Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Question for any scoobynet pro-painter, paint suppliers.

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2008, 11:45 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Question for any scoobynet pro-painter, paint suppliers.

I've been doing my own spraying for about 8 years; I started off with Celly and I moved onto 2K High Solids & Acrylic around 4-5 years ago. I was told the new High Solids 2K paint had much lower isocyanate levels and safety wise you require a respirator with an Activated Carbon filter and avoid skin contact... Now I've only done little bits and bobs in a ventilated garage and only exposed my self to the dust and fumes for short periods of time.

Now my question:

Recently I have started renting a large fitted workshop with a couple of friends and we want to respray two cars which is going to mean lots of exposure! Getting an air fed mask seems like a waste of time as the compressor is in the same place as we will be spraying so are these activated carbon filters safe enough for that kind of exposure? A friend of mine has a body shop and he relies on them but he does also have a proper ventilated booth

There is very little information on the net, there are pleanty of topics discussing the dangerous of isocyanate in 2 Pack paint but I'm under the impression that the later High Solids paints are alot safer than the earlier stuff.

Cheers for any info
Old 10 July 2008, 12:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id research for yourself, rather than asking sprayers: theyre all mentalists with a death wish...
Old 10 July 2008, 01:06 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is theres is hardly any definitive data available

The government recommends you use an airfed positive pressure mask when using 2 Pack but the modern stuff isnt really the same.