Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 reg Cat D sti, how much it worths?

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2008, 02:35 AM
akcwong
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 reg Cat D sti, how much it worths?

Hi all

I was about to do px deal with a seller with my GTR R33 V-spec for his 04 STI import. However I found that his car is CAT D (he didn't aware of this he said). The report comes up

Stolen & Recovered: This registration was recorded stolen & recovered by the insurance provider on 8 Nov 2006.
Insurance Write-off: This registration was recorded as a Category D write-off on 8 Nov 2006.

Is that mean the car wasn't damaged? How much you think this STI worth now?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 25 July 2008, 03:11 AM
jeromelo
Scooby Regular

No. The car was definetly damaged. For it to be a Cat D, the damage had to be so bad that the insurance company deemed it a total loss.
Personally, I would steer clear of the car due to its history (stolen and cat D!!).

But if you can get a good deal, and if there is evidence of it being fixed properly, then it could be a bargain.

I wouldn't really know how much it would be worth, but would estimate something in the region of £8k give or take.
Old 25 July 2008, 03:23 AM
akcwong
Scooby Newbie

Fair enough, thats what I thought also.

He said he contacted the previous owner and he stated the accident and was repaired, rear end but not much damage...

Well... I will leave it then, don't want having difficulties selling the car in the future.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 25 July 2008, 10:32 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Not worth buying unless ridiculously cheap as it will always be much harder to sell than a non Cat car, and its not as if there is a shortage of them for sale.

Would also run a mile if the seller said they werent aware it was Cat D - sounds very fishy.
Old 25 July 2008, 10:56 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeromelo
No. The car was definetly damaged. For it to be a Cat D, the damage had to be so bad that the insurance company deemed it a total loss.
Personally, I would steer clear of the car due to its history (stolen and cat D!!).

But if you can get a good deal, and if there is evidence of it being fixed properly, then it could be a bargain.

I wouldn't really know how much it would be worth, but would estimate something in the region of £8k give or take.
Not so. The company is perfectly entitled to record the vehicle as category D or category B salvage and submit a V23 to the DVLA. Ive seen slaughtered cars (covered in dye too!) down to mend and dented cars down to break.
Old 25 July 2008, 11:36 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ditto above.

Son in law had a New Beetle in their garage that had been transported with the window open. It got wet in side and was Cat D'd for £10k. They dried it out and flogged it for £16K.

Bargain.
Old 25 July 2008, 02:43 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by akcwong
Fair enough, thats what I thought also.

He said he contacted the previous owner and he stated the accident and was repaired, rear end but not much damage...

Well... I will leave it then, don't want having difficulties selling the car in the future.

Thanks

Andrew
If the current seller was not aware of the previous accident, he would have purchased the car within the past year or so for a **** load more than he should have paid, given a proper car versus a CAT D will always be different values - thus why is he not pretty annoyed he was duped?

Well dodgy...
Old 25 July 2008, 03:19 PM
akcwong
Scooby Newbie

Well... he initially wants my car + 3k, then agreed my car + 2k, then I found out CAT D, so he tries my car + 1k. haha. £1k less
Old 25 July 2008, 03:39 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats your car worth?
Old 26 July 2008, 12:48 AM
akcwong
Scooby Newbie

Well.. its this one Nissan Skyline R33 GTR V-Spec Low Mileage GT-R Vspec 96 on eBay, also, Nissan, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 01-Aug-08 16:14:01 BST)

WRC-Sales offered me £8500 for p/x. So probably around £9-10k for private sale.
Old 26 July 2008, 12:58 AM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Saw a WRX 03 go for £5000 cat d repaired on ebay a while back
Old 26 July 2008, 01:43 AM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Hi all

I was about to do px deal with a seller with my GTR R33 V-spec for his 04 STI import. However I found that his car is CAT D (he didn't aware of this he said). The report comes up

Stolen & Recovered: This registration was recorded stolen & recovered by the insurance provider on 8 Nov 2006.
Insurance Write-off: This registration was recorded as a Category D write-off on 8 Nov 2006.

Is that mean the car wasn't damaged? How much you think this STI worth now?

Thanks

Andrew
Has it actually been damaged? My first scooby (classic) many many years ago was Cat D as stolen recovered. It appeared on the register just as you have quoted above.

I personally wouldn't be giving him any cash. I know off an 05 plate which has been lightly damaged and repaired for 10k. Nearly bought it myself but went for a clean JDM car instead.
Old 26 July 2008, 02:25 AM
akcwong
Scooby Newbie

Its actually damaged, every wheels were damaged and pointed to the wrong way. I managed to find the history of the damage from a friendly member here.

I won't go for it definately. Probably I will p/x + cash for 04/05 STI with DCCD or V5/6 Type R which I owned before. Type R probably hold its price better, and lighter, so more fun to drive I believe. Never driven newage before, any common?
Old 26 July 2008, 11:15 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Its actually damaged, every wheels were damaged and pointed to the wrong way. I managed to find the history of the damage from a friendly member here.
ive advertised an 05 Sti with 19k on here catd fpr £9000 had no genuine interest

can you see if your friendly member on here can provide some details on this car for me please
Old 27 July 2008, 03:51 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I'd also stay well clear of a Cat D car unless I planned to keep it forever as selling will always be a problem. You'll never really know how bad the damage was & the seller will always make out it was minor Cat D is a write off, pure & simple.

http://991.com/newGallery/Hearsay-Pu...ple-354284.jpg

TX.