Sponsored by:

Car Jacking - How safe are we?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2002, 12:58 PM
ShaggyMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

GMTV have gone to town on this subject this morning but, with the recent statistics are we unsafe or is this subject of expensive cars being jacked just media hype?

I have 'ANTI CAR JACKING' on my Clifford alarm that locks the doors when I turn the ignition on but, that's my only defence (legally) against a would be scum bag trying to steal my car with me sat in it?

Any thoughts on this subject?

Chris
Old 05 February 2002, 01:01 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Locking the doors wont really make a difference - The people who are doing it now bump into you, then when you get out of the car they thump you and take the car. No easy answer unfortunately, as you don't know if it was a legitimate bump until they thump you. Possibly using those inflatable passengers? They would be less likely to chose a car with 4 occupants
Old 05 February 2002, 01:07 PM
Cola 1
Scooby Regular

Well for once I have something to say on the subject as I was nearly carjacked a couple of weeks ago

http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030578

Go on... have a look at the darkside
Old 05 February 2002, 01:08 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Talking

There have been a lot of threads about this topic, most of which result in Get tracker & cat 1 alarm/imobiliser with blackjax . Of course it usually diverts to "can i carry a replica gun" or just give them it and claim your insurance if it is damaged.

IMHO safety is more important than the car, you can replace the car. I know this is probably what most of the gits are banking on u feeling, but hnestly is it worth getting dun over for. Anyway chances are you'd beat them to a pulp and be charged for it, screwed up legal system.

We need to think of rational solution, especially car maunfacturers/insurance companies. After all if we can get to the moon (no not in yer scoob) we can stop cars being driven by gits.

Just my 2p worth (again)
Old 05 February 2002, 01:30 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

The people who are doing it now bump into you, then when you get out of the car they thump you and take the car
So don't get out if you don't have to. You are entirely within your rights to ask them to follow you to the nearest police station. All you need to do is unwind your window half an inch and tell them this (assuming your doors are locked). If they get abusive or violent, drive off without hesitation.
Old 05 February 2002, 01:53 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Angry

post script to the previous message..

..... but do then actually drive to the police station and report the whole thing or it is YOU who will have committed an offence.

What a wonderful world....
Old 05 February 2002, 01:59 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

There was a copper interviewed on the radio about this last week and he said if you have doubts then you will not get into trouble for driving straight to a cop shop instead of getting out and risking it. However it would be wise to try and get the other cars details in case they drove off, it being their fault and all!

Trending Topics

Old 05 February 2002, 02:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Put it this way, if it's between my life and the car, they can have the car. hopefully the tracker would lead plod to the car.

Did have a chat with someone about this type of thing, and the insurance company should pay out as it's theft, and you're covered for that.

Bottom line is there is nothing really that can be done, if someone is going to bump you and then clobber you, or worse, then there's not a lot you can do, u pull a bat, they pull a knife, you pull a knive, they pull a gun, you pull a gun, they either run, shoot you back. no win situation.

I pray I never experience this first hand, I really do.

am waiting to see if blunkett will come through with his plans on being harder on car jackers.
Old 05 February 2002, 02:58 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Lets hope he cracks down on all crime - cos it doesnt make much sense if your attacked and they get 1month suspended time - crazy
Old 05 February 2002, 03:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I think that car jackers will be done for aggrivated robbery as most use violence and i think thats a minimum of 5yrs prison sentence, otherwise if you have any other type of security on your car i would still go for a blackjak unit as it can be used as a "stand alone" unit.

Tony
Old 05 February 2002, 04:54 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

What's a blackjak?
Old 05 February 2002, 05:12 PM
JohnBarnesAndHisGloves
Scooby Regular

blip- its one of them chewy penny sweeks, the one in the black and white wrapper
Old 05 February 2002, 06:46 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

He he he!! I used to love those. Do you remember Fruit Salads too?
Old 05 February 2002, 07:41 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Whats a penny sweek ?
Old 06 February 2002, 08:47 AM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Spangels were the best, anyway are we safe ?

Its amazing how so many threads seem to drift of to that distant land called nod.
Old 06 February 2002, 08:50 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Yeah I agree.

So back to my original question, what is a blakjack/blackjax, that was mentioned in this thread?
Old 06 February 2002, 10:08 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Go to Google and search for the words "Blackjax" and "Security"...
Old 06 February 2002, 10:35 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

MY old man was in the Met traffic division and he always stated that you shouldn't lock yr doors when in the car because he has spent many a time desperately trying to rescue victims from car accidents where the doors have been locked(the rest of the time just screwing innoccent victims of course!).

I guess some cars automatically unlock in an accident but Im not sure the Scooby does. I personally tend to only lock my doors when in a suspect area (like Orpington ) but when out on the road I unlock them again.

Mind you, the flame throwers fitted in SA. Now theres a thing

Old 06 February 2002, 10:45 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

For Blip and others here is a document describing the Blackjax system. It is in PDF format so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it.

As regards locking your doors - I'll take my chances thanks - my doors are always locked.

I can't help thinking a lot of this is hysteria. Car jacking has been around for ages. The media has got hold of this as if it was something new. Anyone who lives or works in the Slough area will testify that the problem is not new. Remember all the fuss over so-called 'dangerous dogs' and the crappy piece of knee-jerk legistation that was pushed through Parliament as a result?

It certainly pays to be aware and take reasonable precautions, but living in fear is not the way to go. It that is the outcome, then the scum have already won.

Chris
Old 06 February 2002, 10:50 AM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Red face

Just got my scooby and as I live in London and now have four doors instead of two, I always keep the doors locked when I'm driving. After all they open automatically when you pull the handle to get out. Since these threads have been going and the recent news etc, I have been more nervous about cars steaming up behind me at lights etc when I'm stationary. Started to leave more space between me and the car in front so I can ease forwrd if someone gets too close.
Touch wood I've been ok so far and I'm more careful than I've ever been before, but if these scum want your car then they're going to get it.
Old 06 February 2002, 05:52 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Cheers!
Old 06 February 2002, 06:16 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Wow another car-jack thread, who can imagine?

Oh well here's a suggestion, when in the process of being car-jacked, speak to the car-jackers in an Irish or Arabic accent and tell them in a very nervous tone that you must get to the parliment in less than 1 hour to do Allahs or Jesus's work. Tell them that they wouldn't want to be around when you get there or delay your journey.

Oh yeah don't forget to mention that you're a bit confused with the timezone and you have a "chicken" cooking in the oven and you might have the timer set to go off prematurely. Ask them if they can get you to the building in the quickest way possible, you will gladly hand over the car to them.

After saying that, lets see if those car-jackers still want to have your car or not.
Old 06 February 2002, 10:55 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Irish accent works, three guys tried to mug me ages ago, after a torrent of swearing in my best Belfast accent involving the words.....kneecaps.....yours.......bat.........cor dless black and decker....f3ck off! They legged it

Since that day i became a martial arts instructor determined not to ever rely on bluffing again. Although to be fair not many stupid enough to mess with ppl from Belfast or Glasgow.
Old 07 February 2002, 10:31 AM
ANDY330
Scooby Regular

P1 Enthusiast,

sounds good .... until they reply in an irish accent too!!!!
Old 02 May 2002, 04:44 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Car jacking has been going on for a long time, it has been picked up by the press recently due to some very unfortunate people getting hurt/killed. It was not long ago that we were all worried about being killed by chemical weapons but no one goes on about that any more. Be careful and allways lock your doors.

[Edited by sillysi - 2/5/2002 4:45:56 PM]
Old 02 June 2002, 09:08 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Oh well here's a suggestion, when in the process of being car-jacked, speak to the car-jackers in an Irish or Arabic accent and tell them in a very nervous tone that you must get to the parliment in less than 1 hour to do Allahs or Jesus's work. Tell them that they wouldn't want to be around when you get there or delay your journey
[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] fcukwit. Try going through it and then come up with some smart@rse comments.
Has been going on for ages but at least now the general public are all aware and hopefully with a little caution more attempts will be thwarted.

[Edited by bug-eyed wonder - 2/6/2002 9:09:08 PM]