick the back end out and have you spinning nicely...

I've got VHS in car footage of the track, when driving my TR7V8 - Only thing is it doesn't show the chicanes they put in since. Which need a new skill-set all of their very own!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a blast.
Old 06 February 2002, 10:30 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

whats the event ?

i love castle coombe - on paper its a bit featureless, but for some reason it just works for me. I think its more technical than it looks (if that makes sense), by working pretty hard on getting things right I could travel faster in the integra than a lot of the "fast" cars - caterhams, 911's and the like. Most circuits have a couple of sections where the fast stuff will just romp away regardless of how badly driven they are. I remember a thread some time ago when some of the track day regulars (stef maybe ?) said that they found it a bit uninteresting. Each to their own i guess.

Your best bet is to get hold of an autosport circuit guide which details each corner. I'm in Thames Ditton, so maybe persuaded to run off a copy for you (actually, nope thats probably infringing some right, so i would never do that)....

Anyway (from memory, and i'm sure someone will correct me )

start finish straight and you're flat out in 4th,
theres a flat right kink and you aim to get your right wheel just hooking the white line at the side of the circuit
maybe change to 5th here
up the hill to avon rise, brake in a straight line either before the crest or after (well, so they say, i've always braked before), but never ever on the crest - or you'll be in the tyres facing the on coming traffic

over the crest and depending on your car you'll find something to aim for before turning right - fast cars tend to go straightish (aiming for the circuits lights), slower cars tend to go a bit wider then turn in more. I like something in the middle.

ok, now into quarry, tighter than it looks so get the car slowed. turned to the apex and on the power early. Its easy to go in too fast here, run wide and have to wait for days before you can ge on the power. Short run up to the first chicain.

You want to turn in and then be on the power all the way through (especially if you're in a low power fwd )

flat though paddock (a bit ballsy here) and hamerdown.

Into tower, which is a nasty off camber right hander with no runoff. However if you hold it in tight you can kind of hook your tyres into the drain / guttering (you'll see what i mean when you're there)

very short run to bobbies

bobbies is quite a bit tighter than the first chicain, which always catches me out, so you have to slow quite a bit otherwise you'll be running over kerbing, grating & grass. But you want to be on the power early as usual.

Down the straight past the pit entrance and into camp, which is very fast. In the integra I'd brake a little, turn in, then be flat through the corner right up again to avon rise. (Camps pretty scarey though). Saying that, ive seen loads of people run wide and just motor across the grass beside the pit wall, so youve probably got more room than it looks.

Over the line and start again

er... hope that helps (doubt it though )

Old 06 February 2002, 12:25 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree completely with Jon's talk-thru... I can even hear the tyres howling and smell the Castrol-R
Old 06 February 2002, 12:30 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

and the sound of the tyres landing on the bonnet...