Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions from turbo gurus please?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2008, 07:42 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions from turbo gurus please?

Hi folks, my MY95WRX has been making an odd noise on boost recently, kind of like a whistling - the best way to describe it is like a quiet electric drill spinning up as the boost builds. It starts at 2800rpm, builds in pitch until 3500rpm (or thereabouts) and then stays at a constant pitch until redline.
It's not overly loud, but the noise was definately not there before. No impact on performance.
I have had the intercooler and pipework off to search for a leak in the intake tract after the turbo, and can't find one (although I haven't pressure tested the IC).
So, with my (very) limited knowledge I figure that the bearings are close to fried on the turbo? If that's the case, what will happen when it fails? Are we talking fins hit housing, filling the engine with bits of metal (I don't like the idea of that scenario.....).
Please, please, please. Any input is appreciated. I really don't want to be taking the turbo off if it's not absolutely necessary. And if I do, will one of the TD05 rebuild kits do the job?
Thanks guys (and gals).
Old 22 July 2008, 08:39 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone? Please, at least tell me my diagnosis is bo**ocks, that would make my day!!!