Sponsored by:

Is Driven still Drivel?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2001, 12:22 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I never said that she couldn't drive - just that when Plato even slightly skidded or went around a corner not perfectly straight she was complaining. Considering rallying involves going around bends at much more extreme angles I found this odd.

He was also not going extremely fast as he was driving a Lexus LS200 around a track at the time if I recall.

Also they claimed that the 3 cars they were reviewing were for trackday usage - so surely the practicality should not make as much of a difference?
Old 17 January 2001, 12:54 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was at an endurance Thunderkart race last year and Mike Brewer turned up in one of the teams.

The track was wet and I was chatting to him beforehand about the conditions. He said - No problem - I'm always driving on wet tracks.

He span on the first bend leaving the pits :-)
Old 17 January 2001, 08:21 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I must say that I am enjoying the current series of driven much more than previously.

Jason P adds a certain element thats different.

Also they seem to be taking a different approch rather than trying to copy top gear.

Liked the track day cars article last night.

robski
Old 17 January 2001, 08:35 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I watched it last night for the first time in ages (mainly because I saw they were reviewing the new Elise) and generally I thought it wasn't too bad. Penny whats-her-name still winds me up with her slightly grating voice, but it was OK and Jason Plato is not a bad presenter - better than Tiff or that other annoying g*t they have on Top Gear at the moment.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 17 January 2001).]
Old 17 January 2001, 08:37 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Watched it last night - not too bad.

It does make me wonder when Penny (a rally driver) gets scared when being driven around by Jason Plato.

The cockney guy is a laugh.

They don't take themselves to seriously so I don't mind watching it.

I thought that they were a bit harsh on the Caterham last night though.
Old 17 January 2001, 08:41 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Driven - Getting better. Even had some Rally action

A lot of people were giving Penny Mallory some stick on this BBS a while back saying she couldn't drive etc etc.

So how many of those people actually did the Network Q and finished above her ?

As for the other motoring show on Tuesday - Pulling Power - Other than Gail Porter and the F Type - Must try harder.
Old 17 January 2001, 08:55 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

TV is a medium, as it is neither rare, nor well done.

I found it odd that the Elise hood took twice as long to fit as the VX200 hood, even though it was practically identical.

Perhaps this was because they had to do the Elise one first, and had it sussed by the time they did the VX220.

Judging a car's leak-proofness by using a high power jet wash seemed a bit OTT.

Also, they reckoned you'd only every trailer your Caterham to track days, as you'd not live with it on the roads... right..

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2001, 08:59 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Doh, I forgot it was on, I could have watched that rather than kill myself at indoor football.
Am I to take it that the VX220 won the group test?
Old 17 January 2001, 09:24 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Robertio,

No. The Lotus won, just, on grounds of desirability over the VX220.

Old 17 January 2001, 11:14 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AWD:
<B>
It does make me wonder when Penny (a rally driver) gets scared when being driven around by Jason Plato.
[/quote]
A lot of performance drivers make terrible passengers, particularly when being driven by other performance drivers. Also, Penny is a rally driver, so might not be so used to tarmac speeds.

As was pointed out, I imagine she can outdrive most of the people who post here!

As for the shootout, this is a programme aimed at the general public first, then the motorsport enthusiast. They were bound to mark down the Caterham because it is little more than a bike on four wheels, whereas the Vauxhall & Lotus are at least somewhat practical.

Personally, I think the show has improved this season and is now better than Top Gear.
Old 17 January 2001, 11:21 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mike Brewer (Cockney guy) was a crap driver though. He couldn't control the Caterham at all, and had his hands (and steering wheel) where all over the place.

He is funny however!!

[This message has been edited by Dream Weaver (edited 17 January 2001).]
Old 17 January 2001, 07:28 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Angry

Forced myself to watch it, but still maintain that Mallory's roadcraft is rubbish - she may be excellent off road, but gives a poor demonstration when being filmed driving on the road.
I'd be interested to hear Stuart H's comments about her but more interestingly about the scottish policeman in "Car Wars" I think it was - who was driving whilst on the phone + changing gear, so no hands on the wheel. Perhaps the level of police driver training includes steering by telepathy !! He had a front seat police passenger, but maybe he was not trained to use the phone. Another shot showed both front passengers not wearing seat belts in a potential chase situation !!
Do as I say not as I do ??
I am only knocking these highly damaging examples of a force trying to do a difficult job - not the entire force. I don't like to see poor standards in those who penalise us for the same poor standards.
Stan